Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

O'Leary

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharyn

Sharyn Report 14 Mar 2013 16:28

I'm trying to trace my family tree and looking for any family members from the O'Leary/Smith side. The only information I have is : Grandfather name Alfred Walter O'Leary born in Ireland believed to be in the cork area, Married Florence Smith and lived in East London had 9 children. My grandfather's brother emigrated to Australia and I believe his name was Daniel. My Grandfather was also in the merchant navy. My Grandmothers Mothers name was also Florence and her Mothers (my great great grandmother) name was Florence also, and her maiden name was Nightengale. Any help would be very much appreciated.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 14 Mar 2013 16:39

Dates ?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Mar 2013 16:47

Is this Alfred? Can you give us a rough idea of when he was born, please?

London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965 about Alfred W O'Leary
Name: Alfred W O'Leary
Year: 1964
County or Borough: Ilford
Ward or Division/Constituency: Ilford South
Street Address: 38 Longbridge Road
Reference Number: LCC/PER/B/2930

From the original record, it looks as if the address should be 38 Mayesbrook Road.
At the same address are Florence A. and Patrick A J.

Sharyn

Sharyn Report 14 Mar 2013 16:49

my grandmother died in late June 1987 at the age of 66 and was born on the 15th Feb. 1921. My grandfather died in 87 but unsure on his age or date of birth. I believe my grandmother also had 2 brothers Fred and Alf Smith.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Mar 2013 16:50

????????

Marriages Mar 1940 (>99%)
O'Leary Alfred W Smith W.Ham 4a 458
Smith Florence A O'Leary W.Ham 4a 458

Sharyn

Sharyn Report 14 Mar 2013 16:52

yes they did use to live in mayesbrook road and Patrick aka paddy is their oldest child of 9 my uncle. Sorry i'm pretty knew to this can I ask how you found that information out please. many thanks

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Mar 2013 16:59

I found the electoral register info on Ancestry.co.uk, searching for anything for Alfred Walter O'Leary with spouse Florence. Your mention of east London made that result look like a possibility.

The marriage record is from FreeBMD. A search for a marriage between Alfred O'Leary and Florence Smith at any time and in any place - that's the only one that came up.

Sharyn

Sharyn Report 14 Mar 2013 17:02

Ok thank you very much.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Mar 2013 17:16

This might perhaps be your gr-grandparents marriage, in view of the fact that Florence was born in 1921, and was married in West Ham. BUT there are loads of marriages between Florence Nightingales and Smiths at various dates and places, on FreeBMD.
Do you know your gr-grandfather' s first name?

Marriages Jun 1920 (>99%)
Nightingale Florence Smith W. Ham 4a 560
Smith Walter Nightingale W. Ham 4a 560

Sharyn

Sharyn Report 14 Mar 2013 17:28

I don't sorry .. I have more on my grandmothers side than my grandfathers.
Grandmothers name : Florence Anne O'Leary was Smith, born 15th feb 1921 died late june 1987
My Grandmothers mothers name was Florence Smith maiden name Nightengale
Her mother was also called Florence Nightengale but I don't have a maiden name for her.

The only information I have of my Grandfather is his name Alfred Walter O'Leary, that he had a brother Daniel O'Leary who emigrated to Australia and they both come from the cork area in Ireland.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Mar 2013 19:06

I can't find a record of your grandmother's birth, I'm afraid. There don't seem to be any Florence Smiths born 1921 in England, Wales, or Ireland, whose mother's maiden name was Nightingale or Nightengale.(At least per the records on Ancestry.com and FreeBMD)
There's a Florence Ann Smith born in Kirkcaldy, Fife, in 1921, but without seeing the birth certificate I don't know who her parents were, nor the exact birth date. (That's per Scotlands People.)

Sorry not to be of more help.
Good luck with your search.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Mar 2013 19:12

Aha! this looks like Florence's death, but her DOB is 1918, not 1921.

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2006 about Florence Anne O'Leary
Name: Florence Anne O'Leary
Birth Date: 15 Feb 1918
Date of Registration: Jun 1984
Age at Death: 66
Registration district: Havering
Inferred County: Essex
Volume: 13
Page: 383

And here's Alfred Walter, also born 1918:

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2006 about Alfred Walter O'Leary
Name: Alfred Walter O'Leary
Birth Date: 12 Apr 1918
Date of Registration: Jan 1987
Age at Death: 68
Registration district: Havering
Inferred County: Essex
Volume: 13
Page: 193

Maybe Alfred's birth:

England & Wales, Birth Index, 1916-2005 about Alfred W O'leary
Name: Alfred W O'leary
Mother's Maiden Surname: Smith
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1918
Registration district: West Ham
Inferred County: Essex, Suffolk
Volume Number: 4a
Page Number: 185

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Mar 2013 22:48

Florence's birth:

Births Mar 1918
Smith Florence A Nightingale W.Ham 4a 3031901 England

Alfred's parents marriage (maybe):
Marriages Mar 1900
O'Leary Michael John W. Ham 4a 104
Smith Lily Charlotte W. Ham 4a 104
1901 Census about Michael J O Leary
Name: Michael J O Leary
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1877
[1878]
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Lily O Leary
Where born: Islington, London, England

Civil parish: West Ham
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
County/Island: Essex

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View image

Registration district: West Ham
Sub-registration district: Plaistow
ED, institution, or vessel: 49
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 24
Piece: 1575
Folio: 114
Page Number: 4
Household Members:
Name Age
Michael J O Leary 24
Lily O Leary 23
Michael O Leary 4 Months

From all the above details, you can find them on 1911 census with four children.
Other children, born after 1911 (per FreeBMD) include James, Dorothy, Lily, and Alfred.

You may be able to find them in earlier censuses, before they were married, and track down their parents' names. I haven't looked.

Anyway, good luck with your search!

Sharyn

Sharyn Report 15 Mar 2013 09:40

Hi thanks will look into that .. however the first information I was given re my grandmother was incorrect .. she was infact born in 1918 as she died at age 66 in 84 not 87 , it was my grandfather that died in 87. I will follow that lead but from the information I have re my grandfather he was born and raised in Ireland in the Cork area. I have my mother visiting later where we can then search together. I really do appreciate the help given :-).

Sharyn

Sharyn Report 15 Mar 2013 09:45

Sorry had not seen your previous post before the last :-) yes you was correct in that information. Again many thanks.