Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

18th century records Royal Artillery

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frances

Frances Report 1 Mar 2013 13:22

Does anyone has access to 18th century records for the Royal Artillery?
I'm trying to trace the names of my 3 x great grandparents children. He was John Boggs (sometimes Bogg) born 1757 in Magherafelt, Londonderry. He married Deborah Duff King in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada in 1788.

My grandmother told me that they had eleven children one of whom was my 2 x great grandfather Edmund Bogg (note change of spelling) born 1806 in Sheerness, Kent which was a port used by the military at that time. I also have a living cousin who has been able to trace the names of all eleven but won't tell me their names or how he did it! Being in the military John was posted all over the place and children could be born anywhere!

I have gradually been able to trace some of the children; William born 1800 in Minorca, George Godfrey born 1802 Minorca but christened in Woolwich. They were in the care of Royal Artillery for five years whilst parents were abroad. After five years William was apprenticed to a baker in London and George returned to his parents.

Then I found Thomas born 1809 also Sheerness.
Then Caroline who died in Woolwich of Typhoid (along with her mother) in 1832 aged 18 which makes her born 1814. Have found a Mary Ann who did marry and settle in England but what happened to the others?
Can find other other records for the ones I found. Not on any censuses nor can I find marriage or death records in U.K.

So what were the names of the other five children and where did everyone go??

Best wishes
Frances Lee

Flip

Flip Report 1 Mar 2013 13:51

If I were you I'd be telling that living cousin he'd got it wrong, there were actually 13 children - so which ones is he missing? ;-)

Where have you tried looking for their details so far?

Frances

Frances Report 1 Mar 2013 22:03

Well I have M.E. Chronic Fatigue so I can't go to Kew to search myself
so I employed a researcher who doesn't charge that much. He has found some things out about John Boggs such as the fact that he was born in Magherafelt, Londonderry in 1757 and from that I had a search of Magherafelt church which gave me the names of his parents and siblings but he can't seem to find the names of his children.

John Boggs was married in 1788 to Deborah Duff King in The Metropolitan Church, Quebec City (since burnt down) I had a search done for births with help from the Anglican Newspaper in Quebec City but there were none for this family. Just the death of one of the witnesses Godfrey King furrier of Quebec. From this I gather that Deborah must be Canadian but there are no records for her in Quebec City and I don't know where else to look!

It's much easier for his son Edmund Bogg. I have found him and his children both on the censuses and on the 19th century Overseas military births. He was in the Royal Artillery too! Luckily his military papers was one of the few surviving in the burnt records.

Apart from Edmund Bogg the only other sibling I can find on the censuses is one sister Mary Anne. She seems to be the only other one who seems to have married and settled here.

I found this fairly new site only two years ago which lists children in the care of the Royal Artillery. That's where I found William and George Godfrey Boggs and I found George Godfrey's christening in Woolwich, the only one there! As their mother Deborah Boggs nee King died there in 1832 of Cholera and sister Caroline aged 18 (I don't know where she was born!) they must have lived there at some point! so did they live in Plumstead too?

I also had an email from someone on Rootsweb who told me that he was a military historian who had bought this letter from the Royal Artillery which was from John Boggs to the Royal Artillery telling them that his sons William and George were born in Minorca. he said he couldn't copy it for me because it was too fragile to open fully!

Edmund Bogg and his family are on all the censuses in Plumstead, Kent (now part of London) but 1841 which seems to have been when he was serving in Galle Ceylon for six years (some of his children were born abroad) yet the only other sibling of Edmund's I can find on them is Mary Ann.

Edmund Bogg says on most of the censuses that he was born on Sheppey but on the 1851 census he told me it was Sheerness. So I had a search done on the Dock Church, Sheerness because it was one used by the military when embarking and disembarking. Sheerness was a port used by the military in the 1800s. As well as Edmund Bogg christened in 1806 I found his brother Thomas Bogg in 1809 but there are no other Bogg/s records there.

So where do I go now?? This has been my brick wall for years! So did all the others die? if so where are their graves!

I'm sure my living cousin does know because he told me the exact date of John Boggs birth although he didn't tell me where he was born and I found this was correct!

He also gave me John Boggs date of death but not where he died (it's not in Magherafelt!) so I don't know where to look!

He told me that Edmund was their eighth child!

No one else seems to have found out any more than I have on Genes and Ancestry. Everyone copies my info which is fine but where on earth do I look next!

I would be very grateful for any ideas of how to find out the names of all the children and where in the world they were born! Aren't there places of births for children listed on the 18th century military records like the 19th?

