Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Switzerland death 1984 Details found

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Aug 2014 22:57

Please could someone help with GRO details for a British person who died overseas.?

I am trying to help someone seeking details of her resting place and thought a death certificate might be a starting point.

Looking for....... Mary Phyllis ASHBEE

EDIT
I see the details on GRO cert. are known, ( see Sylvia's link)
so Thank you for looking, but I don't now need index numbers.

Gwyn

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 11 Aug 2014 23:26

Not as yet finding an entry on FMP on this database

British Nationals Died Overseas 1818-2005

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Aug 2014 23:33

Thank you for looking GlitterBaby.

I'm told that there was a Times newspaper mention of the death, but I don't know details.

Gwyn

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Aug 2014 23:58

Google her name ............ there seem to be several entries, including the following

http://growingupinthench.lefora.com/topic/19403109/Mary-Phyllis-Ashbee#.U-lJ1KPpogs

and

http://parallax-viewpoint.blogspot.ca/2014/08/a-life-revealed.html

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Aug 2014 00:01

the latter link looks very productive for you!

he even gives the obituary from the Times

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Aug 2014 00:08

Thank you for helping Sylvia......

I had been away from this GR site and had only just found the excellent information in your 2nd link.
As ever when researching, it helps to have the fuller picture.

I might try the library for local Kent possible clues this week.

Gwyn

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Aug 2014 00:27

Gwyn ............

it seems that that guy had difficulty getting hold of a death certificate.

I wonder if another way round it might be to find out where her friend died and was buried???

They could just be in the same place.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Aug 2014 00:55

That's a good thought Sylvia.

I have also looked for other family members.
By searching Mary's family in 1911, I found her father was William Henry ASHBEE.

His service record also names 2 other daughters,..

Evelyn b. 14 March 1909 and Patricia b. 26 December 1910.

I found a death in Tower Hamlets for Evelyn after Mary died, so have suggested that the searcher might perhaps get more clues from the informer of Evelyn's death.

I haven't tracked and found Patricia yet.

Gwyn

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Aug 2014 01:05

I just wondered if the two women had lived together for over 30 years, they might have requested to be in the same place.

Ru

Ru Report 16 Aug 2014 11:27

Hello Gwyn,

My relative died in Switzerland and after some difficulty I was able to obtain a death certificate. He was a British Subject, but his death in Switzerland meant they produced the death certificate.

This may have been the case for your relative.

My relative died in 1911, in Neuchatel, Switzerland. The death certificate was complete, but no offer of information on the reason for death.

Good luck,

Sappho

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Aug 2014 16:04

Hello Sappho,

Thank you for the information.

This is not my relative, I got involved in the search through a local plea for help, as Mary, the deceased used to live near here.

I have found in a 1984 local newspaper that a service of Thanksgiving for her life was held in early July 1984 at St Leonards Parish Church, Hythe, but there was no mention of a funeral before or after that event.

Apparently a Will has been located, which expressed a wish to be cremated, but the 3 crematoria nearest here don't have Mary in their records.

Gwyn