Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

catholic families in Huddersfield, 1825

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 5 Jul 2013 21:05

Does anybody know whether there many wealthy Catholic families in Huddersfield around 1825?
Regards
Peter S

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

patchem

patchem Report 5 Jul 2013 21:28

Peter,
I think most of us would start by doing a general google search for more information.
Or going to the public library for more help.
Or even contacting a local history society based in Huddersfield.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Jul 2013 21:36

Peter, does your question relate to a specific family that you're researching?

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 5 Jul 2013 21:41

http://huddersfieldhistory.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/discovering-old-huddersfield-v2.pdf
MAYBE SOMETHING IN HERE

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 6 Jul 2013 17:35

Hello Peter and welcome to the Community Boards.

As Peter is a new poster, I will send him a friendly message on how to return to his thread. :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 8 Jul 2013 16:00

pm from Peter

"My Catholic g,g,grandmother, Annie Theresa Collier, b. 1806 in London, was living in H in 1829 when she got married in Manchester Cathedral.
She may have been a governess to a Catholic family or a teacher
Main Q. is why was she in Huddersfield?
Peter"

Peter, I don't see why a Catholic family couldn't be as wealthy as other denominations. However, why have you made the assumption? (Just reply using the box below).

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 8 Jul 2013 16:18

I guess this must be her marriage:

Manchester, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1930
Name: Annie Theresa Collier
Marriage Date: 9 Dec 1829
Parish: Manchester, St John
Parish as it Appears: Manchester, St John
Spouse's Name: Thomas Smith
Reference Number: GB127.M403/6/3/10

According to various records St John's Manchester was Church of England?
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Manchester/StJohn.shtml

Peter

Peter Report 8 Jul 2013 20:27

Hello Marie Celeste,
I know the details of ATC'c marriage in Manchester.
The family in H would have been fairly wealthy to have afforded a governess.
My guess is that there probably weren't many wealthy Catholic families in Huddersfield at the time and they would want a Catholic governess. Moreover, ATC would not go from London to Huddersfield without good reason. (NB: No railways and before the Catholic Emancipation Act)
Peter

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 8 Jul 2013 21:51

Peter, I think it would be best for you to take the advice offered above and contact the local family history society. They would have a good knowledge of the area and local mill owners......here is the link for the Huddersfield and District FHS.

http://www.hdfhs.org.uk/

Good luck. :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 8 Jul 2013 22:48

Peter - obviously you know she married in 1829 in Manchester and who to. The reason I posted it was because you said she married Manchester Cathedral but the record shows it was actually St Johns, which apparently is Church of England, not Catholic.

Why do you think she was a governess and why specifically a Catholic family (as she apparently married CoE)? She could equally have been staying with friends or relations.

Peter

Peter Report 9 Jul 2013 12:45

Marie,
Although her father and husband were CofE, her mother was Catholic and she had her children baptised as Catholics. One of the few occupations open to educated young unmarried women in the early 1820s was to be a governess and a witness at her wedding was also a governess. Hence I concluded that she may have been a governess and such an occupation may have taken her to Huddersfield to work for a family that could afford to employ her. I also concluded that the number of wealthy Catholic families in H at the time was very small so I assumed it was not an impossible task to find one or two. I will go to the local history society. If she had merely been staying with friends when she got married, she would not have said that she was "from Huddersfield" but from London where her family lived.
Incidentally, her father, William G Collier was a half-brother of Henry T B Collier, father of Gertrude B R Collier (See "The Magnificent Mrs Tennant" by David Walker). It's worth reading.
Peter