Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Vail 1804-1883

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 Jun 2015 23:55

Hello all
Hope someone can help me please with this as Ive been having trouble finding the docs to do with his death and grave where he is buried for a long time.

Thomas Vail
Born 8th January 1804
Ringwood, New Forest, Hampshire, England, United Kingdom
Emigrated to Lower Island Cove in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Im looking for some info on he's death and where he was buried as I couldn't find any docs or grave and or info when I was in Canada. I only found he's sons grave.
Thank you
Peggy :-)

Mike *

Mike * Report 9 Jun 2015 00:06

Is this from your tree ?

Thomas Vail
Birth 7 Jan 1804 in Ringwood, Southampton, Southampton, England

Marriage to Mary Paul
1828 11 Nov

Lower Island Cove Newfoundland and Labrador, CanadaBay de Verde District Marriages 1817-1833, Methodist Parrish Records. NFGB Web Site.

1 Source?
Death
1883 20 Feb

Lower Island Cove Newfoundland and Labrador, CanadaPuddester record notes he was a native of Ringwood England.

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Jun 2015 00:46

Yes he is my Great great great great grandfather and Ive been back to Canada 3 times and still never found he's grave or and record of it.

yes thats the dates I have in my tree for he's death but not sure where I got these dates from as they have been there a long time when I first began my tree and didn't really know a lot about tree building and backing your info up.

I did have the marriage though and Ive got a Mary Paul born 1808 and her father was Called John Paul born 1780.

Thank you
Peggy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Jun 2015 05:02

are you sure he died in Newfoundland??

Could he have moved elsewhere in Canada, to the US, or back to the UK?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Jun 2015 05:09

from Sparks Public Family Tree on ancestry ..........

marriage information from .........

1. Newfoundland Vital Statistics
2. Puddester Family Tree, (associated transcribed church and vital records from the Rooms Archives St. John's).

Death information from .........

1. Puddester Family Tree, (associated transcribed church and vital records from the Rooms Archives St. John's).

and everyone appears to copy from everyone else!!!

Have you actually looked at the transcribed church and vital records allegedly at the Rooms Archives, St John's?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Jun 2015 11:02

Presumably his birth, with different spelling of name:

Thomas Veal

in the England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1970
Name: Thomas Veal
Birth Date: 7 Jan 1804
Event Type: Baptism
Father: Thomas Veal
Mother: Jane
Baptism Date: 28 Nov 1808
Baptism Place: Ringwood, Southampton, Southampton, England
Denomination: Presbyterian
Piece Title: Piece 0655: Ringwood, Great Meeting in Meeting House Lane (Presbyterian), 1748-1837

malyon

malyon Report 9 Jun 2015 11:04

Thomas Veal
England Births and Christenings
Christening Date: 26 Nov 1808
Christening Place: GREAT OR UPPER MEETING OR UPPER CHAPEL MEETINGHOUSRINGWOODRESBYTERIAN,RINGWOOD,HAMPSHIRE,ENGLAND
Birth Date: 07 Jan 1804
Father's Name: Thomas Veal
Mother's Name: Jane

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Jun 2015 11:20

This will be him on the Lower Island Cove Voters' List for 1832:

http://ngb.chebucto.org/V1928/1832vl-lower-isl-cv-bdv.shtml

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Jun 2015 20:58

Hello All
SylviaInCanada I tried rooms in st. johns and I looked through loads of records it took me and my sister hours, she's got a life time membership now so we can swap info from Canada to England.

ArgyllGran & Yvonne I think you've answered my question thank you it asked my about named spelling change and I thought it was much earlier on than this so silly me didn't think to go in that direction Im such a doughnut thank you ever so much :-)

All you people are so great at coming up with the answers to my puzzles and you've helped me out in the pasted thank you <3

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 Jun 2015 22:04

To tell you the truth I wouldn't of thought in a million years someones spelling of a surname would change from birth to getting married :)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Jun 2015 22:13

maybe HE did not change the spelling of his name

it could be that the Minister at the Meeting House could not spell the name ........ ie, wrote it down as he thought it was spelled.

If none of the family were literate, or were not allowed to see the register, then they would not know that it was spelled incorrectly.

I think that is a more likely explanation than that the family changed it.

Remember most of our ancestors were illiterate, while some church ministers could be only slightly more literate, and that is why we have all these wild spellings of our surnames!

