Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John & Jane Edwards England or Australia?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jul 2013 06:56

I have come to a standstill on finding my relatives John & Jane Edwards. The verified information I have is a daughter Elizabeth Isabella Edwards, who got married in Melbourne Australia in 1858 aged 20 (?) born 1838. she gave her Mothers maiden name as Jane Martin. There is a marriage in 1821 at St Mary Le Strand, Westminster, Middlesex of John Edwards & Jane Martin, but not certain if this is them. The other clue is when Elizabeth died in New Zealand her Father was named as John Elliot Edwards, occupation Goldsmith. I feel they may have travelled to Australia in the 1850's ??? Please help

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Jul 2013 07:08

Have you tried Family Search to see if there's any marriages for them

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jul 2013 07:33

I have tried Family Search with no luck, the main problem is their names are so common. Thanks

Gins

Gins Report 12 Jul 2013 07:42

A sister?

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906

Name:Charlotte Edwards
Baptism Date:
16 Sep 1832

Father's Name:
John Edwards <<<<<Goldsmith

Mother's Name:
Jane Edwards

Parish or Poor Law Union:
Holborn St Giles in the Fields

Borough:Camden
Register Type:Parish Registers

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jul 2013 08:36

Hmmm. Thats a possibility, does it gives Fathers occupation as Goldsmith?
Thanks

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Jul 2013 08:56

Long Lost Relatives. Australian Town and Country Journal (NSW : 1870 - 1907) Saturday 18 October 1890 p 21 Article

(above Newspaper item, sister Julia looking for her)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

Chris :)

Name: Elizabeth Isabel Edwards
Spouse Name: Henry Mccowen
Marriage Place: Victoria
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration Year: 1858
Registration number: 236

Unknown

Unknown Report 12 Jul 2013 10:13

Thanks!!! Goosebumps, I now have a date that she went to Australia.

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jul 2013 03:57

I have found what I believe to be the shipping record, she must have travelled to Australia with her Uncle? James Edwards & his family on the Priam arriving Melbourne Aug 1852. They give their nationality as English/Welsh, still no luck finding them in census records.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 13 Jul 2013 08:42

Couldn't see a Baptism for her...

Chris :)

Family Notices The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957) Wednesday 14 January 1863 p 4 Family Notices

(above, death of their son, aged 8)

Unknown

Unknown Report 13 Jul 2013 10:42

Yes thanks thats interesting. I have most of her story from Melbourne going forward, they came to NZ in 1864 & I have good records here (In NZ) I have been looking all day & now think that the Elizabeth Edwards that travelled on the Priam with James & Elizabeth Edwards is actually their daughter, not my Elizabeth so back to shiping lists around 1852. Also going to try & trace via sister Julia back in England. The Baptism for Charlotte (see above) looks good, then there is a record for Julia Sept 14 1837 & Fathers occupation looks like "The workhouse" so they must have fallen on hard times & maybe Elizabeth wasnt baptised.