Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Woolcott

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 7 Jan 2013 17:39

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me what Rowton House, 55 Fieldgate, Whitechapel, London was. Maybe a prison?.
I think my Thomas b 1877 was there as he was not with his family on the 1911 census, his wife was down as wife not widow.
Thank you,
Ann.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jan 2013 17:41

Have you tried googling for info?

Always the place to start.............

If it had been a prison, he would not be described as a 'resident'

Dea

Dea Report 7 Jan 2013 17:42

Always try google for this sort of thing..............

Jump to: navigation, search
The Rowton House in Highgate, Birmingham. Now a hotel

Rowton Houses were a chain of hostels built in London, England by the Victorian philanthropist Lord Rowton to provide decent accommodation for working men in place of the squalid lodging houses of the time.

George Orwell, in Down & Out In Paris and London, wrote about lodging houses: "The best are the Rowton Houses, where the charge is a shilling, for which you get a cubicle to yourself, and the use of excellent bathrooms. You can also pay half a crown for a special, which is practically hotel accommodation. The Rowton Houses are splendid buildings, and the only objection to them is the strict discipline, with rules against cooking, card playing, etc."[1]

The Rowton Houses throughout London were:

Vauxhall, 1892
Kings Cross, 1894 (the serial killer John Christie stayed here for four nights shortly before his arrest)
Parkview House in Newington Butts, 1897. Demolished in 2007.
Hammersmith, 1897, later demolished
Tower House in Whitechapel, 1902. The building has since been developed into luxury housing. Joseph Stalin stayed there for a fortnight in 1907.[2]
Arlington House in Camden Town, 1905.[3] The last and largest of the Houses, and the only one to remain in use as a hostel (as of 2011).

The architect for the bulk of the houses was Harry Bell Measures FRIBA, who also designed the tube stations for the Central London Railway in 1900 and was well known as the designer of many army barracks.

There was also a Rowton House in Highgate, Birmingham, that opened on 29 June 1903. It was built by the Birmingham Rowton Houses Ltd, from the designs and under the supervision of Measures. This building later became a hotel, the Paragon[4] and [1]

Dea x

ann

ann Report 7 Jan 2013 17:47

Hi,
Thank you for the advise. I always google other thing but somehow never thought of using it for researching ancestry.
Silly me.
Regards,
Ann. :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Jan 2013 17:49

Thomas Woolcott
England and Wales Census, 1911
birth Stepney, Middlesex
census 1911 Whitechapel, Whitechapel E, London, England
nameThomas Woolcott
eventCensus
event date1911
genderMale
age34
birthplaceStepney, Middlesex
record typeInstitutionregistration districtWhitechapelsub-districtWhitechapelparishWhitechapelcountyLondon

ann

ann Report 7 Jan 2013 17:51

Hi AnnCardiff,
That sounds like him.
Thank you
Ann

Gee

Gee Report 7 Jan 2013 18:01

1911 England Census
about Thomas Woolcott
Name: Thomas Woolcott
Age in 1911: 34