Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joseph Shirley born about 1788

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Edward

Edward Report 27 Mar 2013 16:58

Joseph died 30th September 1840 age 52? 6 Union Place Waterloo Sub District of Lambeth Surrey. informant J D or S P Shirley of same address. Who is informant, what's his relationship to my ancestor?

Really need help on this one, it's my Brickwall

Edward

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 27 Mar 2013 17:15

Who is your ancestor?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Mar 2013 17:29

I don't see any Shirleys with the initials JD or SP in Lambeth in 1841 Census.
I expect you've already scoured the list yourself.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Mar 2013 17:34

If the information isn't on the death cert, no-one can tell you

What does it say about the person's 'qualification'?

And you can't assume that it's a male...........or that he/she was related to the deceased.

If Joseph was your ancestor, you must know the name of at least one of his children............what was that?

What was Joseph's wife called?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Mar 2013 17:45

I've looked at all 12 households in Union Place Waterloo 2nd in 1841. None has any occupants with the surname Shirley

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 27 Mar 2013 18:39

Joseph Shirley born ca 1788, d. Sept 30, 1840 Lambeth, Surrey Co. England,

m. Mary Cox Aug 25, 1814 New Gate St. London.

Children:

1. Joseph Eugene bapt Nov 10, 1816 St. Clement Danes Parish, Westminster, London Co, d. Jan 26, 1884 m. Elizabeth Guy July 12, 1846 St. Mary's Newington, Surrey. She was the daughter of Jasper Guy and Eliza Trim of Shaftsbury, Dorset. Joseph became an organist and Professor of music.

(above from google, plus other bits)

Name: Joseph Shirley
Record Type: Burial
Estimated Death Date: abt 1840
Burial Date: 4 Oct 1840
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1788
Parish or Poor Law Union: Lambeth St John the Evangelist
Borough: Lambeth
Register Type: Parish Register
(abode, Nile? Street)

Chris :)

Edward

Edward Report 28 Mar 2013 15:38

Thank you to everyone who has replied, I'm new to Community so please forgive me if I err. Chris Ho :)'s reply pretty well covers what I have found. My 3x Gt gnd Parents are Joseph Shirley & Mary Cox. I have a copy of a 1840 Death cert for a Joseph Shirley age 52 The informant is a Shirley, but only initials are given.
Reggie's search confirms my own results of searching the 1841 census.

Joseph and Mary's issue were; Joseph Eugene Shirley 1816, Thomas Frederick Shirley 1821, died at Sea 1849.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Mar 2013 16:45

You haven't answered the question about the 'qualification' of the informant on the death cert...........

Vicci

Vicci Report 28 Mar 2013 18:58

could the informant initial JD actually be JE being Joseph Eugene, ie his son?

Edward

Edward Report 29 Mar 2013 11:39

The informant has no qualification, other than 'Present at the Death' his initials are S P or J D the deceased occupation is 'Smith' which fits the Family's known occupation.