Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Probabe Notice/Record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicki

Nicki Report 4 Apr 2013 05:14

Thank you all for your advice. As it happens the info on the probate details for Kathleen led me down a route I hadnt expected to go down and I now have been able to fill in gaps on her family that I didnt know before.

Many thanks

Nicki

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 3 Apr 2013 20:54

My mum died at Christmas. We did not need to apply for probate because my father was still living and the bank accounts were in joint names.

If there is not a surviving spouse and the person dies intestate then the next of kin can apply to administer the estate. The State will decide how to divide the estate. In the case of more than one child, the estate will be divided equally between the children. If a child has died then their share will be divided equally between their children.

Even if there is a will, probate will need to be obtained where there is not a surviving spouse. It's just easier if there is a will.

That's fresh from a visit to a solicitor this morning :-)

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 3 Apr 2013 20:13

Just because it's not in the London Gazette doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't a Will. Your local probate office might have more recent indexes to Wills or you could just pay £6 to ask for a copy from a Probate Registry, taking the risk that if there wasn't one, you won't get your money back!

Reggie

Reggie Report 2 Apr 2013 23:29

Not at all..........you weren't wrong.......

It's a common misconception that all Wills have to be proved...........in fact, only a comparatively small percentage ever go to Probate.

If a Will is uncomplicated, and the estate is relatively small, it can be administered by the executor(s) without the need to incur the expense and delay involved in Probate.

Nicki

Nicki Report 2 Apr 2013 23:05

Thanks Reggie, just thought I was doing it wrong.

many thanks

N
x

Reggie

Reggie Report 2 Apr 2013 22:55

There was probably no need for Probate

Nicki

Nicki Report 2 Apr 2013 22:43

Thanks - I found Kathleen under the London Gazette for Kathleeen for 1995 but couldnt find anything on there for Basil.

N
x

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 2 Apr 2013 11:34

Probate on Ancestry only goes up to 1966 so we can't look that up for you. Sorry.

Nicki

Nicki Report 2 Apr 2013 06:31

Hi Penny

I have no idea about a will for Radcliffe, I have ordered copies of wills in the past though.

I have his wife's notice of probate - 8 Mar 1995, Kathleen Norah Anne Radcliffe but I cant find Charles Joseph Basil Radcliffe (known as Basil).

N
x

Penny

Penny Report 2 Apr 2013 06:29

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate/copies-of-grants-wills

Penny

Penny Report 2 Apr 2013 06:28

Do you know there was one?

If you know there waas a will, and its been proven, you can wrire and obtain a copy after a certain length of time.
Google''obtaining a copy of a will''

Nicki

Nicki Report 2 Apr 2013 06:14

I wonder please if someone could find me the Probate Record for Charles Joseph Basil Radcliffe born 1900 died 13 July 1983. Death registered in Chichester.

Many thanks

Nicki