Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jeremiah John Hill

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ashley

Ashley Report 5 Feb 2013 20:57

Hi, i have come to a brick wall quite early in my search and was hoping someone might be able to help. My Great Grandad was Jeremiah John Hill born 1901c in Worcester, he married Sarah Price in Tredegar S.Wales. They do not mention fathers names on the marriage certificate and can't seem to find anything in the census' Any help is much appreciated Thank you

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 Feb 2013 20:59

Check out the birth cert

Births Sep 1901
Hill Jeremiah John - Droitwich 6c 361

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Feb 2013 21:00

Hello Ashley, have you got the actual paper certificate itself or are you just going by what's on the on-line marriage index? Or if you have the certificate, are there just blanks where the father's names should be?

Ashley

Ashley Report 5 Feb 2013 21:06

I dont have the certificate i am going off what my grandad told me and whats on the online marriage index. Thanks

Choccy

Choccy Report 5 Feb 2013 21:09

could this be him?

RG14PN31853 RG78PN1833 RD585 SD2 ED6 SN148
Reg. District: Bedwellty
Sub District: Tredegar
Parish: Tredegar
Enum. District: 6
Address: 14 Mount Street Tredegar
County: Monmouthshire

HILL, Walter Head Widower M 38 1873 Boiler Stoker On Top Worcestershire Worcester
HILL, Walter Son M 12 1899 School/teashop Worcestershire Whittington
>>>>>HILL, Jerry J Son M 8 1903 School Worcestershire Whittington

Ashley

Ashley Report 5 Feb 2013 21:13

Thank you very much i know he had a brother called walter so it must be. Thanks again

Choccy

Choccy Report 5 Feb 2013 21:16

RG number: RG13
Piece: 2781
Folio: 117
Page: 32
Reg. District: Worcester
Sub District: Worcester
Parish: Worcester
Enum. District: 41
Ecclesiastical District: Holy Trinity
City/Municipal Borough:
Address: 2, Rainbow Hill Kendal Street, Worcester
County: Worcestershire

HILL, Walter E Head Married M 28 1873 Blacksmiths Striker
Worcester, Worcestershire
HILL, Elizabeth Wife Married F 24 1877
Droitwich, Worcestershire
HILL, Walter E Son Single M 2 1899
Worcester, Worcestershire

Ashley

Ashley Report 5 Feb 2013 21:32

Thanks again thats great. :-D

Mary

Mary Report 5 Feb 2013 21:44

?? Elizabeth Partridge married Walter Edmund Hill 1897.

1881 Elizabeth with Uncle Jeremiah Tolley (maybe named her son after him)
She was born 1876 in Droitwich.

Maryb

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 5 Feb 2013 21:46

Sorry but hardly a brick wall.

Buying the marriage cert is still needed to confirm the family found on 1911 and 1901 census

Ashley

Ashley Report 5 Feb 2013 22:33

Sorry glitterbaby it was a brickwall for me, thanks to all the helpfull members.

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 Feb 2013 22:44

Ashley, first port of call for certificates after 1837 is usually freebmd.
Put it in your favourites

LINK
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

This is where you would have found Jeremiah's birth certificate which would have given you his parents names.

Unless you are prepared to buy some certs along the way, that brick wall will keep appearing.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Feb 2013 22:58

Best place to order certificates is from GRO, they cost £9.25 (beware of other sites, they're often a rip-off)

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

When you're ordering there's an option to tick a box if you have the GRO reference. and example of that is in the birth record that Mike posted above.

Sep is the quarter the birth was registered, 1901 obviously the year. 6c is the volume number and 361 is the page.

As Mike says, quite often you do need to buy certificates to get the info you need.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Feb 2013 23:07

Ashley

Genealogy, unfortunately, is not a cheap hobby.

GB was being helpful in telling you that, so there was no need to make a snide comment to her!

You will have to buy birth and marriage certificates in order to verify parents names ........... and to ensure that you are following the correct family.

Each certificate costs £9.25 from the following site. GRO = General Registry Office

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

You have to register, but there is no cost for that.

First, get your information from www.freebmd.co.uk

Make a note of the name as shown on that registration, and of the set of 2 numbers at the end of the line ....... they are called the GRO Index Numbers

Fill in the order form exactly as shown on freebmd

When asked if you have the GRO Index Number, answer Yes

You cannot see information from any English or Welsh certificate anywhere else on line, except for some from the London area.

No-one else can see those details, either.

Seeing the names of your ancestor in a census is not true evidence that that person IS your ancestor ............. you will find that there could be several people with the same name!

sylvia