Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am totally stumped :(

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 19 Jan 2013 22:13

Hi all

I don't know if anyone can help me. I am fairly new to this and have come to a dead end. This is what i have so far:

Christopher Buckley, born in 1902 in Fermoy, Cork. He was in the army and on his Baptism certificate, it says that his parents are Patrick Buckley, Army Pensioner and Margaret Hayes. His 'sponser' (godparent) was Nora Hayes.

I cannot find anything else about Patrick Buckley or Margaret Hayes. I don't have the year of their birth, marriage or deaths. I assume them to come from Ireland and that Patrick was in the army. I have searched census and BMD but can't find anything (I can't even find Christopher on 1901 or 1911 census).

If Patrick was in the army, could his details be in the military records? This is a whole new area of Genealogy to me and i don't know where to start.

If anyone can help me i would be really grateful. Many thanks

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Jan 2013 22:24

Christopher Buckley, born in 1902 in Fermoy, Cork. He was in the army and on his Baptism certificate, it says that his parents are Patrick Buckley, Army Pensioner and Margaret Hayes. His 'sponser' (godparent) was Nora Hayes.

When was Christopher 'in the army'?

What relation is he to you?

You say that he was born in Fermoy in 1902.............do you have a birth cert?

His baptism record doesn't actually tell you his birthplace - or year of birth.

Andrew

Andrew Report 19 Jan 2013 22:26

Possible 1911 census

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Buckley Patrick 49 Male Head of Family R C Co Cork Labourer Read and write - Married - - - -
Buckley Margaret 40 Female Wife R C Co Cork - Read and write - Married - 18 7 7
Buckley John 15 Male Son R C Co Cork Labourer Read and write - - - - - -
Buckley Margret 10 Female Daughter R C Co Cork A School Read and write - - - - - -
Buckley Christie 9 Male Son R C Co Cork A School Read and write - - - - - -
Buckley Arthour 8 Male Son R C Co Cork A School Read and write - - - - - -
Buckley Joseph 7 Male Son R C Co Cork A School Read and write - - - - - -
Buckley Michel 6 Male Son R C Co Cork A School Read and write - - - - - -
Buckley Patrick 3 Male Son R C

Andy

Catherine

Catherine Report 19 Jan 2013 22:27

1911?

Christopher Buckley, "Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958"

name: Christopher Buckley
registration district: Cork
event type: BIRTHS
registration quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1902
estimated birth year:
age (at death):
mother's maiden name:
film number: 101069
volume number: 5
page number: 151
digital folder number: 4193983
image number: 00235
Citing this Record

"Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBKL-Q6P : accessed 19 Jan 2013), Christopher Buckley, Oct - Dec 1902; citing vol. 5, p. 151, General Registry, Custom House, Dublin, Ireland; FHL microfilm 101069

................If Christopher was born in 1902 then he wouldn't be on the 1901 census!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Jan 2013 22:30

It seems that he IS on 1911 census................!

Catherine

Catherine Report 19 Jan 2013 22:58

For info the family in 1911 census were living at the following address:-

Residents of a house 5 in Grange East (Fermoy Rural, Cork)

married 18yrs
7 children born
7 children living

Michael

Michael Report 20 Jan 2013 14:09

Thank you all so much for your replies - i am amazed at how many people took the time to look into this for me and reply, it is much appreciated.

Through your replies i can now see where i have gone wrong. i assumed that Irish Census was included in the UK census. I didn't realise that it was seperate. The reason i couldn't find Christopher, is that he is listed as a male called 'Christie'. We know that he would have been 9 at the time of the 1911 census and seeing the age of Christie on the census has confirmed to me that we are looking at the right family.

You can see how i was tying myself in knots, searching the 1901 census when he was born in 1902!! lol

Thank you all so much for help