Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Illingworth (Percy) in Bradford area

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 20 Jul 2014 02:34

Hello fellow Gene members,

I am researching the Illingworth side of my tree now and need a bit of help.
Of course there are lots of things I need/would like to know, but this time I would like specific help about a company name/history.

My grandfather was Percy Illingworth (born 1922).
He married Lilian Gott and had four children, Brian, Albert, Carol and Barbara.
According to his migration documents he was self-employed with his business being 'firewood and joinery' in 1953. This maybe the year business started? He migrated to Australia 1968. Before migrating Brian worked in the business building fences.

I have tried googling but can't seem to find anything at the moment. There are other Illingworth businesses but seem unrelated to my side of the family. I am not sure where I should be looking to confirm this detail or to get further information - Can anyone help?

Just on another note: In 1948 he worked for a place called Cawley Wyke which was a Winding Shed. Is there any detail available on them? once again I tried Google with out much success at the moment.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Emma

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Jul 2014 06:12

It's a bit unclear who you are looking at ?

Is it Percy or Brian ?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Jul 2014 06:16

Name: Percy Illingworth
Mother's Maiden Surname: Modley
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1922
Registration district: North Bierley
Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
Volume Number: 9b
Page Number: 75

Name: Percy Illingworth
Spouse Surname: Gott
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1948
Registration district: Bradford
Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
Volume Number: 2b
Page Number: 345
Find Spouse: Lilian Gott

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Jul 2014 06:21

Wyke is a town near Bradford.

Rose

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Jul 2014 06:22

If Percy was self employed then he didn't necessarily have his own business but worked on a daily basis for others but wasn't employed by them .he would do his own tax returns and pay his own national insurance contribution .

patchem

patchem Report 20 Jul 2014 08:20

If it was a very small business, it will not necessarily turn up on a google search.

Have you considered contacting the local history society for the area, as members will have access to much information that does not show on the internet?

e.g.
http://www.bradfordhistorical.org.uk/

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 20 Jul 2014 08:29

Self- employed could mean he just worked from a shed in his back garden or yard.

if he was a joiner and carpenter, the firewood part would probably be a by-product

My neighbour is a self-employed motor mechanic. he keeps the tools of his trade in a van. and he certainly isn't a registered company

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 20 Jul 2014 08:32

Cawley Lane is situated in Heckmondwike (the full correct name for Wyke)

So he would have worked for a company in the area which had a winding shed

Emma

Emma Report 20 Jul 2014 08:34

Hi
Thanks for the information.
It is Percy I am looking at.
My apologies - I was meant to write that the business was apparently Illingworth and Sons.
Not that this relates but they were the first family in the street and to have a flush able toilet.
Cheers
Emma

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 20 Jul 2014 08:46

If it wasn't a registered limited Company, there are not likely to be records

My motor mechanic neighbour has his son working with him, but you still won't find anything about them at Companies House

Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, just giving practical factual advice

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Jul 2014 09:21

Ricochet,

Wyke is different from Heckmondwike. Wyke is closer to Bradford and falls within that registration district.

Rose

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 20 Jul 2014 09:48

I bow to your superior knowledge

But googling Cawley in conjunction with wyke turns up info about cawley Lane heckmondwike

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 20 Jul 2014 09:55

Emma

If you buy a copy of one the children's birth certs, you should get an accurate address

Emma

Emma Report 20 Jul 2014 11:29

thanks for all the help. in the late 60s they lived at 95 Wyke Lane, Wyke. I will contact the local society (thanks for the link). It could well have been a very small business. I will keep hunting. Thanks all again for taking the time to post comments.

Emma

Emma Report 19 Aug 2014 14:38

Hi everyone
Just thought id mention that I have found out a bit more...there was a firewood workshop in Wyke and it was situated behind the local washhouse. It wasn't just a 'backyard operation' either. I now have a photo but trying to clarify a few more details and see if google search comes up with any more photos.
They lived at 95 wyke lane Wyke aswell.
Ps. As I live in australia it's midnight and will log off so can't answer any possible responses tonight.
Cheers
Emma