Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marshall in Sussex - Help Required

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Benjy_Bumble

Benjy_Bumble Report 7 Feb 2014 21:49

Hi,

I have come to an impasse with the eldest Marshall on my wife's family, his name was Henry Marshall marrying Maria Bellchambers (marriage unknown as likely to be in Ireland due to first child being born there).

Henry was born c1843 in differing locations depending upon Census returns, however all are in the same vicinity and I need some help finding either a Death Record or finding him on the 1911 Census, when you read on, you'd think it would be easy due to unusual names, but trust me it's not... :-S

Ancestry shows 1881, 1891 & 1901 Census returns for Henry and Maria Marshall, all children from start to finish I have are:

Henry John Marshall - 1875 - Athlone, Ireland
Maria Ettie Marshall - 1878 - Notting Hill, London
William Marshall - 1882 - Hammersmith, London
Rose Marshall - 1884 - Windsor, Berkshire
James Noel Marshall - 1887 - Windsor, Berkshire
Elizabeth Matilda Marshall - 1888 - Windsor, Berkshire
Edward George Marshall - 1891 - Windsor, Berkshire (wife's link)
Mary Ann Marshall - 1895 - Windsor, Berkshire
Moorelvin Marshall - 1898 - Windsor, Berkshire

On Army Military Records for Edward George Marshall in 1908 enlisting before WW1, it shows next of kin & addresses as Henry Marshall - Father - 15 Lickfold, Nr Petersfield, Hants, looking on Google Maps, there is a Lickfold on the border of Sussex, near Petersfield, however there is a line through his name with initials of CB next to them, it also shows a Bertha & Moorelvin at that address but I can't find it on the 1911 Census anywhere, it then shows addresses of his sister Hettie Elliott (nee Marshall) in Wycombe, Buckinghamshire & William & James his brothers in the Royal Navy.

On the 1881 Census it says Henry Marshall born in Sackworth, Sussex (no place seems to exist), then 1891 shows Chichester then 1901 shows Graffham, Sussex. Like I said I can't find a marriage, death or 1911 Census return for Henry (Maria his wife died in 1903, he may have died before 1911 but I can't confirm). I started searching for a 13 year old Moorelvin Marshall in 1911 but I can't find him either. Can anyone help me with a marriage, death or 1911 Census return for Henry Marshall or even jusa 1911 Census return for Moorelvin Marshall?

Much appreciated,

Ben. :-)

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 7 Feb 2014 22:04

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1236662

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Aug 2010 12:28

Well persistance pays off!!!!!

MARSHALL, Henry Lodger Widower M 81 1830 Hawker General Chichester Sussex VIEW >>>>>
MARSHALL, Morralvin Lodger Single M 15 1896 Hawker General Chichester Sussex VIEW

Chris :)

edits (others relating)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/trying_to_find/belchamber/thread/1243416

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1236522

Benjy_Bumble

Benjy_Bumble Report 7 Feb 2014 22:08

Ahh fantastic, thank you for that, at least I know he died after 1911 and I can focus on

Thanks for getting that information

Ben.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 7 Feb 2014 22:10

(click on the link Ben, it was your past query!)

Chris :)

Mike *

Mike * Report 7 Feb 2014 22:20

So, the info was given 4 years ago on your original thread. !

What a shame you didn't pick it up.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 7 Feb 2014 22:25

Marriages Mar 1920
Marshall Moorelvin Haskins Eton 3a 1623

Married Elsie M E Haskins

Roy

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 7 Feb 2014 22:54

Burial

Title:Forename:Moorelvin
Surname:Marshall
Day Buried: 2
Month Buried February
Year Buried:1943
Church Name:Henley Road (Caversham)Place Name:Reading
County:Berkshire
Address:Slough, 3 Carrington RdAddress County:Status:MarriedRelationship:Relation:Source:Other Details:Died 27 janRecord source:Berkshire Burials Data provider:Berkshire Family History Society Transcriptions © Berkshire Family History Society