Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Whatever happened to Gt Aunt Jane?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnMac

AnnMac Report 28 Feb 2013 12:34

Jane Mckeand,(no middle name) born 30 May 1882, at St Marys Rd Police Station, Garston, Lancashire where her father John Smith Mckeand was a police sergeant. At the 1891 census she is 8 and with her father, step mother, three siblings, two half siblings and a couple of prisoners in Toxteth Park. By 1901, age 19, she has been kicked out by the stepmother and is working as a "Nurse on the insane" in the Rainhill Asylum, Eccleston, Prescot, Lancs.But I can't find her at all after that. I can't locate her in 1911 census, nor a record of death or marriage. Can anyone help, please?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Feb 2013 12:40

Have you checked using variants of the surname?

AnnMac

AnnMac Report 28 Feb 2013 12:44

Yes - most of the search sites I've used eg family Search do that automatically

safc

safc Report 28 Feb 2013 12:49

????

Marriages Sep 1912 (>99%)
Holmes Florence Ingham Blackburn 8e 1091
Ingham Alban Holmes Blackburn 8e 1091
MCKEAND Janet Sharples Blackburn 8e 1091 xxxxxxxxxx
Sharples John J McKeand Blackburn 8e 1091 xxxxxxxxx

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Feb 2013 12:50

familysearch is not the place to look for the info you want

Potty

Potty Report 28 Feb 2013 12:59

No Sharple/McKeand children coming up 1912-1920

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Feb 2013 13:02

??
Name: Janet Sharples
Birth Date: abt 1882
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1920
Age at Death: 38
Registration district: Middlesbrough
Inferred County: Yorkshire North Riding
Volume: 9d
Page: 579

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Feb 2013 13:12

Wondered about this, though quite late for marriage and still doesn't explain absence 1911:

EDIT not her, as there is a jane McKend Mcr 1911. Will leave to prevent others making same mistake!

Marriages Jun 1917 (>99%)
Donnelly Edmund J McKend Prestwich 8d 488
Mckend Jane Donnelly Prestwich 8d 488

AnnMac

AnnMac Report 28 Feb 2013 13:22

Safc - sorry, i don't understand your post! similarly Shirley and Potty! Where did Janet Sharples come into it?
Reggie - where should I be looking if Family Search isn't right? i've tried ancestry and Genesreunited search engines - tho' I don't find either easy to use. tips would be gratefully rec'd as I often get answers saying no results eg for 1891 and 1901 census when I know she is there!
Brummiejan - yes i was wondering about ordering that Jane McKend one just to see if it might be right, but as you say it's too late to explain absence in 1911 census. Is there anything else i could do to check for corroboration before splashing out on a speculative GRO order?

Gee

Gee Report 28 Feb 2013 13:35

Marriages Dec 1904 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McGregor John W. Derby 8b 950
McIntyre Mary Grace W. Derby 8b 950
McPolin Francis W. Derby 8b 950

There is a spouse missing from this entry and thre are children born to the same name, mothers maiden name McKeand

I cant see them on the 1911 census though?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Feb 2013 13:36

Janet's were often known as Jane. She may have done the reverse and called herself Janet.

we posted as a speculation in the absence of her after 1901 as Jane

AnnMac

AnnMac Report 28 Feb 2013 13:42

I did find a possible marriage record in 1914 to Ernest P Digges - but it was at St George's Hanover Sq London. That sounds too upmarket to me for a girl who was working as an attendant on the insane at age 19 in Liverpool! Plus that was Jane M Mckeand and the family I'm researching had so many children they didn't splash spare middle names around! (Having said that, there was a later half sister in the family called Ann Jane born in 1892 - and I keep finding possible marriage records for her when looking for my Jane!) AAARGH! :-S

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 28 Feb 2013 13:46

the missing spouse on that 1904 marriage

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1904
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
MCPOLIN Francis JONES Annie West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_WD/216/47

AnnMac

AnnMac Report 28 Feb 2013 13:49

Shirley/Potty/Safc
Ah - do you mean you found a record that a Janet McKeand married a John Sharples in in Blackburn in Sep1912? Her father was posted to work in Blackburn from 1909 until he retired in 1923, so that might tie in. Sorry to be a bit slow!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Feb 2013 14:01

Yes we posted that as a possible marriage etc for her if she called herself Janet.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 28 Feb 2013 14:18

you can see the parish register image for the Donnelly / McKend marriage here

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12448-31454-97?cc=1788853&wc=MMGS-HKC:n2086448102

unless Jane lied about everything her father was Henry and she was only 22 years old so definitely eliminates that marriage

AnnMac

AnnMac Report 28 Feb 2013 14:19

Gins/Lancashireann
Again I'm struggling to underrstand your code! What's the connection between these 1904 marriages and jane mckeand?
If you've found children with mother's maiden name Mckeand , father's name macGregor in West Derby that's more likely to be my grandmother, Rachel McKeand who married John MacGregor - but not until 1914. Their children were Mary, Ian and Don. If it's them I'd love to know how you did that!

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 28 Feb 2013 14:26

have you got John Smith McKeand's will

it might help to identify Jane under a married name

AnnMac

AnnMac Report 28 Feb 2013 14:27

lancashire Ann
Thanks for finding the image of the Donnelly mckend marriage. As you say that looks wrong on all counts! But it helps to rule it out so conclusively.
Would it be possible to get an equivalent image of the Janet McKeand/ Sharples marriage that the others found?I have no idea how you folk do this - and so quickly too - it makes my head spin!

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 28 Feb 2013 14:29

there isn't a connection.

Gins posted a marrieage where there was a wife missing on the index

I posted the name of the missing wife using a different site (Annie Jones) to prove it was not the marriage for your Jane

we do it fairly fast because experience has taught us where to look