Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please help find a death in Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 14 Jun 2013 09:10

Please can anyone find the death of Catherine Kay nee Catherine Graham born abt 1812-1813, wife of Thomas a shoemaker, I have her on the 1841, 1851 with family & 1861 census with her daughter Rachael Begley & family living at, 60 East Cross Causeway Edinburgh St Cuthberts,
Catherine died between 1861 & 1872 when Rachael died, on her cert it states mother deceased.
Thank you
Ann

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Jun 2013 09:19

BMDrecords for Scotland are on Scotlands People which isn't a subs site .i,m afraid

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Jun 2013 10:33

Credits on SP cost £7.00 for 30..............

You can download the cert if you find the record you need

greyghost

greyghost Report 14 Jun 2013 10:54

Catherine Kay age 61 died 1872 Haddington District East Lothian
GROS data 709/00 0130

For full details use Scotlands People, costs detailed by Reggie. The above info is available for 1 credit but you will then need 5 credits to view the full record which you will then be able to download.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 14 Jun 2013 11:46

1871 poss which might match the possible death in 1872

Name: Catherine Kay
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1814
Relationship: Patient
Where born: Haddn, haddington
Registration number: 709/2
Registration District: Haddington Landward
Civil Parish: Haddington
County: East Lothian
Address: Aberlady Road Aryburn
ED: 2
Household Schedule Number: 51
Line: 16
Roll: CSSCT1871_172

The place of birth does not match the 1861 census but might be a case of putting where they are living

mary

mary Report 14 Jun 2013 14:29

Could you please help me to find birth record for Thomas Seaton Duncan born 1921 in a place named IRONGRAY SCOTLAND.THANK YOU.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Jun 2013 15:01

Hi Mary, and welcome to the boards

Its usually better to start your own thread, rather than tag on to another existing one.

If you have read the thread, you will note that Scottish BMD records after civil registration started in 1855 are only available on Scotlandspeople which is a pay to view site. Stuart obviously had a spare credit to find the details for Ann, but no one should 'assume' that other people will pay out of their own pocket for someone elses 'look up'. You may be lucky, so to a certain extent, there is no harm in asking.

Site link added
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/welcome.aspx

Whilst undertaking a 'free' search I noticed that there were 2 birth results for a Thomas Seaton Duncan in 1921 - there is a 1982 death but it might be for the 'wrong' one.

You would need to purchase credits to view the registration details and to download the birth certificate. The death certificate, if correct, has to be ordered.
Someone might be willing to use a credit to look at the reference, but without the certificate you may not be sure which is the correct record.

greyghost

greyghost Report 14 Jun 2013 15:40

Irongray would appear historically to be in the County of Kirkcudbrightshire, now part of Dumfries and Galloway.

Both Thomas Seaton Duncan's found by "DetEcTive" are found under Dumfries & Galloway on Scotland's People

Using an odd left over credit - these are the returns. As advised above, to view the full details you would have to purchase the certificate. Images on the website are only available if over 100 years old in the case of births

Your SR Births Search Returns
You searched for: Surname: "duncan"; Surname Option: Exact; Forename: "thomas seaton"; Forename Option: Prefix; Sex: "Male"; Year From: 1920; Year To: 1922; County: DUMFRIES;

Jump to page: of 1 (2 records)
No Year Surname Forename Sex District City/County/MR GROS
Data
1 1921 DUNCAN THOMAS SEATON M MIDDLEBIE (NORTHERN DISTRICT) /DUMFRIES 841/01 0012
2 1921 DUNCAN THOMAS SEATON M HOLYWOOD /DUMFRIES 830/00 0016

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Jun 2013 16:33

If Ann ever returns to this thread, she will be mightily confused

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Jun 2013 19:06

Quite true Reggie - but at least she has already made over 500 posts so might be able to sort out what has happened.

Stuart - thanks for the correction re downloadable certificates. You can tell I rarely use Scotlandspeople! :-)

mary

mary Report 14 Jun 2013 21:03

First I must apologise to Ann.As a novice of 70yrs I,,m not very good at this.Also thank you DetEcTive for your help much apreceiated.regards Mary.

Ann

Ann Report 14 Jun 2013 23:31

Shirley ,Reggie, thank you for the info.
Stuart many thank for the info on Catherine's death,
GlitterBaby thank you for the census I had not found that one

I will look into getting some credits for SP, I will have to see what else I need.

Ann