Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Butlin's Singer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 22 Sep 2014 22:43

Hi there,

Despite researching my family for over 12 years now, I've only today discovered that my great grandfather Joseph Godon (1908-1981) was a singer at Butlins in the 1940s/50s. He spent quite a few years there apparently.

Any idea if there would be any records about that? I suspect not but worth a try!

Thanks,

Peter

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 22 Sep 2014 22:46

Have you tried asking Butlin's?

Do you have the right surname?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 22 Sep 2014 22:50

?????????

GORDON JOSEPH PATRICK 1908 1981 1981 Deaths & burials Cleveland, Yorkshire, England

Peter

Peter Report 22 Sep 2014 22:52

That's him Jacqueline. He wasn't born with that middle name but he was RC so I assume took it at confirmation.

No, not asked Butlins. Not sure where to start.

He was also apparently won a competition in May 1939, in Middlesbrough, which involved in some capacity Chick Henderson. I know nothing more than that though!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Sep 2014 23:26

This address and email address might help:-

Butlins Archive, Butlins Resort, Upper Bognor Rd, Bognor Regis, W Sussex PO21 1JJ

[email protected]

Kath. x

Peter

Peter Report 23 Sep 2014 00:01

I will email immediately!

Thank you,

Peter

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Sep 2014 00:46

Have you tried Googling his name?

it's amazing what you can find via Google :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Sep 2014 08:49

Butlins Obituaries

www.butlinsmemories.com/other/obits.htm

"Gordon was a remarkable General Duty Redcoat and a ... Perhaps because of necessary changes to the holiday camp ... He was a Butlins' redcoat/singer in ...

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Sep 2014 08:51

Videos of joseph gordon, singer, butlins holiday camp

bing.com/videos

Peter

Peter Report 23 Sep 2014 11:47

Hi again - thank you for the links but I can't see anything jumping out. Did you find something I am not seeing?

Best wishes,

Peter

Dea

Dea Report 23 Sep 2014 12:06

The link to Butlins Obits is about a Gordon ricketts and I can see only video's of a Joseph Gordon Levitt on the bing video link :-S :-S :-S

I don't know what Ann is seeing ??

Dea x

Peter

Peter Report 23 Sep 2014 13:18

Ah thank you - much appreciated but that is why I asked. Just wasn't sure.

Tried to the email again so see if it works now! :)

Peter

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Sep 2014 13:28

Dea - oops :-D

Dea

Dea Report 23 Sep 2014 15:15

:-D :-D

Dea x

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 23 Sep 2014 20:43

which is why I have suggested that just copying and pasting snippets from search results isn't especially helpful :-)

(and re what I think is your edited post below, AnnCardiff, some of us find random unrelated information posted in people's theads, which confuses askers and helpers alike ... and not even deleted then ... at least as irritating ...)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Sep 2014 20:56

just leave it JC - I find your constant criticism of my postings more than a little irritating