Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

national probate calendar / wills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jmoonlabelle1@gmail.com

[email protected] Report 18 May 2013 22:26

hi from canada, not sure where i got all this ( 1887 MOON James, Personal estate £668 7s. 3d. 20 December. Administration (with the Will) of the Personal Estate of James Moon late of 127 Marina St. Leonard's-on-Sea in the county of Sussex Grocer and Baker, who died 20 November 1887 at St. Leonard's-on-Sea was granted at the Principal Registry to Charlotte Moon of 127 Marina Widow the Relict one of the Residuary Legatees)

now looking for (ancestry supposedly...) Charlotte Moon died feb 12 1909 at 24 Milward Crescent, Hastings and Cuthbert Baker died feb 19, 1936 at 22 Quarry Road, Hastings age 77 and Theresa Louise baker Sep 1948 and Hastings and John Wall 72 Manor rd., hastings died dec 27 1916 and james moon died 17 june 1880 hastings and william cooper 14 june 1904 hastings and his wife elizabeth cooper 1925 hastings please?

i am going there in a few months and hope to get more info. before i go over please?
jennifer

Pam

Pam Report 18 May 2013 22:33

Charlotte Moon of 24 Milward Crescent Hastings, widow who died 12 February 1909. Probate London 15th March to Elizabeth Cooper, widow and Henry Walter Coussens, Architect. Effects £1133 19s.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 May 2013 22:41

Is she Elizabeth Jane Cooper ?

Name: Elizabeth Jane Cooper
Probate Date: 29 May 1925
Death Date: 24 Feb 1925
Death Place: Hastings, Sussex, England
Registry: Lewes

No that one is described as spinster

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 May 2013 22:45

Name: Cuthbert Baker
Probate Date: 30 Mar 1936
Death Date: 19 Feb 1936

22 Quarry Road, Hastings
Probate to Cuthert Reginald Wall Baker, commercial traveller, and Sidney John Hawes, merchants manager
Effects £866 11s 4d

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 19 May 2013 07:46

The only one for William Cooper is in St Leonard's

11 St Matthew's Drive, St. Leonard's on Sea died 14 June 1904. Probate London to Henry Walter Cussens Architect and William John Ransom solicitor's clerk. Effects £3449 7s 11d

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 May 2013 11:33

Do you have this? It says that Cuthbert was born "on the sea":

1901 England Census
about Cuthbert Baker Name: Cuthbert Baker
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1859
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Agnes Baker
Where born: On the Sea

Civil Parish: St Andrew
Ecclesiastical parish: St Andrew
County/Island: Sussex

Street Address:
Registration District: Hastings
Sub-registration District: All Saints
ED, institution, or vessel: 24
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Schedule Number: 65
Piece: 868
Folio: 8
Page Number: 8
Household Members: Name Age
Cuthbert Baker 42
Agnes Baker 47
Reginald W Baker 14
Maud H Baker 13
Albert C Baker 10
Lillian G Baker 7
John Wall 72
Mary Wall 71

Address is 147 Quarrie Rd.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 May 2013 12:38

If you wanted full versions of the Wills and Probate, you'd have to apply by post

http://hmctscourtfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCTS/GetForm.do?court_forms_id=739

Download form PA1 S

They require payment of £6 per Will/Probate/Administration by cheque. Unless you have a UK relative who can do this in Sterling on your behalf, it might be a bit tricky. They don't accept credit card payments

A full list of Probate Registries and Sub-registeries can be found here

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate/probate-registries
None are particularly close to Hastings. :-0

jmoonlabelle1@gmail.com

[email protected] Report 19 May 2013 16:57

yes, HeyJudeB4Beatles, this is Elizabeth's husband, he died before her so assuming his estate went to her, looking for her will to try to locate living rellies,

thank you Margee for cuthbert- i have this

thank you detective-it looks like it may be easier to order them than get them at Brighton i was thinking or Lewes...

looking for Theresa Louise baker died Sep 1948 Hastings and John Wall 72 Manor rd., hastings died dec 27 1916 and james moon died 17 june 1880 hastings and elizabeth cooper died 1925 hastings (maybe it is not hastings...) and emma baker age 81 died 10 Jan 1914 hastings (this one is new) please?

i read somewhere that If the probate calendar states administration, there is no will (unless specified) , how would i know if this is the case on cuthbert, charlotte and william above please? thanks
jennifer

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 May 2013 17:11

If there were any entries on the National Probate Calender for those other names then the entries would have been posted.

Anyone posting info has to look at the actual image and type out the details before they post on a thread. So the members will be very careful to mention the word "Probate" or "Administration"

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 May 2013 17:15

They all have Probate listed, so there should be a Will. Partial C&P from previous posts

Charlotte Moon - Probate London 15th March
Cuthbert Baker - Probate to…..
William Cooper - Probate London

Try emailing Brighton to see if they can produce a Will on the day of planned your visit. At the Central Registry in London, you can collect the fpllowing day or they send them out within 8 days, or so they claim. You would probably be able to pay with something other than a cheque via the cashiers office.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 May 2013 17:32

Not seeing any of the names in your most recent post - not everyone has enough in their Estate to go to Administration or Probate... or else they kept what ever they had in a tin box under the bed!

The Elizabeth Cooper previously posted by GlitterBaby

Name: Elizabeth Jane Cooper
Probate Date: 29 May 1925
Death Date: 24 Feb 1925

Spinster of Lower Park Rd Hastings died at the Royal East Sussex Hospital Hastings. Probate to Rose Emily Evernden (wife of Edwin Everden) and Evelyn May Cooper spinster.
Effects £1422 7s 8d

jmoonlabelle1@gmail.com

[email protected] Report 19 May 2013 18:25

ok, thank you all, i am understanding slow but sure, thanks for all of your input, it is all helping greatly, yes this original elizabeth is the daughter of the elizabeth that i was looking for because the other daughter was evelyn so even better now to find living rellies, THANKS! there is so much knowlege out there that i never would have figured out all this in such a short a time, it would have taken weeks/months, ok, i will close this thread and start my next one about land records/deeds for my addresses in hastings, happy hunting!
jennifer