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes

Frances

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Mar 2013 09:16

the only Quebec Boggs I can find

name: Edith Mary Boggs
event type: Death
event date: 09 Dec 1956
event place: Essondale, British Columbia, Canada
marital status: Single
birth date: 10 Jul 1872
birthplace: Montreal, Quebec
father's name: George Boggs
mother's name: Annie Hill
affiliate film number: B13230
gs film number: 2033146
digital folder number: 004438084
image number: 01945
registration number: 56 09 013418

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Mar 2013 09:18

???????????

name: Edmund Bogg
event type: Census
event date: 1871
relationship to head of household: Self
birthplace: Isle Of Shepps, Kent
schedule type: Household
registration district: Woolwich
sub-district: Plumstead, East
parish: Plumstead
county: London, Kent
Household Gender Age Birthplace
self Edmund Bogg M 64 Isle Of Shepps, Kent
wife Anne L Bogg F 54 Mevagissey, Cornwall
daughter Deborah K W Bogg F 23 Portskewett, Huntingdonshire
daughter Eliz Lou Bogg F 18 Plumstead, Huntingdonshire
son Henry G Bogg M 13 Plumstead, Huntingdonshire
son Charles Bogg M 11 Plumstead, Huntingdonshire

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Mar 2013 09:19

Edmund Bogg, "England and Wales Census, 1851"
name: Edmund Bogg
birthplace: Sheerness, Kent
relationship to head of household: Head
schedule type: Household

Gee

Gee Report 2 Mar 2013 11:09

A tree at Ancestry has these children, it might give you something to work on

William Boggs b Minorca
1800 –
George Godfrey Boggs b Minorca
1802 –
Edmund Bogg b Sheppey
1806 – 1879
Thomas Boggs b Sheppey
1809 –
Mary Ann Boggs b Essex
1811 – 1872
Caroline Boggs
1814 – 1832

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 2 Mar 2013 12:29

I will look next week as I away for the weekend.

Frances

Frances Report 2 Mar 2013 13:03

Regarding the children of John Boggs and Deborah Duff King is there anyone out there who could search church records in Plumstead, Woolwich, Kent? This is because John & Deborah's son Edmund Bogg lived there on all of the censuses except 1841 and I know that Deborah Boggs nee King died of cholera in Woolwich
and his sister Caroline.

I wondered if there were any births, marriages or deaths in the name of Bogg or Boggs there!

I would be grateful for any help

Thank you

Frances

Flip

Flip Report 2 Mar 2013 13:56

There's this burial record for Deborah, just a few days after daughter Caroline:

Deborah Bogg
Record Type: Burial
Estimated Death Date: abt 1832
Burial Date: 30 Jul 1832
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1772
Parish or Poor Law Union: Deptford St Nicholas
Borough: Greenwich
Register Type: Parish Register

Caroline Bogg
Record Type: Burial
Estimated Death Date: abt 1832
Burial Date: 22 Jul 1832
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1814
Parish or Poor Law Union: Deptford St Nicholas

Abode for both of them was Plumstead, although you probably have this.

Flip

Flip Report 2 Mar 2013 14:04

George Godfrey Boggs
Baptism Date: 18 Apr 1802
Parish: St Mary Magdalene, Woolwich
County: Kent
Parent(s): John Boggs,
Deborah Boggs
Record Type: Baptism

No other info on image though.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 4 Mar 2013 22:41

Have you looked to see if this one is related?
1841 Institution: Royal Artillery Barracks,
BOGGS, James M 25 1816 Scotland Piece: 493 Book/Folio: 8/24 Page: 6 Registration District: Greenwich Civil Parish: Woolwich Municipal Borough: Greenwich Address: Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich, Greenwich County: Kent

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 4 Mar 2013 22:53

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 about Edmund Bogg
Name: Edmund Bogg
Baptism Date: 29 Nov 1835
Father's Name: Edmund Bogg
Mother's name: Ann Bogg
Parish or Poor Law Union: Woolwich St Mary Magdalene
Register Type: Parish Registers
Born 6 Nov
Red Lion Street.
Father is in Royal Artillery and there is a rank.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 4 Mar 2013 22:56

His could be him back in Canada.
1861 Census of Canada about Edmund Bogs
Name: Edmund Bogs
[Edmund Bogg]
Birth Year: 1836
Birthplace: England
Marital Status: Single
Home in 1861: Toronto, York, Canada West
Religion: Church of England
Film Number: C-1103-1104
Page Number: 189
Household Members:
Name Age
Edmund Bogs

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 4 Mar 2013 23:01

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 about Thomas Bogg
Name: Thomas Bogg
Baptism Date: 20 Aug 1837
Father is a bombadier in Royal Artillery
born jul 26th wellington street

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 4 Mar 2013 23:04

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 about John Glenville Bogg
Name: John Glenville Bogg
Baptism Date: 11 May 1845
This time he is a corporal.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 4 Mar 2013 23:52

????
Quebec, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1967 about Rebecca Bogg
Name: Rebecca Bogg
Spouse: George Washington Leonard
Event: Mariage (Marriage)
Marriage Year: 1827
Marriage Location: Montréal, Québec (Quebec)
Place of Worship or Institution: Presbyterian Saint Andrew

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 5 Mar 2013 00:18

1861 Institution: Middlesex House Of Correction Cold Bath Fields,

B, C Prisoner Unmarried M 53 1808 Sailmaker
Quebec, ...B Subejct

interesting

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 5 Mar 2013 22:58

Ok I have been googling and found a lot of your previous posts on other sites. Some lovely pics too. Could you send the info you already have and I will carry on looking?

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 6 Mar 2013 00:05

maybe
1841 Institution: Royal Artillery Barracks 4th Battalion,

BUGG, Isaac M 20 1821
Piece: 493 Book/Folio: 7/39 Page: 3 Registration District: Greenwich Civil Parish: Woolwich Municipal Borough: Greenwich Address: Royal Artillery Barracks 4th Battalion, Woolwich, Greenwich County: Kent