Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stafforfshire Moorlands.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marianthe

Marianthe Report 20 Mar 2013 19:46

Hello, just wondering if anyone is familiar with a small, sparsely populated area where I have tried in vain to locate ancestors. The area in question contains Cotton, Oakamoor, Wardlow and Farley and the two addresses that I seek from certificates that I have obtained, are '43 Weaver Villa, Oakamoor' and '34 Wardlow, Farley'
I have travelled there to walk around the various villages trying to find them but their whereabouts have remained a mystery. Another address I have is 'Cottage in the quarry' which I assume stood in or around Wardlow quarry and may or may not be a clue to the others. This was between 1800 and 1900 and mainly Woolliscroft and Prime families.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 20 Mar 2013 19:55

What dates are the certs as 1800 - 1900 is a large span

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 20 Mar 2013 20:17

There are some old photos of both Oakamoor and Farley on this site

http://www.staffspasttrack.org.uk/

Or perhaps Staffs Archives might have old maps of the villages.

Marianthe

Marianthe Report 20 Mar 2013 20:25

Hi, the dates are 1864, 1877, 1894 1897 and 1918.

Marianthe

Marianthe Report 20 Mar 2013 20:29

Thankyou Ann.