Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Russian/jewish names

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brigid

brigid Report 15 Oct 2014 23:12

Hi I'd like to know what became of Sheiner ? b in Russia
and her children Taube Fellman born 3/march 1890 Jacobstadt,
and Khaya Fellman b1891 in Jacobstadt

I'd also like to know more about naming systems ;the first born boy seems to take the fathers name as his own middle name (patronym) in this family
what is tradition for other sons and do daughters take mothers names .

Are names ending "a" automatically girls names ? I have found Mera,Bassa,Shora, as possible siblings for my ggrandfather (from a list on jewishgen)

Update ; SUMMARY

Thanks to all who've helped On my threads +
Alisouns Threads too

A lot of detective work shows that Seina was actually my GGgranfather Samuel Fellman's second wife she ended up in USA as Mrs Jane Fellman

Taube died in manchester
Khaya's name became Tilly or Matilda

Matilda was 20 years younger than half brother George Jacob Fellman
a1900 school register in B'head has guardian/parents name as George

She emigrated to USA with her parents + sisters in 1903

she became a Saleslady in USA and married Leo Jampolsky .

sister Gertrude was born in Manchester 1893 also comes up as Taube Golda Gertty on school + ship records
on US Census 1910 she was aged 15 lost traceof her after that

sister Esther also born Manchester 1897 aged 4 on 1901 census
she was listed as lestraube on the boat passage 1905
but by 1920 was known as Estelle
she married Abraham Clifford

Estella Clifford grave gives b as 1901 death 1987 aged 86 but she was closer to 90

They had 12 half siblings including my GGfather george Jacob
and Barnett the brother Already in NY cited on their boat passages

Barnett Barius + Benjamin turned out to be the same man
as the Barnd who took a ship to US in 1900

his address was given when other siblings David .Bessie and May each travelled independently to US in 1903 and 1904
(he probably had a different name in Russian Latvia too but dont have records )

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1348011 links info on here links with Alisoun's "Are they siblings" Thread

brigid

brigid Report 15 Oct 2014 23:18

when I go to various research pages on Jewishgen putting in" Fellman " answer sometimes come up for Blumenau ..it seems an unlikely spelling variation ..what else could it be ?

Eldest brother may be Nathan Fellman b1868 d1916 prestwich

Gritty

Gritty Report 16 Oct 2014 09:33

Possible death in Prestwich

TAUBE FELLMAN
Gender Female
Birth year 1891
Age 0
Death quarter 4
Death year 1891
District PRESTWICH
County Lancashire
Volume 8D
Page 291
Country England

Edit: not correct as would've been aged 1 at death

brigid

brigid Report 16 Oct 2014 11:19

It's not our Taube as she was still in Russia in 1891 when her sibling Khaya was born .
Thanks for looking Gritty at least I know that its a girl's name now !

Our family seems to stick to same names thru generations

I'm interested in Shora ; He has a sibling called Shora B1885
an uncle/aunt Sorre d1883 as a child
there is a Sore B Fellman + a Sore R Fellman on boats from liverpool -new york in 1905 aged 16 ....

it would help if i knew whether Mera /Bassa/Sora are girls names or not or if there is a male + female version of same name ... Sorre could be Male + Sora female

alviegal

alviegal Report 21 Oct 2014 14:24

Here's the Fellmans going to NY.

Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960 Transcription
Print transcription View image Attach to tree
First name(s) SORE B
Last name FELLMAN
Gender Female
Age 16
Birth year 1889
Marital status S
Occupation TAILORESS
Departure year 1905
Departure day 30
Departure month 8
Departure port LIVERPOOL
Destination port PHILADELPHIA
Destination PHILADELPHIA
Country United States
Destination country United States
Ship name MERION

She has the name Zachariah underneath her name, child aged 11. He has STET written in pencil beside his name. She has N u b ? written besides her name and they have both been scored out.
There is also a David Krenas? a 17 year old tinsmith written above her name and also scored out.

Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960 Transcription
Print transcription View image Attach to tree
First name(s) SORE R
Last name FELLMAN
Gender Female
Age 16
Birth year 1889
Marital status S
Occupation SERVANT
Departure year 1905
Departure day 23
Departure month 8
Departure port LIVERPOOL
Destination port PHILADELPHIA
Destination PHILADELPHIA
Country United States
Destination country United States
Ship name WESTERNLAND

There is 44 year old Chane/Charles Fellman, a labourer. His wife Rivka? 42 and children Devore?boy of 6, Jochebad? girl of 3 and Gedalia, boy of 2 named above her who are all scored through with REJECTEN? beside their names.

Sore has a child, Zachina? Fellman girl of 11 written below her name. They are then scored out and N O B written besides their names.

This probably has nothing to do with your family and will probably only confuse you more. Sorry.

Looking at these, they appear to be the same person trying to emigrate. Zachariah/ Zachina could be the same person, the writing is pretty bad. I'm pretty sure his age is in the male column and then in the female column but this could be a mistake.

alviegal

alviegal Report 21 Oct 2014 15:01

She appears to have managed to get to NY. From ellisisland.

FIRST NAME
Sore LAST NAME
Fellman MARITAL STATUS
Single GENDER
Female AGE AT ARRIVAL
20y ETHNICITY
N/A LAST PLACE OF RESIDENCE
Wolkowich, Russia YEAR OF BIRTH
N/A PASSENGER ID
101716130150 DATE OF ARRIVAL
November 9th, 1909 SHIP OF TRAVEL
Noordam PORT OF DEPARTURE
Rotterdam, Holland

I think passage was paid by H S Winograd, brother in law.
Her nearest relative or friend in country she came from was Leiser Fellman, Porosowa.

brigid

brigid Report 21 Oct 2014 16:44

Truly amazing alvigal ..we've found them .
N oB means not on board so they couldn't travel on 1st boats + later one I'm rushing now but will double check date
the variuos spellings + Sore R vs B was an easy misreading of handwriting / translation from yiddish

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 27 Dec 2014 02:42

I think Sheiner .Fellman was Jane Fellman of 36 price street in 1901
Taube was the child who's death is registered in manchester( zero may just mean age unknown ) The family may have come over at the end of 1891 to join father + eldest son who were in manchester for the census that year .
Khaya was called Tilly in the 1901 census
Mera is May ,Bassa =Bessie , Sora is Sarah on the same census
for some reason Leizer-Mendel is named Samuel L Fellman in this census but he is a draper +his younger childrens names correspond.
I've added it to my thread about "Naturalisation" http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1324681

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 27 Dec 2014 02:47

ps I don't think that sora is ours as she was born 1885 so would have been 20 in 1905

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 27 Dec 2014 06:25

In 1891 ; Mary Betsy and Sarah Fellman attending Manchester jews school
In 1898 Golda fellman b1893 attends same school ..could this be Gertrude who's aged 8 in 1901 census
there is also Rebecca Fellman b1891; if this is Tilly aged 10 in 1901 aka Khaya Fellman born in Russia why does she now use the same 1st name as her married sister who was 20 years older than her ??

I haven't got credits to look at the image ...school records are new on here aren't they ??

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 27 Dec 2014 11:28

Mum's original research turned up a Mrs Jane Fellman in Gore's Directory of 1902
a dressmaker at 36 price street birkenhead
in Kelly's directory 1902 she is Mrs Senie Fellman dressmaker 36 Price street

by 1903 36 Price St is a painters

my notes say there was a Sana fellman aged about 36 on a ship to USA in 1905 ...but i didn't look into this at the time .

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Dec 2014 16:42

This will be the Sana you mention:

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Sana Feldman
Name: Sana Feldman
Arrival Date: 2 Apr 1905
Birth Date: abt 1869
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Hebrew
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Celtic

Her name is scored out, so she didn't travel. Also her children Cilly (? Lilly ? Tilly?) aged 4; Girtz (?) aged 10; Esther aged 5.

If they had travelled, they would have been going to her son, Barnett Feldman, 473 (?) Myrtle Ave., Brooklyn.

