Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

W W BURT AND SONS GREENGROCERS FAREHAM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mick

mick Report 28 Jul 2013 15:57

Any help in tracing members of this family, father believed to be a William, had a Greengrocers shop on Abbeyfield Drive in Fareham Hampshire, in the mid 1960s to mid 1970s.

Thank You in advance.

Mick

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 28 Jul 2013 16:06

Hi Mick and welcome to the boards.

Do you have any names and dates of when and where any of these people were born?

Edit: Perhaps the "Daily Echo"........Fareham's local newspaper has a "Trying to find" column and you might be able to find info that way.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jul 2013 16:47

You have a positive reply on one of your other posts on another site

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/Discussion/1412571

mick

mick Report 28 Jul 2013 19:39

Hi PricklyHolly,

Thanks for the reply, no dates or birth places, father since discovered was Bob Burt, sons Michael and Edward and daughter Marilyn.

Mick

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Jul 2013 19:45

What connects you to them?

What steps have you taken yourself to try to find them?

mick

mick Report 29 Jul 2013 04:31

Hi Reggie,

I have no connection with this family. I am trying to build a family tree for a friend. Who comes from this family. I was given just the original name of William as the father with the childrens names, as far as can be remembered. I have tried tying in the childrens names to a common mothers maiden name, but non match.. I have since discovered that the fathers name may not be William but Bob.

Mick

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Jul 2013 09:01

So your friend is related to them......how?

Your friend must know which of them he/she 'comes from'

In which year was your friend born?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Jul 2013 09:45

Does your friend have his full BC? If not, he should get it - it will give the names of both parents, including that of his mother even if she was 'known as' Mrs Burt.

It's remotely possible that he and/or his siblings were adopted or had a different father.
If his mother had been previously married, he may be double entered -one under her previous husband's name and one under the Burt surname. The maiden name should be the same. If she wasn't married, then both maiden and surname would be the same. It would depend if the father acknowledged paternity - again a double entry

It may not help people remember the family, but at least you'll have a better chance of tracking the people.

You could ask the nearest main library for an ER look up. That will show the names of the eligible voters aged 21 or over. If they didn't live over the shop, then use the address of the family home which your friend ought to remember.