Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for relatives of Donald V Lowe

Page 2 + 1 of 3

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 29 Mar 2013 06:19

Ok thank you. Ive been told if i go to the reg office in birmingham i can view the docs for free, do u know if this is correct? Will give them a ring on tuesday xxx

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Mar 2013 09:11

Nicola - the Register Office won't allow you to view their copies of the marriage certificate without first buying it.

However, the Record office (or Archive/Library) will let you scroll through all parish records they hold for free, and pay to make a copy. Not sure of the current cost of printouts, but usually a nominal sum in the region of £1 or less.

ADDED - the extract from the WW1 records previously posted says

*Wife........Esther George...(Residence: 33 Church Vale, Handsworth, Birmingham
Married in the Parish Church, Handsworth Stafford 08/06/1911*

Some of the registers for Handsworth, Staffs are on line according to this link

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=2465.0
Quote from that link cos I was confused
*Handsworth used to be in Staffordshire, but is now part of Birmingham*

If the link doesn't help, they are likley to be held at Birmingham Central Library within the Local Studies and History Department.

From reading the Boards, access is/was limited due to rebuilding/relocation. You might want to contact them before travelling. The web site says the FH section is closed until Sept 2013
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/localstudieslibrary

Contact details from that link
archives.heritage@birmingham.gov.uk
Tel: 0121 303 4549

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 29 Mar 2013 09:21

Do get back to us Nicola when you have the details.

Prickles.x

Nicola

Nicola Report 29 Mar 2013 09:56

Thank you, thats great and will do pricklyholly and thank you for your help x

Nicola

Nicola Report 21 Apr 2013 22:03

Hi guys, my dad has found a photo album of pics my grandad took during ww2, he served on hms newfoundland' hms illustrious, & hms speaker from 1941 - 1946. Ive also been told he was married breifly whilst he was serving, and had a son. Our local achivea is shut until september, so cant really search until then, but was extremely excites about what i had found, i wanted to share!