Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Reading the Riot Act

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 1 Apr 2013 13:05

I appreciate and totally understand why it is annoying to some helpers when people post a similar query several times.

However, it usually shows that the 'offender' is someone who is either new or someone who hasn't fully grasped how the boards work.

I always want to reassure the innocent multi-posters that, whilst it sometimes sounds like it, we actually do NOT have the power or authority to read them the riot act, clap them in irons or lock them in solitary confinement.

We can, however, give them some friendly advice and take a little time to explain how it is so much easier all round if they just post a query once.

So much nicer than embarrassing or chastising anyone on these public boards.

Cx :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Apr 2013 13:13

excellent Cynthia - UN:ESS they are persistent offenders which some are and then they'll get it both barrells from me :-D :-D :-D

to find lots of info and post it and then find it's already been posted is not good

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 1 Apr 2013 13:24

I used the word 'innocent' for that reason Ann....... ;-)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 1 Apr 2013 14:03

BUT have they bothered to read the message board guidelines first before posting ?

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 1 Apr 2013 16:58

Probably not GB. I can hold my hand up to not reading them either when I first started using the boards. That's probably why I can empathise with them :-(

I mean, how many of us can honestly say that we read ALL the guidelines, ALL t & c's etc before we posted.....? :-S

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Apr 2013 18:01

nudge :-)

Nikhila

Nikhila Report 1 Apr 2013 23:22

I am searching for the father of James Charles Dunbar.
Charles was married in 1887 in West Derby Liverpool to Mary Caroline
Tatlock. I am unable to go any further . I would be very grateful for any.. help you can give.
Jean

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Apr 2013 23:31

Nikhila, You need to start your own thread, this one is not offering help,

At the top of the find ancestors board on the right of the page it says "Add topic" click on that and have "James Charles Dunbar" as your thread topic then add the rest of your info in the box provided, don't forget to click the submit button below the text box

Add as much info as you can

Roy

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Apr 2013 23:34

this him?

Name: Alice Dunbar
Birth Date: 06 Dec 1894
Birthplace: Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Father's Name: James Dunbar
Father's Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I00540-9
System Origin: England-EASy
GS Film number: 2147930
Reference ID: item 5-115840

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Apr 2013 23:35

Name: Mary Alice Dunbar
Christening Date: 23 Jul 1904
Christening Place: St. James The Less, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Birth Date: 22 Jun 1904
Birthplace: St. James The Less, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Charles Dunbar
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Mary
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C02173-8
System Origin: England-EASy
GS Film number: 1545919
Reference ID: item 5

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Apr 2013 08:44

Linked thread (re Nikhila/Jean)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1321538

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 2 Apr 2013 09:21

The quality of mercy is not strained.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath.
It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.

William Shakespeare 1600

Tis better to educate
Than to chastise.

Me 2013 ;-)

Astra

Astra Report 2 Apr 2013 10:19

Well said Jonesey

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 2 Apr 2013 11:25

Cynthia well said - Some of the helpers on the boards are really scarey. We should be encouraging members to seek help not frightening them off.

I have always been put off by the don't do this and don't do that approach. Must terrify a newbie.

Wonder how many people even bother to read the guidelines before posting.

Saw one reply yesterday to look on Jonesey's list. Would have been nicer if the helper could have just included the Hyperlink in their reply.

I haven't a clue what is on his list. I ask for help when needed I don't expect to have to go over historic posts before hand.

Then there are those with big egos who just pm people for no reason - I just don't bother to answer. If they tell the person first and they get an OK then that is in order.

I never expect a thank you for anything it is just nice when it happens that is all.

Then there are those who tell people that they are writing to much person info - who are they to say what a person should write about their own family.

We need to make people feel comfortable to keep asking for help so the boards get bigger.
:-( :-( :-(

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 2 Apr 2013 11:27

I have sent Nikhila/Jean a friendly pm to help her. :-)