Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

the factory and workshop act 1901

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

teresa

teresa Report 26 Jun 2013 19:13

i have my grandfathers birth certificate and on the back is the factory and workshop act, for his brother why wpold it be on a birth certificate? :

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 26 Jun 2013 20:08

Hi Teresa

It sounds very unusual. I think a certificate marked with the factory and workshop act was issued to say that a child below school leaving age was permitted to go to work. It is usually signed by the school master/mistress. The child had to have achieve the minimum of reading and writing.

I wonder if it was issued on the back of your grandfather's birth certificate to save money.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Jun 2013 20:08

In 1901 the minimun working age was raised to 12,!

It could be related to as proof of release from education to work.?

teresa

teresa Report 26 Jun 2013 20:32

thanks both we think it was to save money. do you know where i could take it for someone to look at it.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 26 Jun 2013 20:37

There are a few people have had similar queries, here's one example:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/showthread.php/64468-Cert-issued-for-the-purpose-of-The-Facory-and-Workshop-act-1901

teresa

teresa Report 26 Jun 2013 21:12

Thanks. X

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Jun 2013 05:53

If you're required to produce a b.cert to get a job, or get enrolled in something like the NHS, I think there's a special cheap price for b.certs - I forget why my mum had to get one in the 1930s, but I think she only had to pay 20% of standard price which was 2/6 at time (I think).