Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mavis

Mavis Report 7 Feb 2013 17:23

Please can anyone help.....i would like to get information from the 1921 census can anyone tell me how i can find this....as it only goes up tp 1911 on here? Be very gratefull for any assistance
Sungoddess

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

AnnMac

AnnMac Report 7 Feb 2013 17:26

As I understand it , the Census is only published after 100 years (to protect privacy of people still living I guess). With mor eo fus expected to live beyond 100 in future i hope they don't change that rule and make us wait beyond 2021 for the 1921 census!

Ann (I'm no expert!)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Feb 2013 17:32

Sorry the 1921 isnt available and isn't likely to be so due to the cost involved .

Mavis

Mavis Report 7 Feb 2013 17:37

Thank you both for the quick response.....i will stop looking!!!!!!

AnnMac

AnnMac Report 7 Feb 2013 17:45

I don't think it's cost (for once) that determines when the census data will be realeased. It's because when the census was taken everyone was promised it would be kept confidential for 100 years. (The planned release date is in fact 2022 not 2021 as i suggested earlier). The confidentiality promise was enshrined in the Census Act 1920 so the Govt would have to amend the law to release it early - and there would probably be opposition on privacy grounds and for breaking a promise made at the time.
Even more bad news - the 1931 census records were lost in a fire and there wasn't one taken in 1941 because of the war so we'll have to wait till 2052 for the next release of info (after the 1921 census I mean). I shall be dead by then!