Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Descendants of Alexander N Moir & Elizabeth Legge

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 6 Jul 2013 04:08

Hello. Am looking for descendants of my paternal great grandfather's nephew Alexander Nicol Moir, born in Dunfemrline 1878 who was killed in World War I in September 1916 near Amiens in France. In 1902 he married Elizabeth Jane Legge ( 1871-1948), a native of the Parish of Gamrie, Banffshire. They had four daughters, three of whom lived to maturity and married; Isabella Legge Moir ( 1903-1969) who married John Rae. I believe this couple had at least one child, a son Alistair. The second daughter was Jean Watt Moir ( 1904-1987), who married Hector Innes and Jean ( Moir) Innes's sister Elizabeth Moir ( 1906-1980), who married Sylvester D F Buchan.

Any contacts would be greatly appreciated. I am working on a pictorial history of Alexander and his 11 siblings and am hoping to include several visuals of people in his branch.

Thanks.

Robert D. Watt

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 6 Jul 2013 08:24

Hello Robert, welcome to the boards.

Have you used "Search All Trees" from the menu above to see if anyone else is researching the family? You've got a better chance of a response that way rather than someone stumbling across your post.

Good luck!

patchem

patchem Report 6 Jul 2013 08:25

Welcome to the boards, Robert.

If you are looking for descendants then have you looked to see if anyone on here has your family in their tree?

You need to go out and find them, not wait and hope they will come across your post.

Good luck.

Added:
Have you put Alexander in your tree, to help other people contact you?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Jul 2013 09:27

A GR member named Sylvester has probable Buchan entries in his GR tree.............send him a contact message

As far as I can see, you do not have any of these names in a tree on GR.

If you hope for people to contact you............put your tree on the site......if not all of it, at least the parts of it you are asking about

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 7 Jul 2013 15:36

As Robert is a new poster, I will send him a friendly message on how to return to his thread. :-)

Robert

Robert Report 11 Jul 2013 06:27

Hello All.

Appreciate very much these messages and this advice. Have tried to cover all the points and look forward to further replies, mindful that patience is essential.

regards,

Robert

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 11 Jul 2013 09:23

Hello Robert, pleased to see you found your way back. :-D

Have you checked under the Search all Members Trees facility above? Quite a few folk with your names in their trees.....good luck..

Robert

Robert Report 11 Jul 2013 15:03

Good morning Cynthia.

Thanks for your two last messages. I am still working on this and in particular checking to see why the Moir/Legge info I put in my tree on ancestry does not seem to be linked to me somehow. Also, I have put Sylvester Buchan into the Public Tree part of queries and see some entries for Sylvester under British phone books but nothing under trees. You must be more expert than me, clearly and a long time veterans of queries and threads.
Sylvester Davidson Fairweather Buchan was born 21 Dec 1908 in St Combs Lonmay Parish, Aberdeeenshire, the son of Peter Buchan a general merchant and Margaret Ann West.
Do appreciate hearing from you. Thanks again.

Robert :-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 11 Jul 2013 19:06

Hi Robert.

When we are talking about searching trees, we are not talking about the Ancestry site, we are talking about your tree on THIS site - Genes Reunited. I have a feeling you may be confusing the 2 sites.

Never mind, we will get there!

Now, about searching trees on THIS site.

Just scroll to the top of this page and click on the word Search which has the little magnifying glass by the side of it.

You will then see an oblong box and, towards the bottom of that box, you will see the words 'Search All Member Trees'.

Click on those words, and you will then see another box where you can fill in names and dates.

Simply type Sylvester Buchan into the correct spaces (no need to add date of birth in this case) and click Search.

Up will pop a list of members who have a Sylvester Buchan in their tree. There are 6 of them and one, himself called Sylvester Buchan, has the chap you are looking for I think.

To the right of that list, click on the button marked Find out more, and send a message to that member. I would advise you to delete the 'Please may I view your tree' message and send a personal message.

I do hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to say if you are stuck. :-)

Robert

Robert Report 12 Jul 2013 05:15

Cynthia.

Thanks so much for your latest advice and guidance. I feel like an idiot but of course Genes and ancestry are different, and among other things I discovered that I had not completed the Moir line as far as Alexander, on my Genes tree. Done thatnow and a personal message sent to Sylvester Buchan, so hopefully he will see this eventually.

Will let you know as soon as I hear from him.

Have also sent message to the two Alexander Moir contacts which came up when I put in Alexander Moir, born in Dunfermline in 1878. However far along I am now, is only thanks to your help.

Much appreciated!!

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 12 Jul 2013 09:06

You're very welcome Robert - we are here to help :-)

I do hope you get a response to your messages but, unfortunately, some folk put their tree on Genes Reunited and then lose interest and don't return. :-(
Hopefully, that won't be the case with your contacts..... :-D

Cx :-)

Robert

Robert Report 12 Jul 2013 14:59

Many thanks Cynthia. Hearings hoping!

Have a great day and weekend wherever you are, but wherever that is hope the sun is shining.

Regards,