Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Barnardo Care Homes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 20 Feb 2013 16:33

Are Barnardos British Home Children records available I am trying to find UK details of two children taken into care then sent to Canada.
Rob.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Feb 2013 16:43

have you googled to find out?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Feb 2013 16:44

Trace your family history - Barnardo's | Child Poverty ...
For a Barnardo’s child who emigrated to Canada or Australia, a fee will ... Details of where to send your completed form > We ... Home; What we do. About us. History. Family History ...
www.barnardos.org.uk/who_we_are/history/?family_history... - Cached

Young Immigrants to Canada (including home children ...
Soon he started a home where he said no child would ever be refused admission. Barnardo began to send children to Canada as ... they hear the term "home children" Barnardos ...
jubilation.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/genealogy/?children/... - Cached

What to Search: Topics - Genealogy and Family History ...
Home Children. Between 1869 and the late 1930s, over 100,000 juvenile migrants were sent to Canada from Great Britain during the child emigration movement.
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/?022-908.009-e.html - Cached

Barnardos Home Children Records [Archive] - B-G Forums ...
My grandfather was a home child and Barnardos have his records. He emigrated to Canada as a young ... on Barnardo's and another on 'home' children that were sent to Canada ...
www.british-genealogy.com/forums/?archive/index.php/t... - Cached

Robert

Robert Report 20 Feb 2013 17:23

Thanks very much Ann

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Feb 2013 17:59

Online records of their arrival in Canada here:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/home-children/001015-100.01-e.php

Derek

Derek Report 20 Feb 2013 22:34

Hi Robert. I am looking through my stuff so bear with me.....one of my family was sent to Canada..and \i am in touch with his descendants............but for the moment let me give you a bit of background information..........Dr Barnado was not the angel that he is often made out to be.....the emigration of young children in their thousands..particularly from liverpool was a calculated commercial act to get rid of thousands of "undesirable" children from these shores and to get paid for selling cheap labour in Canada...there is still a Movement in canada to attempt to reunite descendants of these children to any relatives they may still have in England..or Uk.............There are still thousands of descendants of these children who have no idea of their British birthright,,,,,,,,,,,,Ok..this is painting a pretty grim picture, and of course there were other factors..but there are lots of sites on the net..that will give you chapter and verse..and links to the Canadian side of things.......Google BRITISH HOME CHILDREN
when i have collated what i have..cos its some time since i was involved in this..I'll PM you.

Derek.

Robert

Robert Report 21 Feb 2013 00:35

Thanks Margee and Derek