Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspaper article

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shani

Shani Report 8 Apr 2014 16:14

I have a clip of a newspaper article and would like help on how I go about finding court records etc for the William Miller in the article (my late grandfather). His birth name is actually William John Wirthmiller. I would ultimately like a copy of the newspaper and to find the details about his conviction... can anyone help please???

Shani

Shani Report 8 Apr 2014 16:29

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/searchbna/viewrecord/bl/0000563/19381122/115/0006

Dea

Dea Report 8 Apr 2014 17:25

Shani - we can't see anything from that link, only an option to purchase credits for GR.

Can you give us some more details of what you have found please and we can see if we can help.

Dea Xxx

Ru

Ru Report 8 Apr 2014 17:50

The Newspaper Article confirms the conviction.

The British Library Board has the article.

I will pm details to you Shani.

Sappho

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 8 Apr 2014 22:39

If we have the name and date then the criminal records on various sites other than this could be checked .....

EDIT: Having seen the article, it could be too recent for those records.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Apr 2014 22:44

For SOME idea of time-scale

Births Jun 1913 (>99%)
Wirthmiller William J Ames Elham 2a 2226

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 9 Apr 2014 07:48

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_q=wirthmiller

(Applications for Naturalisation, another)

Chris :)

Ru

Ru Report 9 Apr 2014 08:22

Hi folks,

I have pm Shani and asked her to comment on my findings on the thread. I will prompt her to do this as I think it may well help with member searching.

Sappho

Shani

Shani Report 9 Apr 2014 11:08

Hello All

Many thanks for your information, I will put a copy up on here in a sec (i'm at work hehe)
Sorry I didn't back to you straight away yesterday, I was up till the early hours emptying my kitchen for the fitters today, only to find out this morning they have cancelled!!!!!! Not happy x

Shani

Shani Report 9 Apr 2014 11:10

Sappho kindly sent me the article;

Johanne Wirthmiller, 60 year old Folkstone Boarding House proprietor and father of William John Miller, the Mayfair man was sentence at Derby Assizes last Thursday to 18 months imprisonment, but did not know of the sentence when he gassed himself.

This was stated by the daughter of the man at the inquest at Folkestone where the verdict of suicide by gassing whilst the balance of his mind was disturbed was returned.

The daughter, Mrs Eleanor M Robinson, Clifton Crescent, Folkestone said that whilst her fther was known as John Wirthmiller, he was of German Nationality and had been naturlised.

Her father's and mother's business had been very bad lately and he had been very worried about the recent crisis and being a higly strung man, took """"""worse than a normal person.

Witness said I want to state emphatically that what my brother has done has nothing whatsoever with my father's death. Unfortunately my brother has learned where he is that he is the cause of it and he is very much upset about it.

Mrs. Robinson added that the previous weekend her father had threatened to take his life, saying he felt he could go on no longer.

Shani the article is headed thus:

MAYFAIR MAN'S FATHER GASSED HIMSELF
DID NOT KNOW OF SENTENCE OF SON.