Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Cruse

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

janet

janet Report 7 Jan 2013 00:42

Hi everyone. I am searching for any information on my grandfather George Cruse. He was born in Romford, Essex in 1897, and I am told went to South Africa in 1926, and then the next info sees him boarding a ship for India in 1936. I have now found out that he died in Manchester in 1950, but don't know where he was in between. Would like to know if there is anyone out there who knew him or if he has any other family. My mother had not seen him since she was 2 years old. I would love to have any information on George that anyone might have. Thank you so much.
Jan

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jan 2013 00:48

This looks like your grandfather in the 1911 census:-

1911 census transcription details for: 76 St Margarets Road Barking

National Archive Reference:
RG14PN9923 RG78PN522 RD191 SD3 ED13 SN190
Reg. District: Romford
Sub District: Barking Town
Parish: Barking
Enum. District: 13

Address: 76 St Margarets Road Barking
County: Essex

Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married Sex Age Birth Year Occupation Where Born

CRUSE, James Head Married
24 years M 44 1867 Crane Driver Gas Works Wallenham
CRUSE, Jane Wife Married F 44 1867 Stratford Essex
CRUSE, Jane Daughter Single F 21 1890 Waitress Dagenham Essex
CRUSE, James Henry Son Single M 17 1894 Labourer Dagenham Essex
CRUSE, Florance Emenline Daughter Single F 15 1896 Factory Hand Dagenham Essex
CRUSE, George Son M 14 1897 Barking Essex<<<<<<<<<<<<<
CRUSE, Albert Jonh Son M 5 1906 East Ham Essex

Kath. x

jax

jax Report 7 Jan 2013 02:03

Are you sure the George Cruse that went to India and also died in Manchester was your George?

Not seeing him going to SA in 1926

Did your mother live in Manchester before he left?

Is this his marriage?

England & Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005
about George Cruse
Name: George Cruse
Spouse Surname: Burgess
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1920
Registration district: Romford
Inferred County: Essex
Volume Number: 4a
Page Number: 1342
Find Spouse: Lilian F Burgess

One daughter born Romford 1921

jax

jax Report 7 Jan 2013 02:29

Maybe the South African one?

UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960
about Mr G Cruse
Name: Mr G Cruse
Birth Date: abt 1897
Departure Date: 19 Nov 1926
Port of Departure: Southampton, England
Destination Port: Cape
Ship Name: Walmer Castle
Search Ship Database: Search the 'Walmer Castle' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Union-Castle Mail S S Co Ltd
Official Number: 114839
Master: T H Wilford

Although this person was living in Belfast and he did not give England as his place of birth

passenger transcript details
Name: George CRUSE
Date of departure: 24 September 1936
Port of departure: Liverpool
Passenger destination port: Calcutta, India
Passenger destination: Calcutta, India

Date of Birth: 1897 (calculated from age)
Marital status:
Sex: Male
Passenger recorded on: Page 1 of 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ship:
Official Number:
Master's name:
Steamship Line:
Where bound:
Square feet:
Registered tonnage:
Passengers on voyage:
CUSTODIAN
T J Lacey
Thos. & Jas. Harrison
Calcutta, India

Gives an address in Manchester and intended on staying in India....if he came back I would have thought it would have been after the war

janet

janet Report 7 Jan 2013 04:21

Thanks for this. Yes, My grandfather was the same George Cruse, but not sure about the Belfast bit! I was born in Hertfordshire and my mum and her parents were all born in Essex. I, and family have lived in New Zealand for the past 40 years. Mum didn't remember ever knowing her father, so didn't know much about him at all, and she sadly died at age 67. I have traced my great grandparents etc. back quite a long way, but what happened to George in between 1936 in India, and 1952 in Manchester is what I am trying to sort out. My grandmother was indeed Lilian, and my mum Iris Lilian, but no one seems to know anything about George and what he did after 1936. I would just like to know if he ever remarried, or had any other children or what led him to Manchester. All very mysterious, and just wondering if I have any aunts or uncles or cousins out there that I don't know about. Thanks Jax. All information is good.

jax

jax Report 7 Jan 2013 04:36

Do you have the Manchester death cert?

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2006
about George Cruse
Birth Date: abt 1898
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1950
Age at Death: 52
Registration district: Manchester
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 10e
Page: 58

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966
about George Cruse
Probate Date: 6 Jan 1951
Death Date: 14 Dec 1950
Death Place: Manchester, England
Registry: Manchester, England

effects £157 3s 2d to Rose Cruse widow

jax

jax Report 7 Jan 2013 04:41

??

Marriages Dec 1943 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cruse George Pollard Birmingham 6d 568
Pollard Rose Cruse Birmingham 6d 568

You would need the marriage cert to see if it is your grandfather

Have you tried to contact anyone else that has george cruse born Romford/Barking in their tree?

janet

janet Report 7 Jan 2013 08:44

Hi Jax, what a treasure you are!!! I must say the widow, Rose has shocked me a bit, especially with the date of 1943. My grandmother was still alive then and as far as I know they were never divorced!!! but maybe it's somewhere to start. I did try to contact others, and did get lots of information on ancestors, but no one who knew where and what George did from 1936. Thank you so very much for all this information. He seems to be the "gap" in the family tree. I will now try the Avenue of Rose Pollard and see if that comes up with anyone else.

I so envy all the people like you, who actually KNOW what they are doing with genealogy. It's not so easy from the antipodes! Thanks again. Have a lovely day.