Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rose Charlton nee Goodman (1925)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 20 Aug 2013 23:00

I'm trying to solve a mystery about my late mother Rose Charlton nee Goodman.Her parents were William and Charlotte Goodman (nee Jaundrell).She always told us she had 2 brothers,one of whom was a twin.However,there are no records of either of these,but there seems to have been at least 2 sisters,Violet (1905)and Elizabeth (1909),although she never mentioned them.In 1911 the family lived in Wolverhampton,but my mother was born in 1925 in West Bromwich.When she married my father Sydney Charlton in 1947,she was living at the home of her "aunt" Winifred Oxford,which was The Poplars in Polstead Heath.It seems that nothing she told us about her family and early life was accurate.We have never seen any photos of any of her family except for 2 nieces,but don't know who they belonged to.Can anyone help at all?I have been trying for a long time to find out anything at all about her background so any information would be much appreciated

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 20 Aug 2013 23:17

Hello Maureen, welcome to the boards. Do you have a copy of your mother's birth certificate? If not, it may be interesting to order a copy just to see what's on it.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Aug 2013 23:18

Not sure what you're hoping for..........

For INFO only

Marriages Jun 1903 (>99%)

Goodman William W. Bromwich 6b 1510
Joundriell Charlotte W. Bromwich 6b 1510

1911 census

Person: GOODMAN, Charlot Address: 14 Piper's Row Wolverhampton

GOODMAN, William Head Married M 34 1877 Tube Drawer Birmingham VIEW
GOODMAN, Charlot Wife Married8 years F 31 1880 Hawker General Tipton VIEW
GOODMAN, Voilet Daughter F 6 1905 Wednesbury VIEW
GOODMAN, Elizabeth Daughter F 2 1909 West Bromwich VIEW
PETERS, Amy Boarder Single F 29 1882 Hawker General Wallhook Cosly VIEW
PETERS, Mary Jane Daughter F 3 1908 Wallhook Cosly

4 children born in marriage.....................1 has died

Maureen

Maureen Report 20 Aug 2013 23:43

Thanks for your replies.I have the birth certificate and the census information,but I can't help but wonder if maybe her sister was actually her mother,or perhaps she was fostered or for some other reason placed with a family where there was a boy her age who she was told was her twin.She said he was "naughty and got sent away" and always said she grew up in the country on a smallholding,and that she would pass the famous Red Barn on her way to school.It's all a complete mystery and nothing seems to check out at all.Her mother came from a large family and maybe she lived with some of them.It's all driving me mad because I just have no idea where to go from here.Did she herself believe what she told us? After she married and moved to the north east I don't ever remember her having any contact with anyone from her family except her aunt who was still living at The Poplars for many years.I don't even know when either of her parents died although I know William was dead by the time she married.
Anyway,thanks so much for trying to help

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Aug 2013 23:54

You should be able to find the deaths of the parents on freebmd

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 21 Aug 2013 01:54

If her parents were William & Charlotte then her mother would have been 45 when she was born. Not impossible but...

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Aug 2013 10:54

Caught on the 'change'?

Maureen

Maureen Report 21 Aug 2013 10:57

Yes I think it sounds a bit unlikely as well.But if she was the mother,and there had already been 4 children born by 1911,then it seems pretty likely there would have been others.It's just so frustrating because everything I ever knew about her seems to be wrong.I'm just hoping that one of these days a relative who knows something might get in touch