Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Windermere

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 19 Apr 2014 08:42

Hi Everyone, I am trying to find out who lived in a house in Windermere but can't find the address in the 1911 census and can't find Windermere in the 1901 were there several names for the township in the pat ? Thanks Jean

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Apr 2014 08:46

as far as I am aware there's only one Windermere - in the Lake District

Do you have a surname?

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 19 Apr 2014 08:59

All 1911 England Census Summary Books results for Windermere Westmorland (Ancestry)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1339603

You can access the Ancestry.co.uk at no charge this weekend at.......

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/uk/startyourstory

(could be useful)

Chris :)

Jean

Jean Report 19 Apr 2014 10:26

Hi Thanks for that. I don't have a name because I am trying to find out who lived in a particular house in Windermere. I've done this before by scrolling through a census record. It seems that in 1911 half of what is now Widermere was known as Bowness. so I'm currently scrolling through that and checking on google maps how far away I am. If anyone knows where I should look in 1901 that would be useful as I can't seem to find Windermere in 1901. On the old search on Ancestry I used to put in a common name ie Smith born in Windermere and it would usually bring up a record but new search brings up reams of smiths born absolutely anywhere.

Thanks Jean

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Apr 2014 10:44

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windermere,_Cumbria

"Windermere town was known as Birthwaite prior to the arrival of the Kendal and Windermere Railway, which stimulated its development.."

"Although the town Windermere does not touch the lake (it took the name of the lake when the railway line was built in 1847 and the station was called "Windermere"), it has now grown together with the older lakeside town of Bowness-on-Windermere, though the two retain distinguishable town centres. "

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Apr 2014 10:44

In 1901 search in Windermere, Westmorland.
In 1911, search Bowness-On-Windermere, Westmorland.

If you like to tell us the house name / address, perhaps we can help.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Apr 2014 10:52

EDIT: Removed link - doesn't work.

But if you just enter Windermere, Westmorland in the "Lived in" box, it'll show you everyone living there in 1901.
No need to enter any other details.

Jean

Jean Report 19 Apr 2014 11:59

Hi Argyllgran
Its now 14 Queens drive and I have found Queens Drive in the 1911 census but the houses/cottages have no numbers only names . The property was built in 1860 so I was trying to check all the records from then. Thanks jean

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Apr 2014 12:02

Can you say what your interest is in the address...........we could then perhaps give better advice

Jean

Jean Report 19 Apr 2014 13:15

A friend lives there now.

Jean

Jean

Jean Report 19 Apr 2014 13:16

And no he doesn't have a copy of the deeds

Thanks

Jean

Jean

Jean Report 19 Apr 2014 15:08

I have pretty much narrowed it down to the house Richard Holmes a joiner and boat builder lived in in 1891,1901 and 1911. in 1891 it's listed as the civil parish of Undermilbeck in Bowness no mention of Windermere.

Thanks everyone.

Jean

wisechild

wisechild Report 19 Apr 2014 17:17

Try the land registry.
Not sure if it will be South Lakeland District Council in Kendal or Cumbria County Council.