Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Left for Australia 1953 Hurst, Margaret Phyllis E

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 18 Feb 2013 01:37

Hi Jan
The 'National Library of Aus' (Canberra) (on-line) has an 'Ask a Librarian' service. They will check electoral rolls -past & present .. hopefully they will find her from say 1955+ and see which State she settled in ..and if it was Victoria. They also check newspaper death notices.

Valerie (WAus)

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 17 Feb 2013 20:38

J.. not everybody goes through naturalisation. My dad left england in 1954 with his family and moved to sydney and has never been naturalised.. :-D

J

J Report 17 Feb 2013 19:22

Many thanks for the info Eillen. Her fathers name was Frank W Hurst so that rules out the 1st one but the 2nd is a possibility if she remained unmarried. If she emigrated in 1953 as opposed to "just visiting" i assume she would have to go through a naturalisation process? Hope you dont mind me picking your brains!

Eileen

Eileen Report 17 Feb 2013 17:56

There are 2 possibilities for deaths,did she always use her names in that order?? There is an Eileen Phyllis Hurst died Prahan Victoria in 1985,b c 1919.but gives father's name as Archibald Kerrison. Also Eileen Hurst died Park,Victoria 1968 age 49. Otherwise nothing but her arrival data.

Eileen

J

J Report 17 Feb 2013 17:16

Hi All Just found on passenger lists that relative Margaret Phyllis Eileen HURST born in 1919 in British India [not sure where] sailed for Melbourne onboard Strathmore in Jan 1953. She was unmarried, occupation Civil Servant .

'Im stumped as to where I go next to find out whether or not she married, had a family or indeed died in Australia. Advice and suggestions welcome please.

Jan