Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

McArthur Norah

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 4 Apr 2013 02:22

Just wondering whether any one knows anything about Norah McArthur who was adopted (or lived with) the Carter family in Aberdeen. Jean

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Apr 2013 06:12

Can you provide any dates, please, Jean??

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 5 Apr 2013 00:04

I am not sure of the actual dates. I'm pretty sure she was living with the Carter family in the 1940s at least, but not sure how much earlier it could have been. I am assuming that she was probably born between 1905-1911 - but not sure where.
I don't know if any of this can help you or not, but any help would be great at the moment. I am assuming that she never married because she was listed as Norah McArthur on my Grandfather Carter's death certificate, but she could have married at an early age and separated or husband deceased. I am clutching at straws really, all I have is some photos of her with my grandmother round about 1940. If you can put any light on this it would be great. Jean

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Apr 2013 01:04

any date(s) helps us!

When and where did your grandfather die?

You may have to look on Scotland's People to see if you can find anything ................ that is a pay per view site, but is the only place where you can look at bmds, Scottish records, etc.

It is not a subscription site, so other people cannot help you with records on there.

It is, however, possible to do a free search and see if anything shows, then buy credits to look at the details.

It would be interesting for example to see if SP carries electoral rolls.

You could also see if a library near where your grandparents lived has the Electoral Rolls for that area, and if they would look there for the address and tell you who was living there.

sylvia

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 5 Apr 2013 10:44

Could this be her?

Scotlands People

SR Deaths Search Returns

You searched for: Surname: "MCARTHUR"; Surname Option: Exact; Forename: "NORAH"; Forename Option: Exact; Sex: "Female"; Year From: 1940; Year To: 2011; Birth Year: 1905; Birth Year Range: 10; County: ABERDEEN

Year/ 1991
Surname/Maiden Name/ MCARTHUR
Forename/ NORAH
Mother's Surname/ Not Permissible
Other Surnames/ BOWIE/WILSON
Sex/ F
Age/ 80
District City/ ABERDEEN
County/ ABERDEEN CITY/ABERDEEN CITY
GROS Data/ 300/00 0589
IMAGE/ No Image Available

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 29 Apr 2013 05:19

Thanks for that info, I had already come across that lady, but still not sure if it is her.
My grandfather died in 1948 (William James Carter) She was listed as his daughter, but as far as I know she was adopted (whether officially or unofficially).
I have tried to do some research on her, but it still doesn't seem likely that it is her.
I will keep trying. Thanks for that. Jeanette

Helen

Helen Report 29 Apr 2013 17:07

Following on from the death previously noted ..

Free search on Scotlandspeople:

Marriage
Norah Wilson / Bowie and Gavin McArthur
County: Lanark
District: Partick

There is a marriage between a Norah Wilson and Gavin McArthur but not Norah Bowie and McArthur. Not sure where the name Bowie fits into the picture but there's a chance it may belong to her original family.

Possible death for Gavin McArthur

Gavin McArthur (age 62yrs)
County: Aberdeen
District: Aberdeen

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 30 Apr 2013 04:29

Thanks Helen, Yes I did see that Marriage as well, it does have me puzzled as photos taken round 1948 states her name as McArthur, but no mention of any husband - it would be good if SP had electoral rolls, but I havent noticed any on their site as yet - I will keep trying. Thanks all for your info. Jeanette

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Apr 2013 08:34

The ER will be in the main public library for the area

If you have an address, and can't visit the library in person, they may be prepared to carry out a search. Nothing lost by asking................