Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jane Elizabeth Hewett Eedle and Eliza Jane Eedle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Charlotte

Charlotte Report 1 Mar 2013 22:12

Mother and daughter. Jane Elizabeth was a widow in 1861 (husband Edward died in 1858) and by 1871 had married again and was widowed again. New surname Wootton. Likely marriage is St. Martin in the Fields June Qu 1863 1a 693 but one groom missing and plugging in different spellings of Wootton has not brought him up.
St. Martin in the Fields was a birth place for two siblings and marriage place for one.
Daughter Eliza Jane appears on an Ancestry tree as married to John Thomas Wootton in 1862 when he was 17 and she was 19. Only record attached that may have her is 1901 census when name spelled Wotton. Birth places in London area and ages pretty much match. Only marriage of a John Wootton in St. Martin is 1865 and has two brides and two grooms and no Eliza Jane. No John Thomas that fit and so many John with different spellings of Wootton. There is a marriage of an Eliza Jane Eedle in St. Martins Sep Qu 1872 1a 700. That page has 7 brides and 3 grooms from four different districts and no Wootton, etc. One groom even has a bride’s surname so think is 1972 instead of 1872. St. Martin in the Fields is 1c not 1a so tried that with and without page 700, nothing.
These are distant relatives so won’t be buying certificates. The Jane Elizabeth married in Lambeth in 1867 is another daughter.
I have read a number of cases where some imaginative thinking was key. So I am hoping some of you clever people out there take interest and crack at least Eliza Jane’s mystery.

Mike *

Mike * Report 1 Mar 2013 22:18

Which site were you using ?

freebmd has them both but with Eedle

Marriages Jun 1863 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

............EEDLE Jane Elizabeth - St Martin 1a 693
SMITH Martha St. Martin 1a 693
SUMMERFORD James Stephen St Martin 1a 693
...........WOOTTON John - St Martin 1a 693

Mike *

Mike * Report 1 Mar 2013 22:22

Marriages Sep 1862 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edwards George William St Martin 1a 700
Eedle Eliza Jane - St Martin 1a 700
Overton Charles St Martin 1a 700
Rolfe Caroline Eliza St Martin 1a 700

---------------------------------

That Eliza Jane EEdle appears to have married Charles Overton

Name: Eliza J Overton
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: Charles Overton
Where born: Holborn, London, England

Civil parish: Islington
Ecclesiastical parish: St Davids
Town: London City
County/Island: London
Registration district: Islington
Sub-registration district: Islington South West

Charles Overton 53
Eliza J Overton 48
Nellie Overton 19
Amy Overton 17
Jennie Overton 15
Henry C Lawrence 24
Letty Overton 41
Charles O Lawrence 4/12

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Mar 2013 22:30

Name: Jane Elizabeth Eedle ...spinster, ..minor
Spouse Name: John Euden Hirschfeld ......of full age, Coppersmith
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 14 Sep 1867
Parish: Lambeth St Mary
Borough: Lambeth
Father Name: Edward Eedle deceased, bookseller
Spouse Father Name: Augustus Edward Hirschfeld ..........Tailor
Register Type: Parish Register

Witnesses John WOOTTON, Emma EEDLE

Mike *

Mike * Report 1 Mar 2013 22:54

Never take someone elses tree as Gospel.

Do your own checking.

Is this your Eliza Jane ?

marriage
name: Charles Overton
spouse's name: Eliza Jane Eedle
:
event date: 30 Aug 1862
event place: Saint Martin In The Fields,Westminster,London,England
:
:
----------------------------------

Charles Overton 33 - engine fitter - born Lincolnshire
Eliza J Overton 28 - middlesex
Charles Overton 4
Lettey Overton 11 Months

Charlotte

Charlotte Report 1 Mar 2013 23:00

Mike,

Thank you! I was using Ancestry as in the past I have found that search engine easier to use. Will have to adjust my thinking. I don't know about the Overton marriage as it was someone from the Wootton side apparently who has the 1862 between Eliza Jane Eedle and John Thomas Wootton. Oh I see that 1872 reference should have b een 1862 and the 700 and 1a then match. Hmmm.

Gwyn,

Yes that is the daughter of the Jane Elizabeth and sister of Eliza Jane that I already had. Hadn't realized one of the witnesses was a Wootton and it could be either the older one or the younger one. I wonder if the Wootton researcher got it wrong and confused the wives. Have to try to identify him now.

Thank you both

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Charlotte

Charlotte Report 1 Mar 2013 23:26

Mike,

Had already tried everything I could think of at home to do. But with that exact date which I guess you got from the IGI, I'll run down to the Family History Center here in Salt Lake City, about 20 minutes away, and look up the entry and find out if she is the right one. The extract in the IGI doesn't have the fathers. So that make two sources I didn't use, the FreeBMD instead of just on Ancestry and the IGI which I think I used when I started working on the Eedle generations, but didn't go back to.

No I didn't take that tree as gospel. Just as a clue. Was already tryng other things.
I'll come back andmark this complete if I do find Eliza Jane's father to be Edward.