Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sarah Addy born c1799 in stonehouse, Devon

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 11 May 2013 15:35

I am trying it find who Sarah parents are to research her line backwards. She is my 4xgreat grandmother.

She married Edward Littlejohns in 1817 after his first wife died and then she passed away in 1861.

I can't find any possible baptisms, but have found a few similarities in some things that I am trying to piece together to determined who her parents are.

If someone could look at the marriage of Sarah Addy in 1817 stoke dameral and then compare to the Marriage of Henry Adday in 1824 in Stoke Dameral. You will see how Henry Adday signs his mark, is that the same signature as the Witness on Sarah Addy's marriage in 1817?

Also the witness Elizabeth lee on Sarah Addys marriage I have also found on a marriage of Elizabeth Eddey in 1816. Then on this Elizabeth marriage in 1816 there is another witness Henry Eddey. This Henry Eddey is also a witness I believe on a marriage of Richard Eddey in 1819

On Sarah's marriage can anyone work out the initial for the Eddey witness. I have been looking at other Addy/Eddy etc marriages incase she was a witness and it gave me clues to perhaps a sibling, hence all the details other other marriages above,

Any other input to try and work this all out would be appreciated.

You can see my other post on this, on another website here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=304341.0

So not to waste anyone's time going over things I have already looked at so far. I have everything for her from her marriage to her death, so don't need anything from there, it is trying to trace her roots backwards which is giving me the grief.

Thanks in advance

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 12 Sep 2014 21:39

Bump just incase some fresh eyes might have some advice/help on this.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Sep 2014 22:53

Hi there - is Addy her maiden name?

could this be her?

Name: Edmund Eddy
Event Type: Baptism
Christening Date: 17 Jul 1825
Christening Place: Kingsbridge, Devon
Father's Name: John Eddy
Mother's Name: Sarah Eddy
Affiliate Publication Number: RG4_1088

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Sep 2014 22:55

??????????

Name: Henry Eddey
Event Date: 1801
Event Place: Devon
Source Reference: 358/6
Digital Folder Number: 004634293

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Sep 2014 22:56

?????????????

Name: Henry Eddy
Event Type: Marriage
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year: 1842
Registration District: Kingsbridge
County: Devon
Event Place: Kingsbridge, Devon, England
Volume: 9
Page: 423
Line Number: 99

Henry Eddy probably married one of the following people

Name: Sarah Moore

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Sep 2014 22:58

????????????

Name: Mary Ann Littlejohn
Christening Date: 27 Apr 1823
Christening Place: Plymouth, Devon
Father's Name: Edward Littlejohn
Mother's Name: Sarah Littlejohn
Affiliate Publication Number: RG4_1091

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 13 Sep 2014 02:50

Addy or Ady is her maiden name. She married Edward Littlejohns in 1817.

She was born about 1799 and died 1861. She lived in a Plymouth. Edward died in 1828.

I am still struggling to find her parents. Other than the possibly Eddey signature as a witness at her marriage I have no other clues.

Gritty

Gritty Report 13 Sep 2014 13:18

Sarah's surname on marriage is Ady. Witnesses look like H. Edderly & Elizabeth Lee. The signiture looks very similar to the Henry Adday marriage- his signiture looking more like Eddey.

Gritty

Gritty Report 13 Sep 2014 13:34

I think you can discount Elizabeth Lee as family- she appears as witness for many of the Stoke Damerel marriages.

CelticShiv

CelticShiv Report 13 Sep 2014 14:38

Thanks gritty, yeah I noticed the Elizabeth Lee appears as a witness on a lot of marriages.

I have seen addy transcribed as all kinds of variations, so I wonder if this Henry Eddey could be a brother?

Although you would expect her name to be written the same maybe?