Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Fitz-George

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 5 Jul 2013 17:07

I am trying to find anything I can about our ancestors George Fitz-George (father and son). They lived during the early-mid 19th Century in London, but were apparently born in Hessen Homburg in Germany and had little in the way of birth certificates to prove who they were, other than that the father was resident at The Pelham Club in Hanover Square and the son, who used the same club, was resident at 144 Stanhope Street in London.

They were both gentlemen of independent means and known circumstances suggest that they may have a connection with the House of Hanover. Any help in our family's enigma that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Fitz-George

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Gee

Gee Report 5 Jul 2013 17:25

Looking at the death and probate record, one of your George* was born in 1840.

Do you have any DOB for the family, siblings, children and wife?

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Jul 2013 17:50

??

1881 England Census about George Fitzgeorge
Name: George Fitzgeorge
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843
Relation: Head
Where born: London, London, Middlesex, England
Civil Parish: St Mary Abbotts
County/Island: London
Street Address: 41 Cathcart Rd
Education:

Employment status:

View Image
Registration District: Kensington
Sub-registration District: Brompton
ED, institution, or vessel: 12a
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 46
Folio: 82
Page Number: 14
Household Members:
Name Age
George Fitzgeorge 38
Robert Waters 29
Harriett Waters 29
Robert F Waters
Rose Saunders 23

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 5 Jul 2013 18:18

http://anthonyjcamp.com/page14.htm

(quite a bit of info. above)

Chris :)

Baptism (not sure if relating anywhere!)
George William Frederick
Surname:Fitzgeorge
Baptism year:1891 (Born 12 Oct 1891)
Baptism month:Dec
Baptism day:7
Parish:St Michael, Chester Square
County:Middlesex
Page:351
Birth year:1891
Birth month:Oct
Birth day:12
Father's First names:George William Adolphus (Colonel in Army)
Mother's First names:Rosa Frederica
Record source:Westminster Baptisms- Transcripts
Data provider:Westminster Archives
(address, 69, Cadogan Place)

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Jul 2013 18:29

Electoral roll
Name: Capt George Fitz-George
Year: 1881
County or Borough: Kensington and Chelsea
Street Address: 41 Cathcart road
Reference Number: MR/PER/B/042

on image George William Augustus

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Jul 2013 18:32

London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965 about George Fitzgeorge
Name: George ( william) Fitzgeorge
Year: 1893
County or Borough: Kensington and Chelsea
Ward or Division/Constituency: Chelsea
Street Address: 69 Cadogan place

Paul

Paul Report 6 Jul 2013 07:05

Thanks everyone, a few bits of data here to narrow things down:-

Gins - George Fitz-George the on was born (as per his gravestone in Kensal Green cemetery a stone's throw away from The Duke of Cambridge, his wife Sararah Fairbrother and one of his mistresses) on 13th May 1839. We cannot however find any trace of his birth in Great Britain. His mother Anne who shares his grave is shown as born 20th March 1815, his brother Owen who is in the same grave is shown as born 6th July 1841. We cannot find any birth certification for these two either in the UK, though Anne was in all probability born here, possibly in Biggleswade. Many thanks :)

Rambling Rose - The George you mention I think is the son by The Duke of Cambridge's morganatic marriage to Sarah Fairbrother the actress, he was the army side of the children born to her and their was another son Adolphus who was in the navy, same name but regrettably not the same George. Thanks for looking :)

Chris Ho - Thanks Chris, the page you indicate is Anthony Camp's and he has been helping us in our quest for information, much of the data there is Anthony's research plus our data in letters, millitary and navy documents, portraits and via our American cousin who has family paintings etc. The 1891 George.William Frederick is Rosa Baring's son who, off the top of my head was married to Adolphus, their branch evolving into (again off the top of my head) the Fiitz-George Balfours :). I contacted Anthony as I saw his book 'Royal Mistresses and Bastards' a good reference document and very interesting and as I said, Anthony has been a big help to us.

Paul

Paul Report 6 Jul 2013 07:07

Thanks again everyone much appreciated

Paul

Paul Report 14 Jul 2013 08:29

So does anyone else have any information at all re the George Fitz-Georges? I can add that George the Elder was married to Anne Edwards and the younger was married to Emma Forrest. Their daughter Sydney Anne Fitz-George was born in Hesse Homburg in Germany and married a Robert Snell who committed suicide. She later lived with a journalist called Tidey. All contribution most welcome :-)