Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John BARNES & Mary Plummer

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shelley

Shelley Report 13 Mar 2013 21:04

I have John b.1608 married to Mary Plummer. Problem here is that I have found them as being in USA and maybe married there, but all the children were born in UK. My question is was he in the army or migrated or???. Both died 1671...son Johnathon was born Lincolns Inn Fields Uk 1643 and married Hannah. :-S :-S

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 13 Mar 2013 22:15

Where did you get this information from, and how did you get back to this couple?

patchem

patchem Report 13 Mar 2013 22:15

Where did you find your information about the births and marriage so that you know it is the same John and Mary?

Vicci

Vicci Report 14 Mar 2013 00:25

tree on ancestry

Johnathon barnes

Birth: 1643 - England
Marriage: 4 Jan 1665 - Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States
Death: 20 Aug 1714 - Plymouth, Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States
Parents: John Barnes, Mary Plummer
>>> Spouse: Elizabet Hedge

Vicci

Vicci Report 14 Mar 2013 00:31

there is alot of information on ancstry recording the John Barnes and MAry Plummer

Shelley

Shelley Report 14 Mar 2013 00:35

G son Rev John Barnes 1731-1819 (grad Caius College Cambridge.) married Ann Park(London Banns copied)
His father Rev John Barnes 1680-1749 married Elizabeth Hedge, all this is correct.
John is 85% his father and was married to a Mary :-S

Shelley

Shelley Report 14 Mar 2013 00:45

Now I'm totally confused.....were they on the Mayflower? I am on Ancestry, but no info sent yet. Just checked and yes it was Johnathon 1643 married to Elizabeth Hedge. Maybe they were on the Mayflower as it seems to be a very religiously inclined family.

It is his father John that I have married to a Mary.

Vicci

Vicci Report 14 Mar 2013 01:10

http://www.americanancestors.org/pilgrim-families-john-barnes/

Vicci

Vicci Report 14 Mar 2013 01:11

http://www.plymouthancestors.org/

Shelley

Shelley Report 14 Mar 2013 06:55

Thanks for that, looks as tho we are on the right track! Explains a lot :-)

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 14 Mar 2013 07:33

It looks to me that some people have mixed up Plymouth Devon with Plymouth Massachusetts :-S

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 14 Mar 2013 08:10

London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921
Name: John Barnes
Spouse Name: Elizabeth Ann Park
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 13 Apr 1834
Parish: Stepney St Dunstan and All Saints
Borough: Tower Hamlets
Register Type: Parish Register

(seems to be a lot of bits on google, somebody has above)

Chris :)

Cambridge University Alumni, 1261-1900
Name: John Barnes
College: CAIUS
Entered: 1740
Died: 21 Jan 1818
More Information: Adm. pens. (age 18) at CAIUS, Nov. 27, 1740. S. of Andrew, grocer, of Lakenheath, Suffolk. B. there. Schools, Brandon and Bury. Matric. 1740-1; Scholar, 1741-5; B.A. 1744-5. Ord. deacon (Norwich) June 9, 1745; priest, Sept. 22, 1745. R. of Coney Weston, Suffolk, 1745-1818; of Barningham, 1745-1818. Died at Lakenheath, Jan. 21, 1818, aged 97. M.I. there. (Venn, II. 48.)

(also info. on google relating to above)

Shelley

Shelley Report 14 Mar 2013 21:35

Chris Ho, yes this is the right John Barnes and I have that info.
Ok, so as I have it now in descending order

John Barnes 1608 =Mary Plummer
Johnathon 1643= Elizabeth Hedge
Rev John1680 = Mary English
Rev John 1731 = Ann Park

Does that look right? Wish they had called sons Elvis/Fred, anything but John!!

Beverly, yes my thoughts also re Plymouth, that was why I got stumped at John and Mary, but checked out the Mayflower site above and it is a possibility still

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 14 Mar 2013 22:02

I am confused. How could son Jonathan be born in England in 1643 if his father was in America? According to the AmericanAncestors site linked by Vicci, the children were born in Plymouth, Massachusets.

Chris Ho :) Report 14 Mar 2013 23:03

Baptism
County Suffolk
Place Lakenheath
Church All Saints
RegisterNumber
DateOfBirth
BaptismDate 30 Jun 1721
Forename John
Sex M
FatherForename Andrew
MotherForename Sarah
FatherSurname BARNS

Burial
County Suffolk
Place Lakenheath
Church All Saints
RegisterNumber
BurialDate 26 Jan 1818
Forename John
Relationship
Rel1MaleForename
Rel1FemaleForename
Rel1Surname
Surname BARNES
Age 96
Abode
Notes The Reverend John Barnes

(as says in University admission, Son of Andrew, Born in Suffolk)

Will of Reverend John Barnes, Clerk of Lakenheath , Suffolk
Prerogative Court of Canterbury and related Probate Jurisdictions: Will Registers. Will of Reverend John Barnes, Clerk of Lakenheath , Suffolk.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/wills.htm

Shelley

Shelley Report 15 Mar 2013 01:34

Maybe Johnathon 1643 returned to England? Or some of his children did, or maybe we are just barking up the wrong tree....

Chris., OMG have not come across Andrew and Sarah before! If they are the parents then it wipes out a lot of the info above, but will see where that takes me . Any idea who Andrew's parents were....Possibly could be Rev John = Mary English???

patchem

patchem Report 15 Mar 2013 07:10

Have you contacted anyone who has any of your family in their tree to see if they know who lived/stayed in America, and what happened to their sons/daughters, and even who were their fathers?

I like the idea of the 2 Plymouth's being mixed up.

Also, what does the following that you posted, mean:
'John is 85% his father'

Thank-you

Chris Ho :) Report 15 Mar 2013 07:23

Think things were wrong anyway, as Rev. John Burial in 1818, he wouldn't be Marrying 1834!!.

Why not say who you are working back from, and give details from Certificates that you have... (also, ignore any 'green leaf'' hints from Ancestry, if that is where you got all above info. from, it only serves to confuse, until proven!)

Shelley

Shelley Report 15 Mar 2013 23:07

Chris...the info you gave is 100% correct on Rev John buried 1818.

Ellen Nellie Bygrove Barnes (GGMa) 1860-1923 = Herbert Owen
Father..Francis Bygrove Barnes(1809-1871) =Margaret Hares
" " " ...Richard Barnes (1770-1817) =Hannah Collins
All above are from the family bible and were in Australia and have BMD certificates, Census etc

Rev John and Mary English I have their marriage cert. which my aunt obtained from LDS.

The "Bygrove" in names was from a sister who became Lady Bygrove when married. It was my mothers middle name also.
Richard and Hannah may have travelled with the army as there is one son died aged11 buried in Egypt.
Frances and Margaret married in India and some of the children were born there. He was in the British Army/Navy and was a sea Captain.

Regarding Andrew and Sarah, he is listed as a grocer, so it may be possible that son John was sent to better off relatives to complete his education.
I think the USA connection is a false lead, as the family were predominantly C of E or Methodist (Uniting church).

Chris Ho :) Report 16 Mar 2013 08:12

(seeems to be a lot about these on google)

Not sure where John Barnes and Mary English fit, and where did they Marry?...