Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

amendments to certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debra

Debra Report 19 Jan 2013 08:26

I have a death cert for a Francis Conmy. In the name of the deceased section it shows Frances with the e crossed through and i added. Against the alteration is recorded (17). Similarly in the informant's name box the informant is shown as son (18) stepson on this occassion there is no crossing through.

Does anyone know if the (17) and (18) are due to the alterations and if so is there a separate record of why these were changed.

Many thanks
Debra

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Jan 2013 08:50

Well the amendment to the first name is because the deceased was male and the name originally spelt was the female version. The 17 would refer to the file nos in a separate entry book as a cross reference

Not sure what you mean by the informant correction

patchem

patchem Report 19 Jan 2013 08:52

You have not said which country and when they died.
Have you tried a google search to see what you can find?

Added:
Appears to use Frank on the censuses, so you can understand how the son/stepson got it wrong.

Debra

Debra Report 19 Jan 2013 09:11

Sorry for the delay in responding just seen your responses

Informant's name shows as F. A,. Conmy son (18) stepson then his address in York

Death cert dated 1926 in York England

Have tried Google but all I seem to get is how to order a cert and who can have amended a cert

patchem

patchem Report 19 Jan 2013 09:23

Phone them up and ask?
Talking to proper people can be very useful.
Even ask at your local offices.

Debra

Debra Report 19 Jan 2013 09:41

Will give it a go - thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Jan 2013 10:28

The registrar keeps his own index of corrections he has made to certificates. The numbers next to the corrections are the numbers he will have in his index (like a list of every correction he has made to every certificate he has issued). I doubt that these are available for the public to see.

As already suggested the first correction was because he spelt the name Francis with the female spelling, and the second correction was because he put son instead of stepson. Every correction has to be numbered and should also be initialed with the registrar's initials (although this doesn't always happen).

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Jan 2013 11:01

The reasons for the changes on the cert are self-evident

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Jan 2013 11:05

Deaths Jun 1926 (>99%)
Conmy Francis 70 York 9d 26

Is this the stepson's death?

Deaths Mar 1948 (>99%)
Conmy Francis A 66 Bulmer 1b 616

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Jan 2013 11:17

???????

CONMY, Frank Head Married M 55 1856 Labourer Bricklayers Malton Yorkshire VIEW
CONMY, Margaret Wife Married30 years F 51 1860 At Sea VIEW
CONMY, Francis Albert Son Single M 29 1882 Fitters Labourer Market Weighton VIEW
CONMY, Parick Spouse Single M 24 1887 Labourer Farm York Yorkshire VIEW
CONMY, Mary Daughter Single F 19 1892 Factory Hand York Yorkshire VIEW
CONMY, James Son M 14 1897 Messenger Boy Pocklington Yorks VIEW
CONMY, Robert Son M 9 1902 At School Pocklington Yorks VIEW
CONMY, Thomas Grandchild M 4 1907 Yorks VIEW

They lied about the duration of their marriage

Marriages Mar 1886 (>99%)
ADAMS Dinah York 9d 87
BARRY Margaret York 9d 87
CONMY Frank York 9d 87
Taylor Henry York 9d 87

Debra

Debra Report 20 Jan 2013 08:08

Thank you all for your response. I have all the information that everybody has added . My reason for the original enquiry was to find out if the numbers were numbers given to the corrections which may be then separately logged and may hold further clues. Looking for the birth parents of F A Conmy.

Many thanks for evryones help.
Debra

wisechild

wisechild Report 20 Jan 2013 08:34

It looks as though he was born before Margaret Barry married Frank Conmy.
According to the 1901 census, Margaret was born in Ireland.
Have you looked for a birth registration for Francis Albert under her maiden name of Barry?

Debra

Debra Report 20 Jan 2013 08:49

Margaret's surname is still in question, could be Barry or Berry although her names are Margaret Maud (taken from the death record of her son Robert Owen Conmy).

There are two sons in question - Francis Albert Conmy (bc1882 Market Weighton) and Thomas William Berry/Conmy (bc1883 Selby). I believe I have the correct birth cert for Thomas William, parents show as William Berry and Margaret Berry formerley Graham

Unfortunately all descendants of Francis Albert are now deceased so cannot clarify with anyone - only found out he was a step son when I order the death cert as all previous records show him as son.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jan 2013 10:05

Have you looked for a marriage for the parents named on the 1883 cert?

The notes referred to on the cert will merely state the reason for the alteration..............they won't go into detail about the informant's parentage, and they are unlikely in any case to be publicly available

If you purchase the 1886 marriage cert, you will find out if Margaret had been married before

It seems strange that they lied in 1911 about how long they'd been married, if the woman had been married before.

Normally, that only happens where the oldest child/ren is/are illegitimate

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jan 2013 10:14

1891 census shows three sons born before the marriage

1891 England Census about Frank Conney
Name: Frank Conney
[Frank Conmy]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Frank Conney
Mother's Name: Margaret Conney
Where born: Yorkshire, England
Civil parish: All Saints Peasholm
Ecclesiastical parish: St Cuthberts
Town: York
County/Island: Yorkshire

Registration district: York
Sub-registration district: Walmgate
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 3892
Folio: 60
Page Number: 20
Household Members:
Name Age
Frank Conney 35
Margaret Conney 30
Frank Conney 9
Thomas Wm Conney 8
John Conney 6
Patrick James Conney 4
Arthur Conney 3
Martin Conney 1

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jan 2013 10:15

British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920
Name: Frank Conmy
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Age at enlistment: 33
Residence: 56 Dennis St, Walmgate York
Document Year: 1915
Regiment Name: Royal Engineers
Number of images: 3

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jan 2013 10:17

I wouldn't place too much reliance on the added second forename for Margaret...............no indication anywhere else that it existed

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jan 2013 10:20

Births Jun 1885 (>99%)
Conmy John Easingwold 9d 417

Debra

Debra Report 20 Jan 2013 10:58

Hi Reggie

I have the marriage cert for Margaret & Frank. Margerat is said to be a spinster and Frank a widower. Frank previous marriage was to Catherine Boyne but she died in or shortly after child birth. From the marriage of Catherine & Frank there were two children. Frank who died at birth and Catherine (Kate). In 1881 Kate is in the workhouse but no sign of Frank. Kate eventually is retrieved from the workhouse by her maternal grandmother. Kate I believe is the mother of Thomas the grandson who is on the 1911 census living with Frank & Margaret. Kate if the mother never claims Thomas because he was brought up by his aunt (Mary Beatrice Conmy - my gt grandmother). Kate eventually marries and moves to Australia where she dies in 1918.

The birth record of John Conmy b1885 shows parents to be Frank Conmy and Margaret Berry (hence why I started researching Berry aswell as Barry).

Regards
Debra