Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

J.ohn Gray

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

eileen

eileen Report 19 Apr 2013 08:08

My GGGrandfather John Gray was born around 1810 in perhaps Yorkahire or maybe Nottinghamshire, married in Babworth Nott. 1836 to Hannah Kitching from Misson Nott. Records here show he emigrated with his wife and son to Australia in 1840 and settled in the Geelong, Victoria district. Farming. His son James was born in Victoria in 1844 and was my GGrandfather. James married Elizabeth Jane Fulton on the 28/8/1867 and they had 2 sons John and William the latter my Grandfather. What I would like to find out more about John Gray's origins and what happened to James. We were led to believe that James died young but I now know that this is not correct. He was alive in 1885 as aged 41 on his mothers death certifivate and I know he was listed as missing from Araret V. 1873 and I know his sons grew up without a father. Unfortunately my mother, William's daughter, was only a child when her father died so she knew little of her ancestry. I would love to hear from anyone out there who could shed a bit of light on this father and son. Eileen.

Gee

Gee Report 19 Apr 2013 08:29

Hi

Have you got his brothers marriage certificate to see if James is mentioned?

Australia Birth Index, 1788-1922
George Gray
Father's Name: John Gray
Mother's Name: Hannah Kitching
Birth Place: Dune, Victoria
Registration Year: 1854
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration number: 4796

Australia Marriage Index, 1788-1950
George Gray
Spouse Name: Sarah Gray
Marriage Place: Victoria
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration Year: 1885
Registration number: 3304

Gee

Gee Report 19 Apr 2013 08:43

here is this one on ER but no telling if it's him

Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980
Name: Elizabeth Jane & James Gray (pensioner)
Electoral Year: 1909
State: Victoria
District: Corio
Subdistrict: Newtown and Chilwell

Marshall Street

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Apr 2013 09:18

As John's marriage was pre-GRO, you won't be able to find out from the record the name of John's father.

And, as the name is such a common one, you need every scrap of info to try to trace him.

Do you know who witnessed the marriage?

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 20 Apr 2013 18:43

Welcome to the Community boards Eileen.

As Eileen is a new poster, I have sent a friendly message re how to return to thread. :-)

alviegal

alviegal Report 20 Apr 2013 20:55

I don't know if you've seen all this? From http://pandora.nla.gov.au

Says John was born in Bedford.

first families 2001 Details First Family Member Details
Family Stories
Descendants

First Family Member Details
Surname: GRAY
Given Name(s): John
Occupation(s): Labourer

Birth Details
Birth Town: Bedford
Birth Country: England
Birth Date: 1809

Immigration Details
Air/Port Landed: Geelong, Victoria
Ship/Plane: Marmion
Year Arrived: 29/8/1940

Surname: KITCHEN/KITCHING
Given Name(s): Hannah
Occupation(s): Housewife

Birth Details
Birth Town: Nottingham
Birth Country: England
Birth Date: 1810

Death Details
Death Town: Breakwater, Geelong
Death State/Territory: Victoria
Death Country: Australia
Death Date: 12/1/1885

Immigration Details
Air/Port Landed: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Ship/Plane: Marmion
Year Arrived: 29/8/1940

Family Stories

Life in Australia:

John Gray was born in 1809 in Bedford, England. He married Hannah Kitching on the 1/12/1836. On their marriage certificate it says that he was a widower and the witnesses were Valentine Kitching and Jane Knight. John immigrated to Australia aged 31 years , Occupation Labourer. He was a Protestant who could read and write. Bounty was 20 pounds. His wife Hannah was 30 years. On her death certificate it says that she was born in Yorkshire but christening records show her to have been christened in Misson, Nottingham 12/3/1810 parents were Valentine Kitchen/ Kitching and Ann Brooks. There son William was seven years old when they travelled to Australia. On Williams Death Certificate it says that he was born in Nottingham in 1827 which would make him 13 years old. He died 23/5/1897 Ballarat, Victoria

They arrived on the ship the Marmion at Geelong 29/8/1840.

Hannah died 12/1/1885 Breakwater, Geelong, Victoria and was buried on 14/1/1885 in the Eastern Cemetery Geelong, Victoria. She died of debility she had it for some time.

She spent 35 years in Victoria and seven years in Queensland. In Victoria they seemed to have stayed around the Geelong, Colac, Mount Moriac regions

Ann was born 1840,

Mary Kitchen born 1842 died 30/1/1922 Mt Moriac,Victoria she married Robert John Francis Ackland born 1842 Colac died 30/1/1922 Mount Moriac His parents were Richard Ackland and Mary Maunder from Devon, England. He was a farmer who lived at Mt Moriac.

James was born on 17/4/1844 Geelong.

