Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wilkie Family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mort

Mort Report 20 Aug 2013 23:37

HI,

I wondered if anybody had any fresh ideas on researching my husbands family Wilkie.

My father in law lost touch with all of his family in the 60's and this is all the information i have on the my husbands grandfather which to be honest is not a lot.

Alexander Wilkie married Jane page Drysdale (i have the Drysdale family tree) in 1939 in Cardenden, Auchterderran fife Scotland, and i am only aware that they had one son. I am led to believe that there is a daughter to either Alexander or Jane before they married.

Jane married a Thomas Swift before Alexander but i have no idea, where or when and when i search in Scotland people i cant find a marriage for Drysdale/swift. Jane passed away in Clackmannanshire in 1991 and was born 1920 Lumphinnans Fife. I know the family also spent some time in South Wales in the 50's before travelling back to Scotland in the 60's.

Would just really like to find some more information on Alexander and wondered if anybody had any fresh idea's.

Kind Regards
Heidi

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Aug 2013 23:45

Who registered Jane's death?

What surname did she use when she married Wilkie?

As she was born in 1920, she would scarcely have had time to have had a previous marriage.

Alexander's parents should be named on the 1939 marriage cert................which will also enlighten you as to his declared age

Mort

Mort Report 21 Aug 2013 00:45

Hi Reggie, I have no idea who registered Jane's death, I thought the same regarding a first marriage too, but on the registration for her death certificate, she is listed as Wilkie, Swift, Drysdale, the family believed she was married to a Thomas swift, so I have more questions than answers really. She married Alex as Jane page Drysdale, and I wouldn't have looked for a Swift marriage if not for the family and the death registry. I think your right I will apply for the marriage certificate and hope this points me in the right direction, thanks for the help though and the ideas. Heidi x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Aug 2013 09:49

She could have had a child with Swift without being married to him, which may explain the rumour about a daughter.

Had she been married to him, she should have married Wilkie using the name Swift, and there should be a death record for Swift, as divorce didn't happen overnight in those days.

Mort

Mort Report 21 Aug 2013 15:22

Hi Reggie, I know your completely right there, think I will look into a birth for a swift and see if anything comes up. Thanks again for your ideas xxx kind regards Heidi

Mort

Mort Report 27 Aug 2013 16:27

I have today had a phone call from clackmananshire council to confirm that Jane Wilkie was buried as Jane Swift and that her husband Thomas Swift buried her. So at least i have cleared the answer to that question. Also that i have cleared the question up in regards to a daughter. There was no daughter but another son who passed away at 3 months of age. At last i feel like i am starting to get answers to some of my questions