Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Reeth Union Workhouse, North Yorkshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamf46

Pamf46 Report 27 Aug 2013 16:12

My husband's great grandmother was in this workhouse from around 1891 and was even there on the 1901 and 1911 census age 53. After this she disappears. I have tried marriages and deaths and ordered a death certificate which was the wrong one. I believe this workhouse closed around 1930 and there were only several inmates remaining, but I cannot find any information after 1911 and whether or not she was one of the remaining few. North Yorkshire records don't seem to have any information. Any suggestions where I go from here would be very welcoming : :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Aug 2013 16:32

Hello Pamela - welcome to the boards

The last census was 1911 - whether anyone can find anything after that I'm not sure

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Aug 2013 17:44

It says on the workhouses site that virtually no records remain for this workhouse. The only things that North Yorkshire Record Office holds are the Guardian's Minutes from 1840 to 1856.

Do you want to give her name and birth date so someone else can see if they can find anything?

Kath. x

Pamf46

Pamf46 Report 27 Aug 2013 18:39

Her name was Mary Frankland, born 1858, Hurst, Marrick. She had my husband's grandfather while in the workhouse in 1895, John William. He is on the 1902 census aged 6.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Aug 2013 19:54

was Frankland her maiden or married name?

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 27 Aug 2013 20:04

1911 for reference
Name: Mary Frankland
Age in 1911: 53
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1858
Relation to Head: Inmate
Birth Place: Marrick, Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish: Reeth
County/Island: Yorkshire-North Riding
Marital Status: Single
Registration District: Reeth
Registration District Number: 541
Sub-registration District: Reeth

sadly it has lunatic written in the last column,

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 27 Aug 2013 20:13

Is that your tree on Ancestry with all the nice photos Pamela? I know the area well

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Aug 2013 21:56

Where it says "lunatic" in the last column is NOT against Mary Frankland's name. It is the person on the line above her.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Aug 2013 22:00

Which death certificate did you buy? Was it this one (which looks like a possibility):-

Name: FRANKLAND, Mary A
Registration district: Richmond (Yorkshire)
County: Yorkshire
Year of registration: 1941
Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at death: 82
Volume no: 9D
Page no: 1429

Kath. x

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 27 Aug 2013 22:15

Sorry Kathleen, it was the 1891 census which I was looking at and has the last column in with that against her name. The 1901 hasn't as you have pointed out.

I was just thinking to myself that sadly many young women were stigmatised in this way and ended up institutionalised. Who knows what happened to poor Mary

Pamf46

Pamf46 Report 30 Aug 2013 00:25

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner as I have been away visiting family for 2 days. Back to business! Yes, that is my tree on Ancestry, so pleased you liked the photos. Frankland was her maiden name and I did order the death certificate of the one you mentioned as it was the only one in the Reeth area, but it was incorrect. Mary's mother and father were Thomas and Jane and she was the youngest of six, sister Jane, and 4 brothers, John, Henry, Thomas and William Lamb Frankland.
My husband's aunt, granddaughter of Mary's son, told me that she had grandparents that her father and mother took her to visit near Reeth when she was a small child, but on checking it turned out that they were Elizabeth and Thomas White, Master and Matron of the Reeth workhouse, which surprised my aunt when I told her and she did not know that her father had been born in the workhouse. Her father, as I mentioned, was born in 1894 in the workhouse and was there until he was old enough to start working for a family called Barningham in Richmond, he is on the 1911 census living with this family. Don't you think it strange that she was in the workhouse so long or did this happen quite often?