Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Court 1791-1861 married to Alice

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 15 Apr 2014 15:35

John Court was a builder, living in Sheerness, Isle of Sheppey, but born in Faversham. Information passed down the family line suggests that he came from a line of Hugenots and that the name "Court" was derived from a French name, maybe "de Courcy" or something similar. I have been able to find a couple of earlier ancestors, though am not sure of these: namely John 1767-c1834 (a twin), married to Elizabeth and, before him, Daniel b1740 and married to Mary.

How can I find if the Huguenot rumour is true and get back to the earlier ancestors to get some kind of history? Any further information about John 1791-1861 would also be helpful, as I believe he moved to the Isle of Sheppey to help with the building development there and may have been involved in building the first bridge across from the mainland.