Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Archibald Hayes b about 1861, Co. Down, Ireland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DavidCassells

DavidCassells Report 26 Jun 2013 14:36

Hi, would be grateful for help with details about Archie, my great grandfather.
I have been unable to find details of his birth, mother's name and marriage of his parents, nor any other mention of his father other than his christening.
According to his wedding certificate his father was James Hayes. He married Mary Campbell in 1896, Upper Falls Church of Ireland. I believe he was raised by his father's sister, Eleanor Hayes and her husband John Salters. They lived in Dunmurry, Belfast, as per the 1901 and 1911 census. On his grave his middle name is 'Salters'. On his son's birth record, Archie's middle name is 'Taylor'.
His father James Gourley Hayes [b abt 1827] had nine siblings, all christened at Killinchy in Co. Down, father also Archibald.

Mike *

Mike * Report 26 Jun 2013 17:31

someone's tree has the following but don't know how accurate it is

Name: Archie Hayes
Birth: C 1861/6 (Jun 1861) - Down
Death: 18 Nov 1933 - Fortfield Cottage, Dunmurry
Marriage: 6 Nov 1896
Parents: James Gourley Hayes
Spouse: Mary Margaret Campbell
Burial Dunmurry Non-Subscibing Presbyterian Cemetery

EDIT
This is your tree !..

safc

safc Report 26 Jun 2013 17:35

????

James Gourley Hays, "Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881"
Name: James Gourley Hays
Christening Date: 23 Nov 1812
Christening Place: PRESBYTERIAN,KILLINCHY,DOWN,IRELAND
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Hugh Hays
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C70030-1
System Origin: Ireland-ODM
GS Film number: 0823877 IT 6, 0824373 IT 4

DavidCassells

DavidCassells Report 26 Jun 2013 23:51

Thanks for the replies folks. I think that tree is very accurate Mike! :)

Not sure if I had seen that James Gourley son of Hugh before safc - probably connected somehow but doesn't seem to be Archie's father as far as I can make out.

Sorry, I should have said so but have been doing this for a long time and looked in many places on the net and had researchers look into the family a couple of times.