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 27 Dec 2014 17:22

i was told that Samuel Fellman travelled with his wife + children on the Oceanic 9th march 1905 last residence liverpool 14yrs to stay with Barnett Felman 478 Myrtle road
Gertz , Tilly +Esther are in NY in 1910 on a census as Gertrude Matilda + Lestraube ;
mother name becomes Jeanie ;elder sisters are \Bessie and Celia (sarah )

brigid has spent all pm in library linking this family thru russia .manchester + birkenhead her subs are due so i will post her results on my naturalization thread
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1324681?page=4

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Dec 2014 21:06

Yes, that time they did actually travel.

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Samuel Feldman

Name:
Samuel Feldman

Arrival Date:
8 Mar 1905

Birth Date:
abt 1855

Ethnicity/ Nationality:
Hebrew

Port of Departure:
Liverpool, England

Port of Arrival:
New York, New York

Ship Name:
Oceanic

Samuel, age 50, a traveller; daughter Sarah, 17, dressmaker; wife Sanna, 36; daughters Tilly (11), Gerty (9), ad Esther (5). All Russian, all Hebrew. It says Samuel & Sarah had been in Liverpool for 14 years.
All going to 478 Myrtle Avenue, Brooklyn.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 27 Dec 2014 21:14

Samuel and Sarah were also on this list, but their names are scored out:

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Samuel Feldman

Name:
Samuel Feldman

Arrival Date:
6 Apr 1905

Birth Date:
abt 1855

Ethnicity/ Nationality:
Hebrew

Port of Departure:
Liverpool, England

Port of Arrival:
New York, New York

Ship Name:
Oceanic

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 27 Dec 2014 23:37

I joined the ellis Island site ; lovely to see the original manifest
and learn they could all read and write but didn't have $50 to their names .i daughter Sarah dressmaker had $10 Samuel had $10.80 and wife sanna had $15
very poignent

I decided to look for brother Barnet ..i think it's him going out in march 1904 on Oceanic to stay with sister who'd paid his passage ..i think this must be the married May ibut i can't read her surname ,address looks like 192 brerun st .Brooklyn he only has 40 shillings in his pocket .

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 28 Dec 2014 13:24

watchmaker David Fellman aged 18 left liverpool +arrived jan1905 possibly heading for same address .. i can't read it tho its on philedelphia manifest

possible marriages for you to look into are May Feldman to moses Ginsberg 15th sep 1905

celia feldman to george devine16/06/1912 Kings NY

Besse A Feldman to Irving Bloch 10 nov 1910 kings

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 30 Dec 2014 08:31

apparently there is a
Barnet Fellman is on brooklyn 1920 census district 4
married to Sarah
child Jacob
I've not seen this myself .

brigid

brigid Report 30 Dec 2014 22:55

I managed to find 478 Myrtle Avenue in the 1905 New York state census ...

The residents were:

Bengeman Falman, 29, born in Russia
Lena Falman, 25, b. Russia
Matilda Falman, 2, b. New York

Benjamin may have died before 1910.
wife Lena and Matilda/Tillie Fellman lived with various members of her Ratner family. in later censuses

I think the transcription of 1910 census for Barnet Jacob fellman is misleading or mistranscribed I've not seen original image but think just because parents were born in Russia + came to USA in 1904 the enumerator may have assumed that Russia is where all the children were born except Samuel born NY

i have found evidence of Barius j fellman's son, Adolf being at manchester Jews school in late 1890's
Annie + Isreal Fellman in same school in 1903

Ru

Ru Report 1 Jan 2015 16:18

Just to help your question on naming system - Russia.

As I understand it::

A patronym, or patronymic, is a component of a personal name based on the given name of one's father, grandfather or an even earlier male ancestor. A component of a name based on the name of one's mother or a female ancestor is a matronymic. Each is a means of conveying lineage. Patronymics are still in use, including mandatory use, in many places worldwide, although their use has largely been replaced by or transformed into patronymic surnames.

so for example Alexandra daughter of Mikhail (Michael)........ has the name Alexandra Mikhailovna - son would be Alexander Mikhailov.

Patronymics are required and are used instead of middle names in Russia.

Jewish naming system may be different, but if you google this you may find some helpful information.

Hope this helps.

Sappho