Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ernest Dudmesh Raley "Anthony" b1898 d 1965

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clive

Clive Report 20 Mar 2014 08:45

Why and how are there two similar death entries for him ?
Vol 6B Page 984
Apr May Jun quarter 1965

Raley Anthony E D Oxford
and directly underneath
Raley Ernest D Oxford

I know from 1901 and 1911 census he is Ernest Dudmesh Raley but was known as Anthony for some reason. I have his wife Georgina Beatrice Counsell b1902 and his two children Ann Patricia Raley b 1925 Singapore BS and Jean Raley 1929 Jersey. I believe he left the family at an early stage 1930 ish ?? after which there was no contact or history. Jean was brought up by her Grandmother Evelyn Counsell.
Who would have registered his death, could it have been registered twice?

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Mar 2014 09:22

The double entry is because the person who registered the death did so using the variants of his name.

The Vol and Page no's are the same..........

To find out who the informant was........buy a copy of the cert

Clive

Clive Report 20 Mar 2014 10:43

Thank you Reggie for that reassuring explanation.
Clive

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 20 Mar 2014 14:51

Ernest Dudmesh Raley otherwise Anthony Ernst Dudmesh of 17 Northmoor Road Oxford died 1st. May 1965. Probate Oxford 3rd. June Oxford to Mildred Frances Mary West spinster. £864.

mgnv

mgnv Report 22 Mar 2014 18:27

From 1911q3 on, the sheet the local registrars copied their B/D entries onto for the GRO had 5 entries per page. So nearly all the Oxford pages for 1965q2 will have 5 entries per page. I think Oxford RD had 2 1965 Sub districts : Oxford, and Radcliffe. Most likely neither had a multiple of 5 deaths in the quarter, so I would expect the last page from each subdistrict to have less than 5 entries. If I click on the page # in your FreeBMD hit, I see there are 6 entries in the index pointing to the 5 entries on p 984. Evidently, there are 2 index entries pointing to the same certificate.

Here's an example from my tree:

Marriages Sep 1903 (>99%)
BENSON Fred Wigan 8c 243
BENSON Frederick Wigan 8c 243
Slevin Margaret Wigan 8c 243

Obviously, a page should contain the same number of brides and grooms.
When you look at the m.cert, the item in the names col (col 2) is Frederick Benson. However, the m.cert is signed by Fred Benson. Clearly, the guy is known by both variants, so to enable his m.cert to be located, the index should give the 2 variants.

Clive

Clive Report 22 Mar 2014 21:21

Thanks, it all seems logical now. Clive