You need to look further back, and see how Thomas spelled his surname when he married Jane, or how it was spelled when he was born / baptised.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Jun 2015 22:18

there are 2 possible weddings for a Thomas Veal and a Jane on familysearch

Thomas Veal

Spouse's Name: Jane Shepherd
Event Date: 27 Nov 1794
Event Place: Ringwood,Hampshire,England
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M15056-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 0994051 IT 3-5 ,

Thomas Veal

Spouse's Name: Jane Gateril
Event Date: 18 Dec 1791
Event Place: Ringwood,Hampshire,England
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M15056-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 0994051 IT 3-5 ,

mgnv

mgnv Report 10 Jun 2015 08:59

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Vstats/pre-1891-lower-isl-cove-meth-bap-1850-1860-p-1-18-bdv.shtml
http://ngb.chebucto.org/Vstats/pre-1891-lower-isl-cove-meth-bap-1860-1870-p-19-35-bdv.shtml
http://ngb.chebucto.org/Vstats/pre-1891-lower-isl-cove-meth-bap-1870-1875-p-36-52-bdv.shtml
Mar 7, 1850 Lower Island Cove VALE? Thos & Mary Louisa F S.W. SPRAGUE Aug 11, 1850 Methodist Planter
Jan 5, 1858 Lower Island Cove VAIL Thomas & Catherine William M John S. Peach Apr 23, 1858 Methodist
Oct 5, 1859 Lower Island Cove VAIL Thomas & Catherine Thomas M John S. Peach Dec 25, 1859 Methodist
Nov 5, 1859 Lower Island Cove VAIL George & Elizabeth Jabez M John S. Peach July 22, 1860 Methodist
NOTE: No information was recorded in the "Father's Occupation" or the "Remarks" Columns.
Nov 25, 1861 Lower Island Cove VAIL Thomas & Catherine Evelina F Samuel Dove Feb 16, 1862 Methodist
Apr 2, 1863 Lower Island Cove VAIL George & Elizabeth Rosanna F W.E. Shenstone Sept 20, 1863 Methodist
Feb 1, 1864 Lower Island Cove VAIL Thomas & Catherine Thomas M W.E. Shenstone May 22, 1864 Methodist
Oct 15, 1864 Lower Island Cove VAIL George & Elizabeth George M W.E. Shenstone Febr 12, 1865 Methodist
3 months Lower Island Cove VAIL Thomas & Catherine Hyda? F Thos Fox Sept 29, 1866 Methodist
3 months Lower Island Cove VALE George & Elizabeth Amelia Jane F Thos Fox Feb 10, 1867 Methodist
July 15, 1869 Lower Island Cove VALE Thomas & Catherine Jessie F John S. Peach Dec 12, 1869 Methodist
Mar 25, 1870 Lower Island Cove VALE John & Charlotte John Thomas M John S. Peach Jan 19, 1870 Methodist
Nov 4, 1874 Lower Island Cove VAIL George & Elizabeth Josephus R.W. Freeman Feb 14, 1876

http://ngb.chebucto.org/L1871/71-islandc01.shtml
Lovell's 1871
Provincial Business Directory
ISLAND COVE (Bay de Verds)
A large fishing settlement on the north shore of Conception Bay in the district of Bay de Verds. This is merely a sheltered beach, which answers as a fishing station during the summer, but affords no security during stormy weather. Farming is carried on to a large extent in conjunction with the fishery. Distant from Carbonear by road 27 miles. Mail weekly. Population 830.
Vail George fisherman
Vail Thomas fisherman

I think Sylvia's probably right - it's not him that's changing the spelling, but the recorder.

There have also been some settling on the accepted spelling.
For instance, the legal test for settling whether "not guilty by reason of insanity" is available are the M'Naughton rules - I'm sure his name would now be McNaughton.
In my own family, Ancestry shows nearly 16000 instances of the surnames Johnston/Johnstone in 1841 Scotland, of which 21% were spelled Johnstone By 1901, the total number had almost doubled, and now 42% were spelled Johnstone.
It wasn't only surnames - my grandad's aunt was named Christian (after her gran) on her baptism and her first 3 censuses, but on my g grandad's marr, she witnesses as Christina at age 28, and is Christina thereafter. I also looked in 1841 Scotland for the forename Christi* - nearly 35000 hits, of which 64% were called Christian, but by 1901 there're 55000 hits with 5% called Christian, so there were a substantial number of Christians who (like my rellie) renamed themselves Christine or Christina.

Margaret

Margaret Report 28 Feb 2017 10:26

Gosh I didn't receive email to let me know you messaged me and only just seen this thank you so much everyone

Peggy <3