Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Charles WISEMAN

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gael

Gael Report 5 Jul 2013 09:40

I am looking for the parents of John Charles WISEMAN. John was born in Hobart, Tasmania on 12 Jan 1886, Orphaned at the age of 7, brought up by an uncle and aunty, James and Mary Ann Levesque, who emigrated to Auckland's Birkenhead ....

James Stanley LEVESQUE and Mary Ann HUMBY would have been living in Melbourne when John was seven. At this stage I cannot find any connection John has to the LEVESQUE family, but maybe related to the HUMBY family from Channel Islands.

John died on 15 May 1967 in Cambridge New Zealand. All his 6 boys have passed away and the only known grandchild Bruce I cannot find track down to ask for any information.

Have been in touch with the Cambridge Museum and though have information on the Wisemans, on John Charles' death notice there is no mention of his parents only that he had been brought up by his aunty and uncle as above.

Would love to have someone help me out.

Thanks

Gael :-)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 5 Jul 2013 09:44

What evidence do you have of him being orphaned at age 7 ?

My Scottish grandfather was brought up by his Aunt and her husband but he was not orphaned.

Gael

Gael Report 5 Jul 2013 10:09

Hi GlitterBaby

There are two separate articles one written by John's son Collin Wiseman of Cambridge under the title of Looking Back over 100 years of farming The Wiseman Family I read in our local library yesterday [going back to get the magazine date], and the other A Newspaper Article [unfortunately no date or what paper] was sent to me today from the Cambridge Museum. Both these stories have him as an orphan at 7. Also have a photo of John Charles Wiseman with James and Mary Ann, with her sister and other members of the family. He would be about 14 or so then.

Thanks
Gael

Gael

Gael Report 5 Jul 2013 11:04

Hi GlitterBaby

Persistence is worth it!

Found a great site for Tasmania births etc and found the birth and parents of John Charles Wiseman as follows:

WISEMAN, JOHN CHARLES

Birth
1886 - HOBART,Tasmania [c]

Marriage/Relationship:

Death:

FAMILY INFORMATION

Parents:

191317 HUMBY MARIA TERRY
290596 WISEMAN THOMAS

Siblings:

304361 WISEMAN JOSHUA FRANK 1889
304363 WISEMAN MARY 1891

So he was related to Mary Anne HUMBY as Maria was her sister

Here's the site to those looking for Tasmanian births, marriages and deaths:
Colonial Tasmanian Family Links Database - Archives Search Portal

portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=8

Regards

Gael

Persephone

Persephone Report 5 Jul 2013 13:18

The Levesque family were well known as Fruit growers in the Birkdale area before it became a built out suburb.

I have the book "The Story Of Birkenhead" which has a few bits and pieces about the family.
My great grandfather was a farmer in Birkenhead and his family are mentioned in the book.

If you want any of the info (as additional material) from it quite happy to copy and put it on here or on a pm..

I used to live on the main road opposite Levesque Street.

Persie

Gael

Gael Report 16 Jul 2013 05:50

Hi Persie,

Sorry did not see your posting until now.

Would love to have some extra information on the family as 'Charles' as was known is rather a mystery to me. I cannot find any possible family of Charles in Cambridge as all of his children have died, the last being Colin who wrote a few articles. The Takapuna library gave me an email address for Colin's wife Berys but it never went through, so she may have passed away or be in a home.

Up todate I found that his parents Thomas and Maria with two of their children William Alfred and Elizabeth Jane arrived in Melbourne on the same ship as the Levesque, the Kildare, which went first to Tasmania and then onto Melbourne in 1884. They were married in England 1872 [though there is a marriage in 1889 for them in Tasmania which is a bit of a mystery] and then must have gone to Tasmania from Melbourne before Charles was born 12 June 1886 in Tasmania followed by his brother Joseph Franks 1889 who later went to NSW and was married. Then his sister Mary was born 1891, the same year both his parents died two months apart. She lived only a year and died in Hobart, so someone must have looked after her there.

Charles married Ivy Simpson in Cambridge at her parents place. Apparently she and her parents use to live in Birkenhead. They ended up with six boys and lived on a farm.

Would love to know more of what happened on the 'shore' in Charles' earlier life.

Regards and thanks

Gael

Persephone

Persephone Report 18 Jul 2013 07:56

I wonder if these are some of your Wiseman's as well.

MARRIAGES NZ

LAISHLEY—WISEMAN.—On the 6th June 1868, by the Rev. J Hill, Richard, eldest son of the Rev. R. Laishley, to Jane second daughter of Mr. John Wiseman, late of Tasmania.

WISEMAN—GRAHAM.—On the 9tlh April 1867, by the Rev. James Buller, Alexander, third son of Mr. John Wiseman, Hobart Town, Tasmania, to Mary Jane, third daughter of Mr. George Graham, Auckland.

OBITUARY. 1927.

MR. JOHN WISEMAN. Very many friends in Auckland will learn with regret that information was received yesterday afternoon of the death on April 23, at San Diego. California; of Mr. John Wiseman, at the age of 67. Mr. Wiseman was born in Tasmania, and in 1861 came with his parents to Dunedin. where his father. the late Mr. James Wiseman, started the saddlery business, which was transferred to Auckland the next year. Mr John Wiseman was educated in Auckland, and later joined his father in ths business of wholesale saddlery, now known as J. Wiseman and Sons. Ltd When Mr. James Wiseman died in 1903 his son John became head of the firm and was managing director until his departure for California. Mr. John Wiseman was connected with aquatics from his youth, and was for a long time Commodore of the Auckland Yacht Club, and on the occasion of his marriage wns presented by the members with a handsome clock. It was largely due to Mr. Wiseman that the club secured the right to add the use of the word "Royal." The flag at the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadfon rooms (Auckland) is half-masted to-day.

Persie

Persephone

Persephone Report 18 Jul 2013 08:20

I will return a pm to you, I cannot see where Colin died or his wife so before I type up all about the Levesque family. I will send you contact details.

sons of John and Ivy:
I am guessing that these are two of their sons as they were all listed in same area.

Stanley died in 1987
and James died in 2002. I think they married two sisters Norma and Ngaire Collard and cannot find a death for either of them.

Thomas Arthur born 1912, died 1958 his wife may have married again, cannot find a death for her either. He is in births and deaths registry.

Persie

Gael

Gael Report 21 Jul 2013 07:12

Persie,

I don't recognise those names in your 1st message for the 18th. There was another Wiseman family that came from Tasmania who lived at the same time there and may belong to them. Of course, I won't count them out.

Yes, both Stanley and Thomas Arthur are the sons of John and Ivy.

Thanks for your help,

Gael

Persephone

Persephone Report 21 Jul 2013 07:40

Now I have your tree I will endeavour to complete some dates for you... cheers Persie