Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Carles Hughes and Mary Mackie

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 21 Sep 2013 14:09

Hi guys, I'm struggling with this one. My Charles Hughes born c1807 Wigtown has married Mary Mackie in Penninghame Wigtown on the 7 Oct 1827. They are listed on the all the census records from 1841 -1881 where they are now living in South Leith Midlothian and in their 70s, but for the life of me I cannot find a death for them to confirm parents. Can anyone else see them, perhaps a fresh pair of eyes as mine are going..

:-\

jax

jax Report 21 Sep 2013 14:17

Are you looking for deaths on Scotlands people?

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 21 Sep 2013 14:42

Yes!! but there's no deaths found with Mary Hughes nee Mackie. I have tried varies spellings for Mackie, Mcky, Mackay but nothing..

:-(

jax

jax Report 21 Sep 2013 15:04

I don't use Scotlands people so have no idea how it works.

I would have thought the information on the death cert would only be as good as the informant knew?

If whoever registered it did not know her maiden name was Mackie, then it wouldn't be on there

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 21 Sep 2013 15:16

Yes! I agree, but you would have thought I might have found her husband Charles..
I will keep looking..

:-S :-S

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 21 Sep 2013 15:53

Have you looked for the baptism of Mary Mackie on SP?
There are two for a girl of this name baptised in Penninghame between 1800 and 1810.

A Scottish death cert. shows the name and occupation of spouse; time, date and place of death; name and ocupation of both parents (including mother's maiden name); cause of death; name and relationship of informant - so it's very informative.

greyghost

greyghost Report 21 Sep 2013 16:33

Earlier census show that they had children. Could they have moved in later life to be with or near one of them, perhaps even south of the border?? Or even abroad - not unknown even at that age. Do you KNOW they died in Scotland?
Without using credits on Scotlands People and you probably know this anyway - there are 4 Mary Hughes (b 1807 +/- 5 years) deaths in Scotland 1881-91, 6 up to 1901, none in Midlothian. There are no Charles Hughes at all using the same criteria.

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 22 Sep 2013 12:16

Yes! Stuart, I am inclined to agree that they may have migrated as I cant find any death for them here in Scotland. But I would have thought they may have been considered too old to travel. Mary Mackie (Mckie) parents were Charles Mckie and Ann Bole, Boal, Bold so many variants of this surname. I cant find a marriage for them either in Scotland and trying to work out if they perhaps married in Ireland and that's maybe where they originated from?? There were twins born 3 Jan 1806 and that was Mary Ann and Agnes Mckie, born in Penninghame Wigtown. Its very frustrating, not finding a death for Mary Ann Mckie (Hughes) to at least confirm I'm on the right track.. :-(

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 22 Sep 2013 14:53

Hi Guys, purchased the birth cert from SP and can confirm that Mary Ann and her twin Agnes were born 2 Jan 1806 Penninghame Wigtown to Charles Mckie and Ann Bold. Mary Ann married Charles Hughes in 1827 and had several children, one son Robert Murray Hughes death in 1915 confirms his parents to be Charles Hughes "farmer" and Mary Ann McKay (note the spelling of surname) but I still cant find Charles and Mary Ann deaths. On the 1881 census they are listed as aged 74 and 75 (unless this isn't them)??

:-S

jax

jax Report 22 Sep 2013 15:40

Did you pay for it?? From Family Search

Mary Ann Mckie, "Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950"

Name: Mary Ann Mckie
Christening Date: 03 Jan 1806
Christening Place: , PENNINGHAME, WIGTOWN, SCOTLAND
Birth Date: 02 Jan 1806
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Charles Mckie
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Ann Bold
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11895-2
System Origin: Scotland-VR
GS Film number: 1068040
Reference ID: 2:18GRVJ0

jax

jax Report 22 Sep 2013 15:47

Charles Hughes, "Scotland, Marriages, 1561-1910"

Name: Charles Hughes
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Spouse's Birth Date:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age:
Event Date: 07 Oct 1827
Event Place: Penninghame,Wigtown,Scotland
Father's Name:
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Name:
Race:
Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:
Spouse's Race:
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M11895-4
System Origin: Scotland-ODM
GS Film number: 1068040
Reference ID:

Are you sure it is the same person?

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 22 Sep 2013 16:29

Yes!!! On her son Robert Murray's death it says her name as Mary Ann McKay, so different spelling again. I purchased the birth for Mary Ann and Agnes (twins) and the death for Robert. Will it tell me anything more on the original marriage cert? other than what you have ? :-0

jax

jax Report 22 Sep 2013 16:38

Civil Registration did not start in Scotland until 1855 so it was only the baptisms you have

Not sure whether the marriage which I would imagine is taken from the parish register would be any different as English ones did not have the fathers names on until 1837 when civil registration began here

But I admit I am not up on scottish records

jax

jax Report 22 Sep 2013 16:44

So this is Roberts baptism

Robert Murray Hughes, "Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950"

Name: Robert Murray Hughes
Christening Date:
Christening Place: , KIRKCOWAN, WIGTOWN, SCOTLAND
Birth Date: 10 Feb 1834
Birthplace: , Kirkcowan, Wigtown, Scotland
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Charles Hughes
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Mary Mckie
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11888-2
System Origin: Scotland-VR
GS Film number: 1068037
Reference ID: - 2:18FXPCN

I was just wondering why her middle name was not used after her baptism

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 22 Sep 2013 17:03

You mean her middle name of "Ann" too long winded I would suspect...
The marriage didn't say anything different, except her maiden name on the marriage says "Mackie" my brain is freezing up.

:-S

jax

jax Report 22 Sep 2013 17:13

I would say that most of my Mary Ann's have used the middle name somewhere (not on everything)...chidrens baptisms, marriage, census's....but it does not seem to be mentioned at all apart from her own baptism...which is why I wondered whether there was more than one Mary Mackie/Mckie

Not that it helps to find her death of course

jax

jax Report 22 Sep 2013 17:23

Just a thought...Have you managed to trace Agnes after birth? I know it didn't always happen but twins didn't always survive and as these two were baptised the day after they were born, were they poorly?

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 24 Sep 2013 14:18

Hi Jax,

No!! I haven't been able to trace Agnes after birth.

I'm still going through all the children to see if the parents are living with them after 1881. But so far nothing.. Their daughter Margaret died in 1889 and father Charles is listed as dec by this time. By the time of son Robert Murry Hughes death in 1915 Mary is also dec... They are definitely on the 1881 census living in Edinburgh.. :-S :-

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 24 Sep 2013 14:18

Hi Jax,

No!! I haven't been able to trace Agnes after birth.

I'm still going through all the children to see if the parents are living with them after 1881. But so far nothing.. Their daughter Margaret died in 1889 and father Charles is listed as dec by this time. By the time of son Robert Murry Hughes death in 1915 Mary is also dec... They are definitely on the 1881 census living in Edinburgh.. :-S :-

Potty

Potty Report 24 Sep 2013 14:55

Have you got the image from Scotlandspeople for the marriage? Sometimes the addresses of the couple are shown.

I too wonder if you have got the right Mary. Three of the children have middle names:

Helen Douglas Hughes
Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

christening: 25 May 1837 , GLASSERTON, WIGTOWN, SCOTLAND
residence: Glasserton, Wigtownshire, Scotland
father:Charles Hughes

Charles Hughes:Father

spouse:Mary Mckie
child:Robert Murray Hughe

Charles Hughs
Father

spouse:Mary Mckie
child:Isabella Mccredie Hughs

Given the Scottish habit of giving maiden names as middle names could one of those middle names be Mary's mother's maiden name?