Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lost Uncle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 2 Feb 2013 15:44

Hi

Am looking for my husbands Uncle David John Morgans born 1902 Bronant, Cardiganshire son of Evan and Elizabeth Morgans and believed to have emigrated to the USA in his early 20's.

Thankyou

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Feb 2013 15:48

Hello Helen, welcome to the boards.

Do you have him in the 1911 census?

I'm not seeing anything obvious on shipping lists. His exact date of birth would be a big help.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Feb 2013 15:55

1911 for our reference:

MORGANS, Evan Penteulu Priod M 31 1880 Llanfnrwr Amaethyddol Ceredigion Lledrod
MORGANS, Elizabeth Gwraig Priod F 38 1873 Ceredigion Carm
MORGANS, David John Mab M 8 1903 Ceredigion Carm
MORGANS, Jane Merch F 7 1904 Ceredigion Lledrod
MORGANS, Margaret Mary Merch F 4 1907 Ceredigion Lledrod
MORGANS, Elizabeth Ann Merch F 2 1909 Ceredigion Lledrod

RG number: RG14 Piece: 33471
Reference: RG14PN33471 RG78PN1922 RD608 SD1 ED3 SN20
Registration District: Tregaron
Sub District: Gwnnws
Enumeration District: 3
Parish: Lower Lledrod

Address: Llocan Bronant Llanilar County: Cardiganshire

5 children born, 4 still alive.

Helen

Helen Report 3 Feb 2013 15:10

Hi MarieCeleste

The 1911 census above is the correct family the children were all born at the farm which should read Llocau Bach, Bronant.

Sorry don't have any other information

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 3 Feb 2013 16:45

A possible...although to Canada not USA

UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960

Name: David Morgans
Birth Date: abt 1904
Departure Date: 12 Apr 1929
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Destination Port: St John, New Brunswick, Canada
Ship Name: Duchess of Richmond
Search Ship Database: Search the 'Duchess of Richmond' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Canadian Pacific Railway
Official Number: 160631
Master: Captain Hamilton

Last address in Uk given....1 Windway Rd, Victoria Pk, Cardiff

Age...25yr...occupation given...Farming

Appears to be traveling alone

Misty x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 Feb 2013 16:55

On arrival in Canada, the David Morgan that Misty found has an occupation of Motor Driver, was born Lampeter and nok is mother Mrs M Morgan at the address shown above.

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 3 Feb 2013 17:03

That's a shame....will look again

What makes you think he went to USA, Helen ?

Misty x

Helen

Helen Report 5 Feb 2013 12:06

Thankyou both for looking

My husband had always been told by his parents (both deceased) he had an uncle who emigrated to the USA and when I started his family history we went to see an elderly gentleman who has always lived next door to Llocau Bach and he can remember Evan and Elizabeth getting mail from the USA in the 1930's and 40's but not what area he was living in.

Helen

John

John Report 5 Oct 2015 17:08

Hi Helen,

I hope you can still read these posts!

Margaret Mary - David John's sister - was my great grandmother. Her son, Evan John, was my grandfather and his daughter, Mary, my mother. I guess your husband and my mother are 1st cousins once removed

My mother grew up on a small farm next to Llocau, called Esgairfynwent. My grandparents were there from the late 50s - mid 80s. The elderly gentleman you visited could have been Daniel Jones, Bronfynwent, which is next -door. He died circa 1980. His son David still lives there.

My mother thinks that David John may also have lived in Weston-super-mare. Do you know anything about that? As you may well know, David John's father, Evan Morgans, was a well known drover. I saw his name mentioned in a book once.

I've only just started on this site - it's exciting stuff! . If there is anything you would like to know that I may be able to find out my end, I'm only too happy to help if I can. There are still a few people around that have very good memories! Whereabouts do you live?

Regards,
Lyn

mgnv

mgnv Report 7 Oct 2015 08:57

John - click on Helen's name and sendher a message. GR will notify her she has a message - provided she still has the same email addy.