Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James W Summerfield

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Waine

Waine Report 4 Jul 2013 11:37

I am seeking any information on my G-G Grandfather. He could have been a convict, as no other information is evident in the following time period.
James married Sarah Taylor in 1853 at Armidalde NSW, they had 4 children, all born in the Sofala NSW area. They moved to Lambing Flat (Young)NSW in 1860-61. James died in 1862 from injuries received in the mine at Young. Sarah remarried in 1864 to William Sam and they had several children.

Mike *

Mike * Report 4 Jul 2013 11:52

How old was James when he died ?
Did he name his father on his marriage cert?
Do you know which country he was born in ?

safc

safc Report 4 Jul 2013 12:25

Sarah Taylor, "Australia, Marriages, 1810-1980"
Name: James William Somerfield
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Spouse's Birth Date:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age:
Event Date: 17 Oct 1853
Event Place: St. Peter, Armidale, New South Wales, Australia
Father's Name:
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name: James Taylor
Spouse's Mother's Name:
Race:
Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:
Spouse's Race:
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M31026-3
System Origin: Australia
GS Film number: 993964
Reference ID:

alviegal

alviegal Report 4 Jul 2013 13:30

2734/1862 SUMMERFIELD JAMES AGE 34 YEARS DIED BINALONG BINALONG

Gives a birth year c 1828.

Waine

Waine Report 4 Jul 2013 13:37

On his death certificate his age is given as 34 in 1862. On the birth certificate of his 3rd child Joseph his age is given as 36 in 1858.
No mention on any certificates of his Parents.
No idea where he was born. One piece of info indicates that he was born in Sydney,no date or year given.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jul 2013 13:44

These are the only entries on FMP........both too early

State:New South Wales
Day of arrival in NSW:8
Month of arrival in NSW:Jun
Year of arrival in NSW:1832
Given names:JAMES
Surname:SUMMERFIELD
Ship name:JOHN
Record source:Convict Arrivals in New South Wales
Data provider:The Genealogical Society of Victoria
Transcriptions © The Genealogical Society of Victoria Inc

State:New South Wales
Day of arrival in NSW:8
Month of arrival in NSW:Dec
Year of arrival in NSW:1839
Given names:JAMES
Surname:SUMMERFIELD
Ship name:BARROSA
Record source:Convict Arrivals in New South Wales
Data provider:The Genealogical Society of VictoriaTranscriptions © The Genealogical Society of Victoria Inc.

alviegal

alviegal Report 4 Jul 2013 13:51

No idea if this may be him. He reported a stolen horse. Seemingly Louisa Creek is a mining town in the Bathurst area as is Sofala.

New South Wales, Australia, Police Gazettes, 1854-1930 about J W L Somerfield
Name: J W L Somerfield
Event Place: Louisa Creek
Event Type: Other
Publication Date: 1854

alviegal

alviegal Report 4 Jul 2013 14:13

Do you have his death certificate? I only ask because i saw this. You probably have too.

Were they born in NSW or did they come across the seas and if they came from overseas DO you know when? I ask this as on NSW death certs it gives you How Long in the Colonies as well as the details re parentage and their own marriage and the children of the marriage AND where buried

and

When Sarah Taylor married:-
Marriage Extract
Extract from the Register of Marriages solemnized in the Parish of St. Peter Armidale - Anglican Parish in the District of New England in the year 1853.
Page 32 Number 124
James William Somerfield of Sydney Bachelor and Sarah Taylor of this Parish spinster who married in this Church by Licence with consent of James the father of Sarah this seventeenth day of October in the year 1853 by me Henry ?????? This marriage was solemnized between us James W. Somerfield and Sarah Taylor in the presence of James Taylor of Sydney and Emma Taylor of Sydney (Emma signed with (X - her mark). A true copy Henry ????Officiating Minister.

both from http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=601208.0

EDIT Right, I see there are a few trees on ancestry with him on. There are both his MC and DC scans on them and there is no extra information.
Unknown is written for name and occupation of father and mother's name.

alviegal

alviegal Report 4 Jul 2013 14:30

One tree on ancestry has his birth in Bloxwich, Staffs in 1824 to William F and Eliza Taylor. It is not backed up with any proof though.

They have a picture of Sarah Taylor on it.

WILLIAM F SOMERFIELD 1798-1882 **** 1798 – 1882
ELIZA TAYLOR 1802-1862 **** 1802 – 1862

Waine

Waine Report 5 Jul 2013 04:57

Thank you very much everybody for your interest and input to my ancestor, Yes I have all the information that you all have contributed. The adds that were placed in news papers about his stolen horses I found on Trove along with a report where he had soled 36ozs of gold to the government from the Turon gold fields. All these areas are in the general area of Sofala I am told.
There was a James Summerfield that was sent to Tas in 1842 as a convict for 7 yrs he gained Tof L in 1844 and a Pardon in 1846, then left Tassie in 1848 on the Swan and came to Port Phillip. But I cannot find any trace of him after that, therefore cannot identify him as my ancestor. Many Thanks everybody.