Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George French (1891-1976)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 11 Jun 2013 14:47

ANSWERED

Good Afternoon

Would someone please post the GRO Ref for George Charles William French (died Q4 1976 - Poplar and Bethnal Green) for me please. I've tried but he is not appearing on FreeBMD for some reason.

Thank you.
J-A

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 11 Jun 2013 14:55

Civil Registration event: Death
Print Close Name: FRENCH, George Charles W
Registration district: Poplar & Bethnal Green
County: London
Year of registration: 1976
Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Date of birth: 23 July 1891
Volume no: 14
Page no: 1371

George

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 11 Jun 2013 14:56

That's him - thank you George

J-A

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 11 Jun 2013 15:08

The work on FreeBMD is done by volunteers so the coverage will not be uptodate

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 11 Jun 2013 15:24

Thanks GlitterBaby, I had hoped I might find him on there as some 1976 deaths are there, unfortunately not his, and I wanted to order his DC this afternoon but didn't want to have to wait for GRO to do the search, as I didn't want to wait 3 weeks. Thanks to George_of_Westbury my George will be on his way soon.

J-A

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 3 Apr 2014 13:18

I am adding to this thread - not because it is really about George but possibly about some children who may belong to George

I know George married Lily Tucker - I have that family information (or so I believed) until I decided to make a few additional notes on this family. So, using FreeBMD I searched for births with French with MMN Tucker 1912 to 1930, focussing on East London.

I found what I expected but also 2 other births I did not expect::

Births Sep 1919   (>99%)

French  Margaret M  Tucker  Bethnal G.

Births Dec 1926   (>99%)

French  James F  Tucker  Bethnal G.

So now I am on the trail.

Firstly, I wondered whether there was another French/Tucker marriage in the area, checked that and none seem likely (not 100%sure though). Then I looked at the 2 unexpected births, they fit in the gaps between the expected births.

Next I checked deaths:

Deaths Dec 1921   (>99%)

French  Margaret M  2  Brighton  

Deaths Jun 1927   (>99%)

French  James F  0  Bethnal G.

As the deaths tie up with the births, it looks as if they are all the same family. I wondered whether anyone can see anything I may have missed? I may need to consider the the birth and death certificates at some point.

Thank you

J-A

Reggie

Reggie Report 3 Apr 2014 13:29

Surely this is the child which died..............

Births Jun 1919 (>99%)
French Margaret M Park Brighton 2b 255

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 3 Apr 2014 13:33

Thank you Reggie - didn't think to check Brighton Births - so I will see if I can find a marriage for the Bethnal Green Margaret M.....

Update: Reggie, thanks I have checked again and placed Margaret M born 1919 marrying in East London.

Just my query on James - so will get the cert.

Thank you