Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bigsworth, Emma Jane

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 25 Feb 2013 23:08

My great grandmother b; 1830. Please has anyone got any photos of the Bigsworth family in London.

Stella Furness :-)

Mike *

Mike * Report 25 Feb 2013 23:17

The only Bigsworth photos on ancestry are of

Constance Evelyn Bigsworth
Birth 18th January 1912 in Chatham, Kent, England
Death 15th November 2011 in Devon, England

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 25 Feb 2013 23:25

thanks Mike, i think the name must have almost died out .There was a guy on here related to her but he wouldn't give me any information other than she had caused some trouble...lol.
i am the only person researching my line , everyone else seems to have got their information from me.

Thanks for looking

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Feb 2013 00:10

I think you are right Stella. Have you checked out births on Ancestry/FMP? 1916-2006 there are only 32 in the whole of England and Wales. The last one seems to have been in 1947, female, and the last male birth 1922.
I've never seen this before, must say I find it quite fascinating to actually see this happen. Does that make me a bit weird - probably!
Jan

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 26 Feb 2013 00:26

i have the siblings and ancestors of Emma , but not many family photos of my ancestors at all, any of them.

i was hoping that the name might ring a bell with someone who has married into that family or has another link other than my Furness line, and only one of my grandfather who was Emma's son .

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 20 Oct 2014 22:51

Just nudging this up in case anyone new has any information

Thank you :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Oct 2014 04:00

Stella ...............

anyone who does have any information is not likely to just happen on this thread.

I once estimated that less than 1% of GR's members (free and paid) knew about the Boards ................... and I think it is not much more than that even now.

You're going to have to try Search Trees again, to see if anyone has added and Bigsworth family members since the last time you looked

and maybe try Ancestry trees, if you have a membership there.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 21 Oct 2014 10:36

I have sent messages to people on the site but they have never been opened.I will look at Ancestry trees though, maybe of others that married into the family may show some pics

thank you
:-D

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 22 Oct 2014 00:53

is Arthur Bigsworth a person of interest for you?

his widow was on the electoral roll at least until 2010

http://www.192.com/atoz/people/bigsworth/edith/po8/3515500784/

however, they marriedin 1940 and she was born in 1918, so ...

he was born 1903 in Portsmouth, but they must be related to yours somehow :-)

the last two female births, mentioned by brummiejan, belonged to that couple

those children should probably be fairly easy to trace (neither married a Smith!)

I have an extinct surname (in England at least, rare elsewhere) in a line on my mother's side, last two surviving males, born in early 1800s, did not have children ... it does seem odd, something that looks like a perfectly ordinary name just disappears

a couple of recent articles about the phenomenon in the Daily Mail and Telegram

http://tinyurl.com/amrdalk

http://tinyurl.com/bn2pd3x

I hadn't realised that Deb Kennett had written 'the book' about this

http://cruwys.blogspot.ca/2012/11/extinct-and-endangered-surnames.html

... next time we chat about Devon genealogy and genes I will have to see whether she has my dead name in her collection ;)

patchem

patchem Report 22 Oct 2014 07:11

I have always thought that where a Mr Smith marries Miss Reallyunusualsurname they should take the Reallyunusualsurname not Smith as their joint family name.

(But some in-laws would be horrified.)

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 22 Oct 2014 16:09

Thank you JC i do not have membership to 192.com but i will look further into this.

:-)