Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

White / Maslen.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marie

Marie Report 6 Jan 2014 00:20

Searching for information on the family of Martha Nelson White, children Ada Lewis Cairns Maslen nee White, George Nelson White and Ernest William White from Melbourne Australia in early 1900s, their father Thomas Henry White's second marriage. I cannot find what happened to Thomas Henry or when he died. Perhaps someone has information that I cannot find.

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 Jan 2014 00:30

Did Martha and father Thomas originate from Australia ?
If so you would probably be best including the location in your title

Marie

Marie Report 6 Jan 2014 03:19

I think both were born in Australia, Thomas Henry White was apparently born in Hobart Town Tasmania, his parents down as Alexander White and Mary Smith, this on both marriage certificates, he came to Victoria and married Louisa Linacre, she died young and with two young children he then remarried in 1887 in Victoria to Martha, I expect she was also from Victoria although his 1st wife was born in South Australia.

Gee

Gee Report 6 Jan 2014 07:13

It being such a common name................when was he born?

Have you got the death certificate for his second wife to check if she is a widow or wife of Thomas

Australia Death Index, 1787-1985

Name:Martha Nelson White

Death Place:Richmond, Victoria

Father's Name:Wm Sawyer

Mother's Name:Unknown Margt

Registration Year:1933

Registration Place:Victoria

Registration number:7047

Estimated Birth Year:abt 1856

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 6 Jan 2014 07:56

Hello Marie, when you say "Searching for information on the family of Martha Nelson White" - do you mean her family - parents, siblings, etc?

Australia Marriage Index, 1788-1950

Name: Thomas Henery White
Spouse Name: Martha Nelson Sawyer
Marriage Place: Victoria
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration Year: 1887
Registration number: 7543

Gee

Gee Report 6 Jan 2014 07:58

Family NoticesThe Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957) Friday 19 March 1954
p 17 Family Notices...n God's care. MASLEN, Ada Lewis Cairns, of 190 Gladstone street, South Mel- Mel bourne. ... Crematorium. R. B. PENN, Coburg. FL1475. MASLEN. - The Funeral of the late Mrs. ADA LEWIS CAIRNS MASLEN ... ly interred.) WITTS, Aileen Frances, of Cur- lewis street, Mont Albert. - On March 17 ...

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=Ada+Lewis+Cairns+Maslen

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 6 Jan 2014 08:04

Martha Nelson White is on electoral rolls from 1914 to 1931 with various sons - no mention of Thomas Henry on any of them.

Marie - what was his occupation?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 6 Jan 2014 08:06

Looks like Martha Nelson was from Victoria:

Australia Birth Index, 1788-1922
Name: Martha Nelson Sawyer
Father's Name: William Sawyer
Mother's Name: Mary Cairies
Birth Place: Collingwood, Victoria
Registration Year: 1855
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration number: 9180

You've mentioned Thomas Henry was born Hobart but not when ......

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 6 Jan 2014 08:56

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1315108

(is above relating)

Chris :)

Marie

Marie Report 7 Jan 2014 05:02

His occupation was labourer at Lake Cooper in Victoria and later a miner, I have been given information now that his son George married a widow Josephine Harper in about 1918, he also was a labourer. Martha and son George are buried together but no mention of where Thomas Henry is buried.Martha died 1933 and George died in 1969 and is buried with Martha. Ernest William died in 1965 with father unknown so I presume that Thomas Henery White had not been around for many years. I now know that Ada was cremated in 1954 and was married to Robert Maslen, had two daughters and a son. Thank you so much for you help, it is very much appreciated, I will continue to try to track down my elusive ancestors.

Gee

Gee Report 7 Jan 2014 10:09

Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1981

Name:Josephine Agnes White & George Nelson White

Electoral Year:1924

State:Victoria

District:Melbourne

Subdistrict:Melbourne North

According to a tree at Ancestry, George married this woman

Birth: 1891
Marriage: 20 December 1918 (20 Dec 1918) - Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Death: 1969 - Victoria
Spouse: Josephine Agnes Palmer<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Her first marriage is where you have the name Harper from

Name:Josephine Agnes Palmer

Father's Name:Edward Palmer

Spouse Name:David Sutherland Harper

Spouse's Father's Name:Donald Harper

Marriage Date:10 Dec 1902

Marriage Place:Res Of Mr Harper Queenstown

Registration Place:Port Adelaide, South Australia

Page Number:894

Volume Number:213

Looks like her first husband died in WW1

HARPER, DAVID SUTHERLAND
Rank:Lance CorporalService No:6366Date of Death:10/06/1918Regiment/Service:Australian Infantry, A.I.F. 27th Bn. Panel Reference MemorialVILLERS-BRETONNEUX MEMORIAL

Name:Josephine Agnes Harper

Marriage Place:South Australia

Registration Place:South Australia

Registration Year:1917-1920

Page Number:666

Volume Number:277

Name:George Nelson White

Marriage Place:South Australia

Registration Place:South Australia

Registration Year:1917-1927

Page Number:666

Volume Number:277

So Thomas was dead by 1918

WHITE—HARPER. —On the 20th December, 1918, at Adelaide, George N., eldest son of Mrs. M. and the late Thomas H. White, of Ascot Vale, Vic- toria, to Josephine Agnes, widow of the late Lancc-Corporal D. S. Harper, 13, Newmarket street, Adelaide. Melbourne papers please copy.
DIED ON ACTIVE SERVICE.

Marie

Marie Report 7 Jan 2014 22:58

Thank you Gins, sadly Josephines 1st husband was killed in WW1 in June 1918. I found they had 4 daughters and a son, George Nelson White married her in Dec 1918, he was at least 6 or 7 years younger than her, I cannot find any offspring of George and Josephine. I see that in 1918 Thomas Henry is listed as the late husband of Martha. Also note that South Australia is mentioned again, Perhaps I have been searching in the wrong state of Australia.

Olwen

Olwen Report 9 Mar 2014 06:03

re Martha Sawyer & Thomas Henry White
Martha was my husbands Gt Gt Aunt

I, too, have no idea when thomas H White died but would appreciate any info. I have their wedding cert plus MArtha's death cert & know that both of them were in Ascot Vale in 1903 electoral roll It would be likely but never definite that they could have remained in inner Melbourne between 1903 & 1918 mainly because of cost Thomas would have been around 69 at this time
We live fairly close to Lake Cooper & will try local records
Olwen