Hannah was born on 20/3/1846 Geelong and died 17/4/1926 Greymouth, New Zealand. She married 13/4/1871 to John Tindale born 26/6/1839 Ewerby Thorpe, Lincolnshire, England died 15/8/1926 Greymouth, New Zealand.

Elizabeth was born 1849 Barabool Hills.

John was born 1851 died Carlton Home, Duneed, Victoria.

Valentine born 1852 married 1880 Tarnagulla to Elizabeth Ivory born 1854 died Warracknabeal in 1926 and was buried in the Methodist Section of the Warracknabeal Cemetery on the 12/5/1926. Her parents were Thomas Ivory and Rosina Omorrow.They had six children and lived around the Warracknabeal area.

George Gray born 1855 died 1890 Terang married Sarah Gray born 1861 Terang parents George Gray and Sarah Hewitt.

The story goes that they may be cousins.

George Gray her father and John Gray his father were brothers, as on young George Grays death Certificate it is stated that the witness to his death was his uncle George Gray I am still trying to find Johns death.

Joseph born 1858. There was also another Joseph on the certificate deceased.

Life Before Australia:

Valentine Kitchen/ Kitching Hannahs father was a tailor in England

Descendants

Children
GRAY, Ann GRAY, Elizabeth GRAY, George
GRAY, Hannah GRAY, James GRAY, John
GRAY, Joseph GRAY, Mary Kitchen GRAY, Valentine Kitchen
GRAY, William

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Apr 2013 04:36

This is the entry in the Parish Register for John and Hannha's marriage

from www.familysearch.org/

Hannah Kitching, "England, Marriages, 1538–1973 "

Name: John Gray
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Spouse's Birth Date:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age:
Event Date: 01 Dec 1836
Event Place: Babworth,Nottingham,England
Father's Name:
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Name:
Race:
Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:
Spouse's Race:
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M04533-1
System Origin: England-ODM
GS Film number: 503473, 504059, 504080
Reference ID:

I do not understand the reference to their "marriage certificate"

Registration of bmds did not begin in England until July 1 1837, and so no marriage certificates are available before that date.

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Apr 2013 04:48

from alviegal's posting

"There son William was seven years old when they travelled to Australia. On Williams Death Certificate it says that he was born in Nottingham in 1827 which would make him 13 years old. "

Whatever his age when he went to Australia ...................... they were married on Dec 1 1836, so he was born before their marriage.

Again, there will be no birth certificate for him if he was born before 1 July 1837 ............... the only record will be in the Parish Register

Flip

Flip Report 21 Apr 2013 07:10

It also states John Gray was a widower, so Hannah may not have been William's mother - he could be the son from John's first marriage.

eileen

eileen Report 22 Apr 2013 08:45

Wow, I'm overwelmed by all the replies re John Gray. So much information, a lot I knew but much I didn't. I am also trying to find my way around using my computer. At last after a lot of figureing out I recently obtained John's death certificate. He died in Queensland in Rockhampton on the 27th April 1873. He and Hannah were staying with their daughter Ann Shaw and the death certificate was signed by her. I got a hint when on Hannah's death certificate it said she had spent 7 years in Queensland. John's certificate states he was born in Nottinghamshire and married to Hannah in Yorkshire. I think that Ann got the two places mixed up. Children listed as living were Ann, Mary, James,Hannah, Valentine, Elizabeth, George and Joseph, the latter aged 16 years. Two males dead. These were John and another earlier Joseph. I managed to get most of my information from the Geelong Historical Society on a two hour visit a couple of years ago. They were wonderful there and I was able to get copies of newspaper records and a copy of John,s will. It is quite long. Nowhere is there mention of William. James also doesn't figure much except to say he was still alive. The son-in-law was Robert Ackland seems to be looking after Hannah and is mentioned on John's will. Hard to believe, but many years ago I lived for a short time in Rockhampton and across the road from the cemetery where John was laid to rest. Many an evening in the cool I would take my children for a walk there. I have lived all the rest of my life in North Queensland and am now retired and living in Cairns. I will study the information you have all given me and thank you everybody. Eileen

eileen

eileen Report 12 Jun 2013 06:39

I have just returned home from a trip down south. Stopped overnight in Rockhampton and while there did everything I could to try and locate where John Gray was buried. I know he is in the old cemetery and that it is now closed for future burials and I also know he is in Section 1 Grave 42, BUT, there doesn't appear to be any record of just where this is or even if there is a headstone. The old cemetery in Rockhampton is very large and ill-kept. The Information Centre, actually next to the cemetery, had some very kind ladies who tried their best to help me. They confirmed that John was there somewhere and tried to get more information form the Rockhampton Shire Council. No luck. I spent a couple of hours looking for myself but again no luck. Getting too long in the tooth for that sort of thing. I'm a bit disappointed.
Anyway cheers all. Eileen :-(